Forums

Help › Forums

pw on a 40-50% lie

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 1 2010 11:50 PM (3 replies)
  • supermex79
    31 Posts
    Fri, Oct 1 2010 10:10 PM
    My game was going great for once..just parring along..I just needed to finish 18th hole on BethPage Black...came us a little short 16yd to pin...No problem..chipped great all night..using my starter wgt pw I went almost full meter on a chip shot..ball bounced 2 ft..OMG..not this crap again....tried again..full meter...it went 3 ft..and still in rough...I finally hit it again full meter and it sails across the freaking green 15ft..A triple bogey for what should have been a par or bogey at the most..This cost me added shots...what am I doing wrong..just out of the blue I will get those shots that go nowhere or roll back into a bunker...this makes me so PO.....Someone please give me some helpful hints... thanks
  • borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Fri, Oct 1 2010 10:29 PM

supermex79:
    My game was going great for once..just parring along..I just needed to finish 18th hole on BethPage Black...came us a little short 16yd to pin...No problem..chipped great all night..using my starter wgt pw I went almost full meter on a chip shot..ball bounced 2 ft..OMG..not this crap again....tried again..full meter...it went 3 ft..and still in rough...I finally hit it again full meter and it sails across the freaking green 15ft..A triple bogey for what should have been a par or bogey at the most..This cost me added shots...what am I doing wrong..just out of the blue I will get those shots that go nowhere or roll back into a bunker...this makes me so PO.....Someone please give me some helpful hints... thanks

The starter wedges don't do well at all 30/40% and even worse from 40/50% rough with the chip. You need to use either the pitch or the flop shot from there. Also I used to use the punch shot from there. The better wedges are better from the 30/40 and 40/50 % but it is still a good idea to pitch instead of chip.

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Fri, Oct 1 2010 11:00 PM

This is what I do and it never fails. Now to begin with I'm a "tour pro" with the Taylor Made Burner Set. So that may make a little difference but, not much. Unless I'm right on the cusp of the either the fringe and the green or the rough and the fringe I never and I mean never chip. Depending on how far I'm back in the rough I sometimes pitch. But what I mostly do is break out my smallest wedge (by smallest I mean the smallest rated wedge in distance)(i have 3 wedges in my bag that rate at 98yds, 77yds, and 50yds.) which is my 50yd wedge and use full swing.

Now with your shot there it would depend on if I'm hitting uphill or not. If your level with the green then at 16yds. I would pitch. But if you do that don't forget about the roll of the ball afterwards. But if I'm below the green and haveing to hit the ball up the hill onto the green then I use full swing. For example. If I had 16yds to go and I wasn't level with the green, meaning I had to hit the ball upwards onto the green, then using full swing I pull back first adding my distance to the pin, then taking into account the lie, in this case 40-50%, and lastly adding a little more distance for the uphill shot, let's say about 4ft. So in total I would pull back to about 21-27yds and let her go. It almost always puts me within about, anywhere from 2-10ft. of the pin. But if you were level with the green then I would just pitch. And at 16yds. and a lie of 40-50% I would pull back a little less than 16yds. Why? Because as soon as you hit that ball it will hit the green and start rolling. So if I were you I would go play some practice rounds and intentionally hit your approach shots around the surrounding areas of the green. That includes rough and bunkers and whatever else you can find.

Hope this helps. Again I will state this is just what I do and it works for me. Not saying that you have to do this or that there isn't another way. There are plenty of people on here way more qualified than I am to give advice. But again it works for me. Good luck and don't just take my opinion wait to see if anybody else respond's to your question and then go try everything that everybody suggested and see what works.

• lkennedy
    194 Posts
    Fri, Oct 1 2010 11:50 PM

In this case I would add the 40% and flop about 20 yds to the left of the pin.  If the green is fast, use backspin. 

RSS