Forums

Help › Forums

Tier progression

Mon, Jan 9 2023 3:50 PM (175 replies)
  • Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Thu, Nov 3 2022 7:40 AM

pdb1:
    p.s. Of my 5000 ranked rounds in my stats . There were easily 25,000 more 8.5 hole rounds i never finished . easily maybe more . But the option to finish was there on every round . I had very poor internet during that time . Was a struggle for ever . I didn't care about (w)racking up a high number of ranked rounds . I only wanted to finish rounds that lowered my average . That was just me .

You have zero grasp of the relationship between ranked rounds/saturation/and tier advancement. 

you could have finished them all and would have tiered up at the  same time. 

I've seen you post your method before. It's ridiculous. doesn't accomplish what you think it does. 

Let's say it takes 500 Ranked Rounds to advance. Whenever you have  your best 500 rounds that place your average below the tier up mark; you advance.

it doesn't matter if you have 500 ranked rounds or 25000. quitting out of them accomplished nothing. You took the time to play them and They would be dropped off anyway. 

• alosso
    21,038 Posts
    Thu, Nov 3 2022 9:49 AM

+100!

The next flaw:

pdb1:
    I only wanted to finish rounds that lowered my average .
    The practice of aborting rounds is as nonsensical as the stated goal, "lower my average".

Many of the rounds that lower your average in the first place will later be dropped off, too. This is because they are good enough in the moment but not good enough for your march to the new tier.

For example, a 66 round will lower your 67 average but it will not contribute to your 63 goal. Alas, it's a legit part on your way to the new tier.

The "real goal" is to collect the necessary number of rounds which together form the desired average.

That said, I beg you, Paul, to stop using the text following "Archives". It only carries this wrong myth about aborting rounds - it makes no sense at all!

• alosso
    21,038 Posts
    Thu, Nov 3 2022 5:37 PM

pdb1:
    But as I said . I finished way beyond saturation . And then 1,000 more . Why did those rounds not progress my tier ?

Nevermind , I know why . They weren't below my average .

Sorry, I don't find such statement in two years of this thread.

But, after saturation, scores above average may count, too - if they lower the average by kicking higher scores out.

• alosso
    21,038 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2022 2:07 AM

I assumed that it is your archive.

pdb1:

alosso:
    That said, I beg you, Paul, to stop using the text following "Archives". It only carries this wrong myth about aborting rounds - it makes no sense at all!

First those are archives of mine . Posts written by me , in the past , and archived .

And to state that what i wrote is a " wrong myth about aborting rounds " is also incorrect .

I didn't state that. Rather, your report on this game abortion method carries, supports the myth. Adverse circumstances may explain the cancellations but it's not a good practice to work on the average.

pdb1:
    And still unproven that it actually had negative effects .
    Not my claim either. I said, "It makes no sense."

To counter, I'd say that there is no negative effect in completing a bad game.

I also read your post as general advice - it goes well beyond a personal report.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2022 4:14 AM

pdb1:
     But the proper way to utilize the unlimited play format to your advantage . Is to end the round before the 9th or the 18th hole . You do this by either just ending the round and replaying it at another time . Or the proper way is to click the menu and click " restart " . That is only available in these unlimited play rounds . Whether you just end the round before it is over or click " restart " . It will not effect your game completion percentage or your average . You can do this as many times as you want . Before the end of the round . The only round that counts is the one you finish . 

So technically you could play until you got a score lower than your average . Finish the round that is lower than your average . ( this is if you are not saturated . ) Then your average will only go down .
       If you are saturated in your tier . None of this matters . Because any score above your average is thrown out , will not count in any format . 

As you acknowledge in the final paragraph "if you are saturated in your tier, none of this matters.".  As saturation is (with continued ranked rounds) inevitable then none of it matters at all. 

If you keep the higher scoring rounds you will reach saturation with a higher average but when there it will go down faster, as higher scores are being replaced.  The average needed will be reached at exactly the same time either way.

As for higher scores (than the average needed) counting, of course there will be some. If you needed 500 rounds and an average of 60, unless you never scored under 30/60 there would obviously be scores above it.  As most of the higher tiers have odd numbers required it would be an extraordinary feat to be promoted with 1,000 55's, for example. Nine-hole rounds would need to be avoided making it almost impossible.

What you generally encourage may do no harm to when promotion comes, but it will be no help either.  What it will do is cost xp, so it's effect will be to make it take longer to level up.

RSS