Help › Forums

*** Icon and Shoe uneven lie invitational ***

Sun, Aug 10 2014 12:25 PM (132 replies)
  • AgentBrown123
    907 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 5:09 PM

fmagnets:

AgentBrown123:

I found that using distance time 2 and adding 1 more foot was consistently right. For longer putts with uphill and downhill putts, it was spot on. 

That's what I used. x 2 + elevation + 1. Worked perfectly on every putt except the putt from the front of the 4th green, 65ft, 23 uphill. Calc says hit 154. I know these long uphill ones tend to fly, so I tried to go a little under half way up the 300 scale. And it went 18ft past, which is like getting it 36ft wrong on a standard green. Mind-bending!

ahhhh! yeah, I can't really help you on that then. I missed that green all 4 rounds. Didn't have an uphill putt with more then around 5,6 inches uphill.

Obviously it's much more exacerbated with severe uphill putts with these ultra slow greens than normal or tour legend speed.. I'm sure it can be figured out. Perhaps instead of taking off 5, it's 10 consistently. With a little more practice, I'm sure it can be figured out.

• racoondad
    322 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 8:11 PM

Thanks, Icon and Shoe. Great fun.

77-68-73-68 for me playing starter balls.

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 2:41 PM

Other than the 4  blue haired old ladies behind me yelling

" GET OFF THE GREEN " ,

I had a fun final round .

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 6:16 PM

opyeuclid:

Other than the 4  blue haired old ladies behind me yelling

" GET OFF THE GREEN " ,

I had a fun final round .

I let "em play through just so they'd give you a hard time. :)

See you in the next one?

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 7:06 PM

srellim234:
    See you in the next one?

If it is a free one , Yes .   I play for the fun . 

I can see how some of the other better players would like to play for credits . So I guess it is how the next one gets set up . And I can understand that it might be a bit much for to ask Icon & Shoe to set up two different games like this . 

srellim234:
    I let "em play through just so they'd give you a hard time. :)

Yes I know , That was very nice of you .

But ,,,,  when I was at the clubhouse the Old girls kinda got drunk with me . Two of them wanted to aaaaa   Get together .

( Horny old girls ) .

So as a pay back , I told them how to get to your place .    

Enjoy .

OPY

• AgentBrown123
    907 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 7:15 PM

On second though, not sure that adding more credits will really do much apart from deter people away. I might just keep the current setup. Free balls. Maybe make it so the top 5 get free balls though

1st place:5

2nd place:3

3rd:1

4th:1

5th:1

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 9:26 PM

For some reason all of my approaches to uphill greens were coming up 5-8 yards short. I finally wised up to it on 16 and hit this shot, but then I left it 7 yards short on 18 so I guess I didn't learn too much.

As a ding putter who doesn't hit the ding a lot, playing with large meter increments all round is not my cup of tea. I missed a ton of putts which would likely have gone if dinged, and I left an 8-footer for par just short for my only bogey. 4 of 14 on birdie putt attempts with an average approach of 12 feet is not what I would hope for.

Still, this tournament was good fun. I do like the fast greens better since I can always go out to the local goat track if I want slow.

• BillyMayfair
    4,631 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 10:31 PM

just a thanks to Icon and Shoe for putting this on.   May have been only the 4th or 5th time I've played uneven lies and definitely had to go through a steep learning curve (pun intended).  Didn't fare too well but made it through all 4 rounds and had fun doing it.  

The "extreme" conditions mirrored a tourney we have in our CC every month, but your ability to tweak the conditions like those green speeds added even more to it.

Hope it stays free so others like me can play it for fun again. 

Wayne (BillyMayfair)

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Tue, Aug 5 2014 11:13 PM

fmagnets:
    My poor play in that last round was embarrassing frustrating. I tried hard to get a 50something but hit a stupid tee shot on the 3rd 7th and mishit too many putts.

What he said...lol

Another half-dozen burned edges and another 60.  Dinged a straight in, uphill 12-footer on 18....that completely fooled me by breaking.  No 59 for me...and also leaves me just out of the top 3.  Why fall short on only one of your goals after all?   ;-)

Oh, who am I kidding?  I've still got a smile on my face.  'Cause I love these things!  Thanks to Shoe and Icon for putting another one on.  They're always very welcome in my books.  :-)

fmagnets:
    the WGT algorithm for putting is not linear when comparing short and long uphill putts.

Just a thought Mags, but maybe the formula we're using to approximate the WGT algorithm (which I assume is linear?), starts to deviate significantly on those long uphill putts.  It would make sense, since any variation in the power calculation should be amplified by an increase in power.  As possibly illustrated by this quote from one of the best in the game:

fmagnets:
    I know AB and I tend to knock 5 feet of power off the calculation when faced with steep uphillers in normal play

Now, I'm not sure what the exact formula is....but I'll bet Icon or Shoe could tell us.  Anyone know the closest distillery to the WGT offices?  I'm thinking this might require a fairly lengthy interrogation....   ;-)

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 5:20 AM

Jerm65:

...and also leaves me just out of the top 3.  

Joint 3rd Jeremy! Should be good enough for a sleeve for you I hope - surely that shouldn't be settled on countback when a sleeve to each 3rd placer is much fairer???!

Well done to everyone who stuck it out, and to AB for the only sub-60 round. And thanks of course to Shoe and Icon - particularly Icon for deliberately scoring poorly so as not to throw a monkey wrench into the prize-giving order ;-)

RSS