Forums

Help › Forums

LEGENDS DRIVER NEEDED ASAP!!!!!!

Fri, Sep 10 2010 1:05 PM (32 replies)
  • Mike3226
    2,683 Posts
    Thu, Sep 9 2010 8:57 AM

Hey Neil - you responded to my post before it was posted lol.  Maybe I went back in to edit?

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, Sep 9 2010 9:28 AM

mike, I am just psychic.

I thought we were supposed to get pts for posts, I haven't received any so far.

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Thu, Sep 9 2010 9:30 AM

neildiamond11790:
    I also guess at Whistling Straights Bubba Watson played a Par 5 Driver/Lob wedge.  Guess that was unrealistic, excpept it happend.

The PGA has recently been moving the tees up on some holes in championships in order to play up the risk/reward nature of certain holes. I'm not sure if this was the case on that particular par 5.

If I remember correctly, at the British open, they were not playing from the back tee on #17.

Legends do get a break here on BPB #15, and a small one on #7. #11 is the same tee as the masters

Also we play #2 and #3 at Kiawah island shorter than the masters tees.

IMO, The back 9 at Kiawah is the only 9  where the advantage for masters over legends is overwhelming.

I think the problem here is not with equipment exactly. WGT really dropped the ball when they handed us out the same number of Level points as the masters. By the time they get around to releasing new equipment, the problem will not change, as they will be at the same level as we are.

• MJS74
    341 Posts
    Thu, Sep 9 2010 9:41 AM

birdwell:
    IMO, The back 9 at Kiawah is the only 9  where the advantage for masters over legends is overwhelming.

hmmmm. 

St Andrews, 4,5,7 all considerably longer, 9,10,12 drivable for masters in most conditions not legends. 14 no longer reachable in 2 unless with a strong wind behind in which case you can't hold the green, 15 longer by 3 clubs, 17...forget it if the wind is in your face or is blowing off the right.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, Sep 9 2010 11:18 AM

Birdwell, please show me proof that any of those holes are played the same or shorter.  11 at BPB is longer, I know that tee very well.  Same with Kia #3.  Master I had no more then 80yds to green, now I have no less then 80yds. 

edit:  you are correct  on BPB tees on those holes.  But it still makes #15 not a birdie hole.  I bounced one off rough and trickled to 7ft, only to barely lip a slow moving putt back to the collar for a 3 putt, fun.

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Thu, Sep 9 2010 4:29 PM

I'm not trying to attack you here, consider the following....

MJS74:

St Andrews, 4,5,7 all considerably longer,

4, is not really a birdie hole from either tee. It's your fault if you don't make par! You can hit your second shot from the fairway, in a tailwind they'll likely be hitting from the fescue since they tried to thread that needle. But if they do make a birdie, be sure you give them a little golf clap.

5, if the Master reaches it in 2, and makes eagle, What are the chances that you would have done the same? You do have to play really smart to make it an easy birdie though. Just hope they go too aggro and screw up

7,  really? oh crap, I have to take a full swing with my driver, instead of choking down or hitting a 3w off the tee. no advantage for either player

MJS74:

9,10,12 drivable for masters in most conditions not legends.

drivable, sure, but that does not grantee an eagle, and often doesn't guarantee par!

(rolling to the back of the green on #12 with the pin in front makes a tough 2 putt)

9 and 10 are still birdie holes from the tips. Legends are at a real disadvantage on 12.

if they drive it and eagle it, they probably would have beat you anyway.

MJS74:
    14 no longer reachable in 2 unless with a strong wind behind in which case you can't hold the green, 15 longer by 3 clubs, 17...forget it if the wind is in your face or is blowing off the right.

14, yes impossible to hold. they will likely beat you here. not a super easy birdie for them though. good luck

15, I'd auto lose this hole to even a hack. I have no idea how to play that hole correctly. I love my second shot to be left of the green.. but there is that tiny bunker.. ughhh. Just get the drive on the fairway and hope for the best.

17, get it on one of the fairways, play for par. If they birdie, they would have beat you anyways.

SO yes, it is very hard from the tips at ST. Andys. But the Master players advantage is nothing like the back 9 at Kiawah, where a lot of the sub 30 rounds in this game have been shot from the tournament tees.

10 you will likely have a 6 iron, they will hit their P or A wedge.

