Forums

Help › Forums

Ball Changes Mid-game

Tue, Jul 28 2020 5:01 AM (43 replies)
  • JDShoemaker
    209 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 7:06 PM

Every time this subject and the One Ball Rule is brought up, I have to ask-if WGT is gong to be a stickler for this one rule, then how about some of the other rules.

i.e. Un-Playable lie, Drop zone or last crossed the Hazard, for balls in the water?

The drops that are given for some of the water shots are ludicrous!  A drop in knee hihg grass.  How about the return to the tee option?  This is a virtual game, and not the real deal, but if u are going to be a stickler for 1 rule thn how about getting some of the others in line?

And for what it is worth, no pity for the guy not stocking up on balls.  I NEVER have less than 3 in my bag and normally at least 6.

JDS

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 11:41 PM

hi

Let me clarify and restate. if your current ball runs out, then it will default to default ball. I am not aware of any change in that.

I will double check tomorrow, as i did fall asleep during one meeting, but as far as I know, it's how should be

-wgticon

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Aug 5 2014 1:41 AM

alosso:
    From my first day here, AFAIR, it was always the players who pointed to the One Ball Rule which fits well into the situation, no officials.

Sorry Alosso, this was stated several times by WGTPizza - below is one example

WGT follows the One Ball golf rule. You can purchase more of the same type of ball if you run out, and continue playing with them, but you can not switch to an entirely new ball in the middle of a match.

Stay classy,

-WGTPizza

But I agree, for the most part it has been the players, not WGT, but NEVER has WGT denied this - surely if this was wrong Icon would have put us right?

The chat with Chad was like seeing a deer in headlights - the most basic questions that had been discussed in the forums seemed like revolutionary ideas to him. No he did not specifically mention the OBR - just muttered about not choosing. Effectively either he had no idea or he is very nervous and could not express himself.

"We don't want to auto select your next ball without you choosing", we give you a fair warning and option to purchase" "We didn't want to make a guess or judge which ball you may prefer"
    Chad asked for feedback in the forums on this.

Well there has been a LOT of requests, still nothing.

Time for WGT officially confirm - Does WGT use the OBR or not? If not when will we get a choice to change the ball and/or why not just DQ the player? After all we get a fair warning!

• alosso
    21,039 Posts
    Tue, Aug 5 2014 1:55 AM

So it was Pizza, too - I stand corrected.

And it's good to see a quote of Chad!

We just had a confirmation of WGT's POW - read Icon. I guess that they will not refer explicitly to the OBR.

Enjoy the night on your side!

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Tue, Aug 5 2014 2:58 AM

Not to flay a decomposing equine, but this topic has been raised over and over.

Everybody will get switched to starter balls in the middle of a good round once. Once is all it will take. Next time you will remember to buy more balls when prompted, but actually you can saunter into the pro shop any time during your round and stock up on balls. You don't have to follow the WGT prompt telling you that you are down to your last ball.

Tee off for 18 holes of single play without a driver in your bag? Yep, that will also happen once.

Did to me anyway.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Aug 5 2014 3:02 AM

alosso:
    We just had a confirmation of WGT's POW - read Icon. I guess that they will not refer explicitly to the OBR.

LOL saw that after I posted! I suppose it is distinct from the OBR - or we would be DQed.

As for enjoying my night - spent the day travelling for a 1 hour meeting lol and now have a tom of stuff to do before the morning (my time).

But you have a great Morning. Afternoon - I spoke to a mate who lives in Munchen - apparently a grey old day there.

But cold here, dark, mounting work load, and still no official rulling from the WGT officials lol.

Edit - Zag, I personally agree, but the subject is mentioned at least once a week. Personally I do not expect it to change, but would it not be refreshing for WGT to give a definitive answer - then at least we can quote that.

• SplashLewis
    358 Posts
    Thu, Aug 7 2014 12:35 PM

srellim234:

SplashLewis:

...My take is that WGT should give you a slightly less performing ball out of your inventory.  So in effect, you are still penalized, but yet get usage on the several partial sleeves you have in your inventory that would otherwise be wasted money, because you never put those in your bag.

Your overall answer was fine, but I have a question about the part of your answer quoted above. Exactly what constitutes a "less performing ball"? Some have more spin but less distance. Some have more distance but less spin. Some have more of both but a lower number on meter speed. Some have less of one or the other but a much more favorable meter speed.

Deciding an exact hierarchy of ball quality is not going to leave a lot of people any happier than they are now with the current policy.They'll still be complaining about not being allowed to substitute what they have in inventory. You're mainly making the situation more complicated.

You misunderstood.  I'm saying give you a ball that you have already purchased, i.e. its in your inventory already..  Now, you are right in that performance is subjective to a persons preference, but its better than the default rock, correct  :). 

• SplashLewis
    358 Posts
    Thu, Aug 7 2014 12:38 PM

"We didn't want to make a guess or judge which ball you may prefer"
    ......so we are going to give you the most screwed up selection possible.....here's your rock.  lol

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 8:33 AM

I don't have an issue with the ball switching to the WGT free ball when this happens, I think it would be too difficult to read the players mind and select another ball from their bag so I'm with WGT here.

I would like for there to be a better counter on the ball.   You start a round and you can see basically where the ball stands in terms of life but it would seem that if the system knows the percent of ball life they would easily know the actual number of hits.  Then I can come to the logical conclusion that my ball isn't going to last 9 or 18 and switch to a new ball, buy a sleeve or deal with the free ball.   

Of course if you dump one in a creek this goes out the window but you knew that when you tied off.    In alt shot you might only hit the ball 9 times plus your putts, still not completely sure if putts use up ball life or not.   You can be pretty low on a ball life and still play 2 or 3 Alt Shot rounds so the number would be good to know.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 4:21 PM

I Want My MTV ! ! ! !

http://youtu.be/9oAEztiPxDY

RSS