Forums

Help › Forums

Best Ball

Wed, Jun 25 2014 11:01 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • thatcanadianguy
    557 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 10:29 AM

It would really great to see this as one of the types of golf we could play here. It would be a great extension to the Alternate shot format already in place and it should take that much more programing to implement .

We have

Stroke Play

Match Play

Alternate shot

Skins

It would be nice to see Best Ball there as well

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 10:49 AM

Best ball is a difficult one. A lot of what determines the better of the two shots is preferrence. It is not as simple as who has the longer shot or who is closer to the green.  It is a cool format, just hard to do online.

WGTdbloshoe

• thatcanadianguy
    557 Posts
    Sun, Jun 22 2014 6:29 AM

WGTdbloshoe:

Best ball is a difficult one. A lot of what determines the better of the two shots is preferrence. It is not as simple as who has the longer shot or who is closer to the green.  It is a cool format, just hard to do online.

WGTdbloshoe

I think you are getting best ball mixed up with Scramble.

in Best Ball :

Best ball can be played using 2-, 3- or 4-person teams. Each player on the team plays his or her own golf ball throughout the round, and on each hole the low score - or "best ball" - of the group serves as the team score.

• Slojoeguam
    163 Posts
    Mon, Jun 23 2014 12:22 AM

WGTdbloshoe is getting Best Ball confused with a scramble format. Personally, i would like to see a scramble format here on WGT, two man teams against each other. It's not hard to do online, the Cases team ladders for Links were all scrambles. After all team members have hit, the software gave you way to indicate which players shot you wanted to use. All team members then hit from that spot and so on. Low team score wins. It's very enjoyable.

• PTrenter
    435 Posts
    Tue, Jun 24 2014 1:52 AM

Four Ball format would be great to see included here.  It's not a million miles away from what we already have.  We can already split four players into two teams(Alt Shot) and we can already have 4 player multi-player rounds.

A nice inclusion alongside this would be to choose who putts first out of your team but that's probably more tricky to code.

• alberich35
    858 Posts
    Tue, Jun 24 2014 2:18 AM

PTrenter:

A nice inclusion alongside this would be to choose who putts first out of your team but that's probably more tricky to code.

Nice idea as in pétanque(french bowling) in a team you have "tireur" et "pointeur".

• JimH123A4
    8 Posts
    Tue, Jun 24 2014 1:41 PM

I like the idea of a 4 man scramble. I was thinking about this while reading the lengthy post,  "Latest Feature Requests".

What I remember about playing  4 man scramble IRL (in real life)  is a team consists of 4 players; Player A (lowest handicap) Player B (2nd lowest handicap) ect.  The team posts 1 score per round only. So it might work in a bracket or speed bracket format.

I understand the issue about who on the team putts first. IRL the strategy we used was a player would putt first to gage the break and speed while the other team members watched. Usually the best putter putted last.

I have no idea if it's possible to program. It would be fun though.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Jun 24 2014 2:14 PM

WGTdbloshoe:
    Best ball is a difficult yellow one.

There ya go, FTFY.  ;-)

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Tue, Jun 24 2014 4:42 PM

WGTdbloshoe:
    Best ball is a difficult one.

For this game just take the nearest provided it's also fway, and work back from that.

Guess there would be some good degree of programming, thinking it through, but I don't see "personal preference" standing in the way of getting a good "sim" of it going.

As a previous poster pointed out you are getting it confused with this:) ?...Fast and furious fun.

• reddevil2811
    6 Posts
    Tue, Jun 24 2014 7:09 PM

how do i delete card details?

• PAGES
RSS