Forums

Help › Forums

Posting replies to messages

Fri, Sep 17 2010 2:59 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • pattonto
    63 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2010 10:28 PM

I find it difficult to post a reply to messages.

You end up trying to post it a few times before it actually accepts the command.

Then all of a sudden you've replied 2 or 3 times.

I know I'm not the only one having a problem because friends often reply to me 2 or 3 times.

• JohnHancock
    1,905 Posts
    Fri, Sep 17 2010 3:15 AM

Agreed, this drives me just about insane.  It has never been fixed since private messages were introduced.

Also, the line formatting often doesn't work first time around.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Sep 17 2010 3:36 AM

JohnHancock:
    It has never been fixed since private messages were introduced.

That's right.

The workaround is to reply to your messages from your messages overview page, instead of from the message itself.

If you click the  ("Quick Reply") icon on that overview page, you'll be able to submit your reply at first go without any errors.

Since the last update, similar errors have started appearing here in the forums as well. I sometimes need to resubmit the same forum post 3 or 4 times before it actually registers; otherwise, the edit window just comes back up, same thing as with PMs.

(Speaking of PMs and forums, it would really be nice if WGT.com gave us an option to log in to this site, if not to play the game itself, then at least to read and reply to our PMs, when visiting WGT.com on the iPhone or iPad. The log-in fields on WGT.com are currently hidden in Flash that doesn't get displayed on iOS.)

• pattonto
    63 Posts
    Fri, Sep 17 2010 4:02 AM

So it appears as if everyone has the same problem.

The problem if you use the quick reply is that you can't read the threads.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Sep 17 2010 4:22 AM

pattonto:
    The problem if you use the quick reply is that you can't read the threads.

Yes. There's another workaround for that.    What I do is, I open the thread in a new browser tab and keep the main threads overview page open in the original browser tab. So, I read the delivered PM in its own browser tab, but when I need to reply to it, I switch to the original browser tab with the messages overview, and click the "Quick Reply" arrow there.

What I also do often, is I read the PM in the email delivered to me, and reply to it from the threads overview page. I can always look in the email message if I need to consult the text of the PM I'm replying to.

Another problem with PMs is that, unlike here in the forums, the Quote button, for some reason, isn't available when replying to a PM, although it would definitely be useful.

Also, there seems to be no way to send a PM to more than 1 player (or if there is, please let me know how to do that).

Lots of bugs all around the PMs feature, as can be seen.  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Sep 17 2010 4:46 AM

I think what the Op was referring to is the lag when you try to answer a PM. Even just getting to the PM is a pain. I just tried to get to your first referenced link and got this, something that happens more times than not........

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Sep 17 2010 10:27 AM

Yeah, that error message appears as well (quite a separate bug), but it appears just about anywhere on WGT.com, for example when you try to open some random player's profile page.

Simply put, the site seems to be overloaded and can't handle all the incoming page requests, or handle them fast enough, no matter if we're talking about submitting PMs or just displaying page content.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Sep 17 2010 11:51 AM

Faterson:
    Also, there seems to be no way to send a PM to more than 1 player (or if there is, please let me know how to do that).

There is, but like anything else around the message feature its buggy.

Simply start a message to a friend, then click your curser in the recipients field and type the name of the next friend.  If you're lucky a pop-up appears with a matching name on your friends list.

If you're not so lucky..........

even though edstang is on my friends list it doesn't find him. : (

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Sep 17 2010 12:10 PM

Not exactly intuitive, is it?

Anyway, it's buggy in more ways than one:

1. As you say, names of your friends don't get suggested as they should. I just tried sending you a PM in this way, but your name did not appear in the list. I tried 2 other friends, again with no success.
    2. Adding more recipients only works for new PMs. However, sometimes I may wish to add an additional recipient at a later stage in a conversation, and this isn't possible here. (The cursor can't be placed in the Recipients field at all; in fact, the Recipients field itself is missing in the buggy reply-form inside a thread.)

Sometimes I wonder why WGT chose to implement this Flash-heavy discussion forum, instead of relying on a tried-and-tested, virtually bug-free solution such as the standard phpBB or vBulletin discussion forum software package. Everything we've been saying for many months doesn't work here, works perfectly in phpBB or vBulletin.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Sep 17 2010 12:21 PM

Faterson:
    Thanks Andy!  Not exactly intuitive, is it?

You're welcome!

And I agree its not intuitive, I stumbled on to it purely by chance.

• PAGES
RSS