Forums

Help › Forums

*** Icon and Shoe uneven lie invitational ***

Sun, Aug 10 2014 12:25 PM (132 replies)
  • TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Thu, Jul 31 2014 3:29 PM

Jaysus, i must have upset somebody. My front 9 was good considering the conditions, actually great if im honest (+3). But this back 9 is a different beast altogether. Maxed out one of the holes, and looking like maxing out another.

Im on hole 15 now with big large squares on every frigging hole, and at + 15 for the back 9 already. Not sure if i want to continue.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Thu, Jul 31 2014 5:50 PM

I believe shoe was messing with my round!!!!!!

approach for birdie with little ts - ended up a tripple

for birdie I think?

had a good chance to get to par for the round, if few breaks went my way. fun though!

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Thu, Jul 31 2014 10:42 PM

Sod it, couldnt take it any more, and had to withdraw. When i couldnt make the green no matter what i tried with attempts like this, then it was time to stop.

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=ece5bb23-ad4c-411a-8a79-a379016f65bb

Not sure why the front 9 and the back 9 where so different?

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Fri, Aug 1 2014 1:59 AM

Two, you had to call a penalty stroke on yourself there at the end as the ball rolled over your own feet - or prance out of the way!

This seems like a setup where it is an honor to complete any hole with a score that has a name. "Snowman" is a name.

• Adalanar
    282 Posts
    Fri, Aug 1 2014 5:51 AM

Actually I was surprised as I though it would be much harder. I entered the round with a very defensive mindset - trying to find the green (or a pitch) that is uphill and save as many pars as I can - I did OK and kept the doubles or worse of my scorecard - now I have the feeling that I could have played much more aggressive for a few more birds - oh well

I never liked slow greens as much as the fast ones - I will suffer a lot in round 4 I assume.

Only goal is to stay ahead of ICON 

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Fri, Aug 1 2014 6:33 AM

Well, at least I have survived to the final round. A touch better than expected as I blistered the course (it blistered me) with a sizzling 105.

The 13th hole crushed me.  1.8 ft. for birdie but breaking left. Lipped out and off the green. Next two chips roll back to my feet. Finally on the green with an uphill putt. Miss and roll back off the green to where I was before. By the time I was done it was a 10. AARRGGHH!

The way you Legends and Tour Legends play this game is incredible. You have my utmost respect. I'll never have those skills.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Fri, Aug 1 2014 8:49 AM

So the 3rd round wasn't too bad. Four birdies, including a lovely straight uphill 40-footer on the 17th and a ticklish downhill slider on the last. 100% of fairways, which on Pinehurst makes the uneven lies aspect not too daunting. Keep it coming!

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Fri, Aug 1 2014 9:16 AM

srellim234:

Well, at least I have survived to the final round. A touch better than expected as I blistered the course (it blistered me) with a sizzling 105.

The 13th hole crushed me.  1.8 ft. for birdie but breaking left. Lipped out and off the green. Next two chips roll back to my feet. Finally on the green with an uphill putt. Miss and roll back off the green to where I was before. By the time I was done it was a 10. AARRGGHH!

The way you Legends and Tour Legends play this game is incredible. You have my utmost respect. I'll never have those skills.

Wow, grats bud, you the only master left in the tourne (don't know if there were others). You'll be much better at UEL whenever you play legend or TL.

Eric

• 2DAMFLASHY
    1,141 Posts
    Fri, Aug 1 2014 9:26 AM

way to hang tuff ,,,,srellim234   ..you an OPY ... are having the MOST funn ... :)

i think opy hit one over by the hotdog stand ... every other hole...just to grab a snak...

gotta keep up them  CARBS !!! ..

:)_~~

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Fri, Aug 1 2014 7:21 PM

Thanks, folks. Actually, I do all right with the UEL. I'm just horrible on tournament speed greens and faster.

I am having fun with the challenge. At these green speeds I view a par or birdie like you are viewing sub-par rounds in this thing. The difference is I get 18 chances at celebrating during every round. I wouldn't want to play slick greens all the time, though.

There's a chance at TM but realistically I'll probably never make it beyond Master. I don't play enough and I don't have the skills. I was arbitrarily placed in the Master Tier when they went to this system; I didn't have the scores to warrant it then but I was improving a little so they bumped me up. Took me until last June just to get my average under 70. It's in the mid/upper 60s mainly due to equipment, not ability.

RSS