11 is more of an eagle threat because the green is relatively  flat.

12 is not bad.I hate putting on that green anyway. (awful angles always)

13.  you may have a 5 iron they will hit an 8 or 9.

14 plays what 20yards longer (the par 3's at STA are 10 yards longer)

15, that's a skinny part of fairway to hit - approach isn't to tough though

16, luckily they can't reach it either.

17, is what 15 yards longer?hopefully the water intimidates them

18, if they know how to play the hole, they will have a 8 iron approach shot. You will be hitting a wood!

now that is an unfair advantage!

However, I do love playing that 9 more than ever now. It feels right, and I don't have to beat myself up if I don't shoot 31, or 30. I'm just going to avoid that 9 in challenges with masters. Any other 9 I'm game.

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Thu, Sep 9 2010 4:46 PM

neildiamond11790:
    Birdwell, please show me proof that any of those holes are played the same or shorter.  11 at BPB is longer, I know that tee very well.  Same with Kia #3.  Master I had no more then 80yds to green, now I have no less then 80yds. 

Kia #3 I haven't exactly figured out the relationship between the two tees. But we are, I think, 10 yards closer? the angle is just slightly different.

Kia #2. If I remember correctly from my last match with a master, Legends are only about 7 yards closer. It seems to be a more difficult angle. I'll have to play it a few more times.

BPB #7 is interesting, with the angle that we have to the green, we will likely be laying up once we get a longer driver! But if 'they' get as longer driver... light's out, it's a birdie hole for them. Sorry I just played that hole again and was confused about the angle to the fairway.  And oh yeah I just missed a 6 footer for birdie. I am a sorry sap.

neildiamond11790:
    But it still makes #15 not a birdie hole.

Yes, but it does make it less of a bogey hole. (we all know it's a par 5.... lol)

• stencil
    455 Posts
    Thu, Sep 9 2010 4:48 PM

SERIOUSLY!!! Yall are pouting like babys. it will  workout. This is kind of like football coaches h.s.-nfl. They cant change a program in 1 year. WGT can't wave a wand and it work automatically. They have to tweak a little. Same in presidents. IT TAKES TIME FOR CHANGE TO WORK!!!!!! Its like that in everything.. And no i was not   quoting obamas change plan. But wait keep playing everything will work out. I dont believe we need a huge change in drivers for Legends. Maybe an improvement of 5-10 yds. You cant keep shooting 50's. WGT had to slow yall down with the greens and tees or we would see insane scores very soon. Yall just chill. Yall were just spoiled by hitting irons into par 5's in 2 and wedges into par 4's. Should PGA tour players play from the regular tees like Amateurs. NOOOOO!! They would shoot insane low #'s. LIke yall were as masters. Just practice and get better. Sometimes you have to work for stuff. Not everything is gave  to you. Thats the problem with the country. Everyone wants it easy.

Im off my soap box reply wat you think.

• BirdieButton
    164 Posts
    Thu, Sep 9 2010 5:13 PM

stencil:

SERIOUSLY!!! Yall are pouting like babys. it will  workout. This is kind of like football coaches h.s.-nfl. They cant change a program in 1 year. WGT can't wave a wand and it work automatically. They have to tweak a little. Same in presidents. IT TAKES TIME FOR CHANGE TO WORK!!!!!! Its like that in everything.. And no i was not   quoting obamas change plan. But wait keep playing everything will work out. I dont believe we need a huge change in drivers for Legends. Maybe an improvement of 5-10 yds. You cant keep shooting 50's. WGT had to slow yall down with the greens and tees or we would see insane scores very soon. Yall just chill. Yall were just spoiled by hitting irons into par 5's in 2 and wedges into par 4's. Should PGA tour players play from the regular tees like Amateurs. NOOOOO!! They would shoot insane low #'s. LIke yall were as masters. Just practice and get better. Sometimes you have to work for stuff. Not everything is gave  to you. Thats the problem with the country. Everyone wants it easy.

Im off my soap box reply wat you think.

is posts like this that give me no hope for humans

• stencil
    455 Posts
    Thu, Sep 9 2010 5:22 PM

is posts like this that give me no hope for humans

Why?????? That post was very straight-forward and sensible. Sorry you dont agree. I wasn't trying to please people.

RSS