Help › Forums

Tier progression

Mon, Jan 9 2023 3:50 PM (175 replies)
  • alosso
    21,038 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2022 4:38 AM

+1!

DodgyPutter:
    What you generally encourage may do no harm to when promotion comes, but it will be no help either.
    This makes it have no sense towards tiering up.

One negative effect is that you practice less on the last holes, depriving you of experience.

DodgyPutter:
    What it will do is cost xp, so it's effect will be to make it take longer to level up.
    True - the majority of "end of game" XPs is being missed for the benefit of a few strokes saved. That's why I used to play more tournaments than private rounds.

• alosso
    21,038 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2022 4:54 AM

I may have misunderstood you...

pdb1:
    alosso:
    The "real goal" is to collect the necessary number of rounds which together form the desired average.

Collect the necessary number of lower than average ranked rounds . As 1,000 or 25,000 higher than average won't help

I agree to take out the big number. Otherwise,I disagree: One round above the average may fix it.

To tier up, you need a pool of scores comprising the threshold average. These are a mixed bag above and below that number. If you need 60.00, you may have 57s to 63s for 60.001. Next game, a 62 may kick out a 63 to seal the deal.

• alosso
    21,038 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2022 2:30 PM

pdb1:
    Alot of good points on how alot of what I said is not currently relevant . Back then there was alot of fear , yes , fear . About not completing a round . And God forbid raise ones game completion % . And change the color of your ball .
    Ah - THAT ball!

That was definitely worrysome in multiplayer rounds back then - to a major part induced by WGT server faults, IMHO.

pdb1:
    Many did not know that game completion was turned off in the unlimited play . I can see that was a main point I was trying to stress .
    It was not a thing in any single player game, practice, ranked, tournament single or multiple play!

pdb1:
    If players do not know what a beneficial format Single Player Unlimited Play Ranked Rounds are . For many modern reasons .
    Partly true in that context, but not in this current "tier progression" discussion.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2022 3:08 PM

pdb1:

DodgyPutter:
    Nine-hole rounds would need to be avoided making it almost impossible.

What ? Since the beginning WGT has counted 9 hole rounds as the same as 18 holes .

pdb1:
    You must have meant something else .

Yes, I meant, and said, something else.

As for higher scores (than the average needed) counting, of course there will be some. If you needed 500 rounds and an average of 60, unless you never scored under 30/60 there would obviously be scores above it.  As most of the higher tiers have odd numbers required it would be an extraordinary feat to be promoted with 1,000 55's, for example. Nine-hole rounds would need to be avoided, making it almost impossible.

I was saying if you wanted to score 55 each time then nine-hole rounds would need to be avoided.

pdb1:

What ? Since the beginning WGT has counted 9 hole rounds as the same as 18 holes .

IE :

9 = 72

18 = 72

I think I know what you mean.  Wgt counts 9-hole rounds as well as counting 18 holes, you simply double the score. 

9=36

18=72

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2022 3:40 PM

DodgyPutter:
    I was saying if you wanted to score 55 each time then nine-hole rounds would need to be avoided.

Actually, a case could be made that it's easier to score 27 in a 9-hole ranked round (doubles to 54) than it is to score 55 in an 18-hole round.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2022 4:19 PM

Lol, it was exactly 55, please let me stop this.  I was just trying to show how higher scores (than the average) were always included in a promoted average. The only alternative was to score whatever the average needed for promotion was (in the case used 55) 1,000 times (or however many are needed).

SamSpayed:
    Actually, a case could be made that it's easier to score 27 in a 9-hole ranked round (doubles to 54) than it is to score 55 in an 18-hole round.

Not just arguable that it is easier but inarguable that it's not at least equally as easy.  Any 55 has to include a 9 that's 27 or lower, so if you'd played it as two-nines you'd get a 54 and a 56 onto you average (or a 52 and a 58 or .....).  Playing 18 when trying to lower your average is daft.

• Pdss1ear
    187 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2022 6:40 PM

And this whole discussion is mute because wgt doesn’t adhere to the “old” published criteria for Torrington up anyway.  I was promoted from touring pro to master with an average above 68. So there’s that.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Nov 5 2022 3:20 AM

pdb1:

Mythanatos:
    you could have finished them all and would have tiered up at the  same time. 

That is not even close to true . And sounds like something you would berate me for saying .

It's absolutely true, not an opinion to be debated, simple fact.

RSS