Forums

Help › Forums

Help needed from golfers IRL.

rated by 0 users
Thu, Oct 14 2010 8:15 AM (5 replies)
  • SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Tue, Oct 12 2010 5:01 PM

I don't know all the rules to the game when it comes to a drop ball. They seem to be complicated but interesting. Normally when you lose the ball in the weeds or water, you lose a stroke and start just behind the spot you lost it.

Today at Kiawaia #2, I lost twice my expensive GI-2SD in the weeds. But the game dropped the ball at THE EXACT SAME PLACE I took my previous shot! I'm pretty sure there is a link somewhere that explains the way it must be handled. I've read a bit about USGA rules but saw nothing about it so far.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

• Gregfore
    1 Posts
    Tue, Oct 12 2010 5:38 PM

There's a difference between going in the water and and losing your ball.  If you go in the water you get to drop the ball anywhere back from where you went into the water, in a straight line to where you hit your shot from.  At least in real life that's how it goes. 1 stroke penalty.

Out of bounds or a lost ball is replayed from the same spot. 1 stroke penalty.  So if you loose your ball off the tee, your hitting your 3rd shot from the tees now.

Fairly new to wgt, but in real life that's whats up.

• DaLammer
    29 Posts
    Tue, Oct 12 2010 5:55 PM

Well, if you know the rules of golf - a lost ball results in loss of stroke and distance.  In real golf, you would announce that you are playing a provisional shot, helps in time involved in going back to original place to shoot again, should you find your original ball and you are not out of bounds, you can play the original shot with no penalty.  If you do not find your lost ball, you will play the provisional ball from that point on.  You are not alone in thinking that when you play golf, you drop the ball near where you lost it - many golfers think that's the way you play it.  Lost ball results in a stroke and distance penalty - many golfers dont do that.  Hope this helps.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Tue, Oct 12 2010 6:06 PM

In real life I believe that spot is marked as a lateral hazard meaning you could have several choices for a drop at the expense of 1 stroke but usually within 2 clubs of the point of entry.  In WGT those are not staked meaning it's counted as a lost ball and you have to return to the spot the first stroke was made.

If you lose a ball in real life you only get to drop near your ball if the place where you're ball was lost is staked as either a water hazard "yellow" or lateral hazard "red".

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Tue, Oct 12 2010 7:36 PM

The Official Rules of Golf.

27-1. Stroke and Distance; Ball Out of Bounds; Ball Not Found Within Five Minutes
    • a. Proceeding Under Stroke and Distance
    At any time, a player may, under penalty of one stroke, play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5), i.e., proceed under penalty of stroke and distance.

Except as otherwise provided in the Rules, if a player makes a stroke at a ball from the spot at which the original ball was last played, he is deemed to have proceeded under penalty of stroke and distance.

• b. Ball Out of Bounds
    If a ball is out of bounds, the player must play a ball, under penalty of one stroke, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5).

• c. Ball Not Found Within Five Minutes
    If a ball is lost as a result of not being found or identified as his by the player within five minutes after the player's side or his or their caddies have begun to search for it, the player must play a ball, under penalty of one stroke, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5).

Exceptions:
    1. If it is known or virtually certain that the original ball that has not been found is in an obstruction (Rule 24-3) or an abnormal ground condition (Rule 25-1c) the player may proceed under the applicable Rule.

2. If it is known or virtually certain that the original ball that has not been found has been moved by an outside agency (Rule 18-1) or is in a water hazard (Rule 26-1), the player must proceed under the applicable Rule.

PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE 27-1:
    Match play - Loss of hole; Stroke play - Two strokes.

27.2. Provisional Ball
    • a. Procedure
    If a ball may be lost outside a water hazard or may be out of bounds, to save time the player may play another ball provisionally in accordance with Rule 27-1. The player must inform his opponent in match play or his marker or a fellow-competitor in stroke play that he intends to play a provisional ball, and he must play it before he or his partner goes forward to search for the original ball.

Official rules of golf, relating to lost ball, out of bounds, and water/lateral hazards. I believe the "two club length rule" would apply to (1)unplayable lie, (2)"certain" man made impediments which impedes your swing,(3) are not part of the course, (4)ball comes to rest on cart path.

Hitting your ball in the "weeds" on WGT golf, is considered a "lost" ball, which would incur a penalty of stroke "and" distance.

Hope this helps.....David aka..opd

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 8:15 AM

Well thanks all folks. That sure shed some light on the subject.

One thing for sure, they are a bit quick to declare a ball as "lost". It lands in a bit of weeds and... LOST BALL! Can you at least give me the chance to try it? Normally, taking one of the wedges, selecting PUNCH and whacking if full force will at least move it 10-20 Yards.

It is also possible to recover from the Swilcan Burn! :)

RSS