Forums

Help › Forums

Kiawah Hole 10 from legend tees

rated by 0 users
Wed, Sep 22 2010 10:35 AM (5 replies)
  • jimbean346
    3,006 Posts
    Tue, Sep 21 2010 6:16 AM

Have tried submitting a bug report via the requested method but it freezes on my screen.

Playing from the legend tees on Kiawah 10, I have two issues that I have now faced on multiple occasions:

1) On approach to the green, if I click anywhere left of the ding line, the ball is thrown miles to the left. For example, I just hit a 162 yrd approach with a 3 mile wind from straight right to left. Having aimed just to the right of the pin, I have missed the ding by 1 pixel to the left. The ball subsequently flew left straight into the bunker.

2) Problem 1 leads to problem 2. A 15/20% lie in the left hand bunker doesn't seem to react properly. With my 64deg wedge (50yrds), I normally play a full swing at around 35-40% of power for a 13yrd bunker shot. Doing this from this trap moves the ball precisely 3yrds straight into the heavy rough.

Any comments from other users would be helpful.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Sep 21 2010 7:27 AM

It seems you're approach shot going left on a 3 mph wind blowing right to left is a result of VEM. The VEM is about equal with the wind, especially on single digit wind. It's hard to make a distinction between the two for some members in any tier. IMO.

I've had that same problem in that bunker too. I adjusted my hitting strength to just under 50% with top spin, and was able to hit the ball within 3' of the pin. There's a small variance in the shot, and it's easy to hit it to hard as well. It's difficult to find a happy medium from that bunker.

• jimbean346
    3,006 Posts
    Wed, Sep 22 2010 6:54 AM

Richard4168:

It seems you're approach shot going left on a 3 mph wind blowing right to left is a result of VEM. The VEM is about equal with the wind, especially on single digit wind. It's hard to make a distinction between the two for some members in any tier. IMO.

I've had that same problem in that bunker too. I adjusted my hitting strength to just under 50% with top spin, and was able to hit the ball within 3' of the pin. There's a small variance in the shot, and it's easy to hit it to hard as well. It's difficult to find a happy medium from that bunker.

Thanks for your reply Richard. I'd be surprised if it was the VEM just simply because a single pixel left click with a mid-range G10 iron wouldn't normally behave in such a wild manner with only a slight wind. Also to have it happen once, I can realistically put it down to such a point, but to have it consistently happen everytime I click early on only that hole makes it seem as though there is a bug affecting the shot.

Glad to see others experience the same with the bunker; surely a matter that needs looking at as it's inconsistent with the rest of the game.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Sep 22 2010 7:04 AM

jimbean346:
    1) On approach to the green, if I click anywhere left of the ding line, the ball is thrown miles to the left. For example, I just hit a 162 yrd approach with a 3 mile wind from straight right to left. Having aimed just to the right of the pin, I have missed the ding by 1 pixel to the left. The ball subsequently flew left straight into the bunker.

This sounds pretty accurate, jb. Even though it was only a slight wind you know if you click on the wrong side of the wind the wind effect is full. Take that fact and add it to the normal deviation of the club(in this case maybe you caught the max deviation) and that trap is a very real possibility. There isn't much room to the left of the pin there so I would believe the result.

As for Kia's sand traps, I don't trust a single one of them. What work's in one doesn't always work for another. Heh-look at that  gem guarding the green on #4. 12 yards away from the pin there takes a 50% 64 wedge to get out . Go figure.  :-)

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Wed, Sep 22 2010 10:23 AM

jimbean346:

The bunker is right in front of the green on that approach, it sounds like to me, you missed a little left, but were also well short. (not enough carry / loft)

The bunker is Hard sand. Shots are going to react very differently. I avoid backspin from the hard sand (The vibration stings my hands a bit LMAO) I haven't been in that bunker enough to know what my best shot from there is. 

YankeeJim:
    As for Kia's sand traps, I don't trust a single one of them. What work's in one doesn't always work for another. Heh-look at that  gem guarding the green on #4. 12 yards away from the pin there takes a 50% 64 wedge to get out . Go figure.  :-)

I usually am able to Flop out of the bunker with my Ping 64* - full meter.. aim well left and let it roll down, usually to within 2 feet.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Sep 22 2010 10:35 AM

birdwell:
    I usually am able to Flop out of the bunker with my Ping 64* - full meter.. aim well left and let it roll down, usually to within 2 feet.

Hi, Bird-I used to do that but that 64 wedge is so friggin accurate and easy to map I just use it 90% of the time. Heh-makes it easy to be lazy.  :-D

RSS