Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Math (not for the faint of heart)

Wed, Aug 27 2014 2:47 AM (74 replies)
  • 10esee
    5 Posts
    Tue, Aug 5 2014 9:07 PM

The physics of the game are so frustrating, and it isn't just the putting.  Can someone please tell me how it's possible to hit from the fairway, going WITH the wind, and still land almost 10 feet shy of the "maximum" distance rating of the club.  I could understand if one were hitting upslope, but on a relatively flat hole.  Come on now.  Awful, just awful design.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 1:38 AM

pdb1:
    I'm using the half and half method I guess . Move the flag a little and miss the ding a little . That isn't teaching me enough about the dots .

Try to putt by just missing ding.   No half and half.

If it's a very fast break, then that is the only time I would move aim and still miss ding.

-Roger

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 3:26 AM

mantis0014:

If it's a very fast break, then that is the only time I would move aim and still miss ding.

I'm a move the marker and try to ding putter but on severely breaking putts I sometimes miss into the break a bit.  Early for a left to right, late for right to left.

I only do this on pretty short ones though and have zero idea whether it actually helps at all.  I think it's more psychological to be honest.

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 4:16 AM

MainzMan:
    I think it's more psychological to be honest

Mainz, as a " miss ding" putter, I can attest to the fact that there are breaks where "miss ding" alone will not compensate enough, you must use both ( move marker and miss on correct side ) so it would seem, conversely, this would also be true, however, given the fact that you can move the marker anywhere on the green, if you move it sufficiently to begin with to compensate for the break, then it may well be "psychological".

Doc :)

• 10esee
    5 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 11:57 AM

Thanks bud, I was a little frustrated when I posted this lol.  I have made a 37 foot putt since then which got me back into the swing of things.

• juggss6
    121 Posts
    Fri, Aug 22 2014 5:06 PM

10esee:

Thanks bud, I was a little frustrated when I posted this lol.  I have made a 37 foot putt since then which got me back into the swing of things.

Don't feel bad, this game still frustrates me every time I play it and I feel I have pretty decent gear.

• TCorliss
    82 Posts
    Mon, Aug 25 2014 4:47 AM

Lol not a math genius and I dont even use percentages, i use feet on the meter. T12 is basically minus 3 feet per ten plus or minus rise or fall. Works for me 95% of the time.

RSS