Forums

Help › Forums

Question on Ball Compression

rated by 0 users
Tue, Sep 29 2015 5:43 AM (34 replies)
  • ShadyShank
    629 Posts
    Mon, Jul 21 2014 5:41 PM

Yes, I'm bringing the topic up again, because I believe I have a very valid question, if not point to be made. The new Callaway balls that you can get in yellow, which are also Vapor balls, have the exact same specs as do the Callaways that are $25 cheaper because they aren't vapor.

If I run out of the 2 yellow one's I have, should not the 3 white one's I have with all the exact ratings, and is the same ball without the frills, be placed into play rather than a blank starter ball?

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 3:36 AM

ShadyShank:
    Callaways that are $25 cheaper because they aren't vapor.

Wow $25 dollars you say? What game are you playing?

I'm pretty sure I don't see pro's in RL switch the colour of their balls during rounds.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 5:02 AM

ShadyShank:
    The new Callaway balls that you can get in yellow, which are also Vapor balls, have the exact same specs as do the Callaways that are $25 cheaper because they aren't vapor.

That would be 25 cents and the rule is you finish with the exact same ball as you started with. The alternative to getting stuck with the free ball is disqualification. Don't count on that ever changing.

• ShadyShank
    629 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 5:05 AM

Paul, now you're just be an A-hole, most likely because of a recent previous few post's. If you knew anything about how WGT handles that rule compared to the USGA, you would never say that. And it has nothing to do with the color of the ball. And what's the comment on the 25 bucks about? I was describing the ball I was referring to, as I wasn't positive, at the moment, the # of the ball. That's just says smart ass any way you read it.

It looks like your entire post is meant to incite me into some stupid argument, that probably has a lot of Symantec's involved. Figure out how wgt explains the ball rule before you make yourself look foolish again, and try not to let your opinion of someone decide for you how to deal with anything they say.

• ShadyShank
    629 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 5:10 AM

YankeeJim:
    That would be 25 cents and the rule is you finish with the exact same ball as you started with. The alternative to getting stuck with the free ball is disqualification. Don't count on that ever changing.

That's what everyone has said since I've seen or brought the topic up. But, it will never make sense to me. I've played both the yellow and the regular ball for 1-2 weeks now and there is no difference I've seen.

The 25 cents extra you pay is for the frills (vapor trail) and the different color. Has nothing to do with the performance of the two balls that have identical ratings, and hit identically.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 5:32 AM

ShadyShank:

YankeeJim:

That's what everyone has said since I've seen or brought the topic up. But, it will never make sense to me. I've played both the yellow and the regular ball for 1-2 weeks now and there is no difference I've seen.

The 25 cents extra you pay is for the frills (vapor trail) and the different color. Has nothing to do with the performance of the two balls that have identical ratings, and hit identically.

The normal Callaways, the Yellow Callaways and the Vapor Callaways are 3 different type of balls.  They might have the same specs, but that doesn't matter.  The Wgt program will see them as 3 different type of balls.

When you are on your last ball, you get that message that pops up...asking if you want to purchase another pack. If you answer yes to that, then you will get the same type of ball you are using and not another one with the same Specs or cheaper.

-Roger

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 5:39 AM

ShadyShank:
    That's just says smart ass any way you read it.

Not something that could ever be said of you.....unless you remove the word smart from the sentence.

Save yourself any bother and just realise the ball rule is what it is and will not be changing.

ShadyShank:
    Symantec's*

Ha Ha Ha !! semantics.

* Norton anti-virus is rotten.

• alosso
    21,045 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 5:42 AM

+1 Roger!

"same ball" means same order number.

Balls with different colours have different order numbers, balls with different logos have different order numbers.

In simple words: Balls appearing at different spaces of the ball list are different,
    thus do not comply with WGT's One Ball Rule.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 7:11 AM

ShadyShank:
    And what's the comment on the 25 bucks about?

Erm, I think he was poking fun of the slip you made about the price difference being $25, not 25 cents like it actually is.

On the way WGT handles the situation, be happy it isn't like RL. Ever see Tin Cup and Kevin Costner's 3W shot?   :-)

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 7:52 AM

It's not WGT's responsibility to provide substitutions or an order of substitution when balls run out. The rule they enforce is the rule in this game. It's their game design; they can do what they want (or not do what they can't or won't).

The main problem still comes back to a WGT lack of effective communication. The one attempt at explaining it from their end involved simulating the One Ball Rule, which does not apply to club level tournament play, social games that count for handicap purposes and especially practice rounds. That WGT explanation simply doesn't work. I would much rather have a moderator step in and say that they can't make the rule more realistic it at this time with the programming they have in place. And point out they simply have too many higher priority issues they're working on.

WGT used that explanation a long time ago to explain the inability to split up iron sets to take out some irons and replace them with more wedges and hybrids. The programming didn't allow it and they weren't going to attempt it. End of story. It doesn't mean it won't happen a year or two or ten in the future but not now. No reason to even argue or discuss it right now. That pretty well stopped the threads.

Instead we get silence from WGT and constant arguments between members regarding ball substitution. WGT should weigh in with an effective statement and shut the arguments down one way or the other. Is someone eventually going to look at the programming to see if it can be done in the future or not?

BTW, the PGA and USGA established by precedent that a different color of the exact same ball with no other attribute changes counts as the same ball under the One Ball Rule. When Nike introduced the Nike One Black years ago  the players promoting it were able to use the white version on par fours and par fives while using the black version on par threes.

RSS