Forums

Help › Forums

Advancing to a new tier

Mon, Mar 25 2024 8:08 PM (319 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Tue, Sep 26 2023 5:05 PM

DuFussMcGoo:
    I believe when TC was opened to the masses, we needed only 200 ranked rounds, and not the 1,000 it is now.

That's correct. And for those who had already achieved Champion tier, they remained saturated at 200 rounds. In other words, if they have not achieved Tour Champion tier, their average is still calculated on their lowest 200 rounds.

• MioKontic
    4,599 Posts
    Wed, Sep 27 2023 2:32 AM

Robert1893:
    That's correct. And for those who had already achieved Champion tier, they remained saturated at 200 rounds. In other words, if they have not achieved Tour Champion tier, their average is still calculated on their lowest 200 rounds.

I'm not disputing what you say, just checking if you are sure about that?  The reason I ask is because it wasn't like that at Tour Legend tier.  Before TC, TL's got saturated at 500 ranked rounds, which I had achieved.  But when TC was brought in that number got increased to 750, and all of a sudden my average started going up as well as down again because I hadn't reached that number.

At some point they also changed the average required to move up the higher tiers; I think to get to TL from Legend I needed an average of 59, or it might even have been 58 - it was definitely one of those two numbers.  Now apparently you only need 59 to go from TL to C.

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Wed, Sep 27 2023 2:40 PM

MioKontic:

I'm not disputing what you say, just checking if you are sure about that?  The reason I ask is because it wasn't like that at Tour Legend tier.  Before TC, TL's got saturated at 500 ranked rounds, which I had achieved.  But when TC was brought in that number got increased to 750, and all of a sudden my average started going up as well as down again because I hadn't reached that number.

At some point they also changed the average required to move up the higher tiers; I think to get to TL from Legend I needed an average of 59, or it might even have been 58 - it was definitely one of those two numbers.  Now apparently you only need 59 to go from TL to C.

All of that seems correct to me as well. I'm not sure how it worked out that those at Champion tier "lucked out" or fell into some type of donut hole, but that's the way it worked out. While I questioned one of the moderators about it at the time, I didn't really get a direct response to my question. That's fine. They've never been all that forthcoming with information about moving up in tiers.

Starting at Master tier, I've kept track of all my rounds (put them in an Excel spreadsheet). To this day, my average is calculated on my lowest 200 rounds. If my average were to be calculated on my lowest 1,000 rounds (at Champion tier) it would be 60.94.

I'm definitely saturated because my score only goes down (and only if it's a 28 or lower for 9 holes) and never goes up (regardless of how high the score is).

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,868 Posts
    Wed, Sep 27 2023 3:19 PM

Robert1893:
    I'm definitely saturated because my score only goes down (and only if it's a 28 or lower for 9 holes) and never goes up (regardless of how high the score is).

How many ranked rounds have you played as a CHAMPION? Do you too have to go the 1,000 ranked to move to TC?

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Wed, Sep 27 2023 7:59 PM

DuFussMcGoo:
    How many ranked rounds have you played as a CHAMPION? Do you too have to go the 1,000 ranked to move to TC?

I have over 1,400 rounds.

If I ever were to lower my average to the required average of 55.00, I'd tier up to Tour Champion. But that's extremely unlikely to happen. First, I'm only an average player. And second, I won't play a bunch of red tee course set ups just to tier up.

For whatever reason, it's always been important to me to tier up by playing from the default tees for my tier. I got to Champion that way but won't be able to get to Tour Champion that way. Currently, I only have 13 rounds that are 27 or lower (for 9 holes). Here's the distribution of my lowest 200 scores:

26: 1
    27: 12
    28: 55
    29: 132

• sashaless
    13 Posts
    Mon, Oct 16 2023 6:37 PM

I am a TL with an average of 58.7 and have played 850 ranked rounds since promotion. Why have I not been promoted to Champion?

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Tue, Oct 17 2023 8:37 AM

sashaless:

I am a TL with an average of 58.7 and have played 850 ranked rounds since promotion. Why have I not been promoted to Champion?

While the following rounds will be included in your "ranked rounds" number, they do not count toward the 750 rounds needed for saturation: Par 3s, Par 5s, and custom courses.

Unless you already excluded them in your calculation of 850, you need to back those rounds out.

• MioKontic
    4,599 Posts
    Wed, Oct 18 2023 4:07 AM

Robert1893:

While the following rounds will be included in your "ranked rounds" number, they do not count toward the 750 rounds needed for saturation: Par 3s, Par 5s, and custom courses.

Unless you already excluded them in your calculation of 850, you need to back those rounds out.

You are right, and he/she has played a lot of par 3 rounds.  But wouldn't that mean then that his/her average should still go up as well as down because they haven't yet reached the 750 games required for saturation?

Like you, I never play off forward tees, and these days I don't play many games, that's why it's taken me this long to be where I am, despite having reached Legend back in April 2011 after only 6 months of playing (and I played a lot back then!), and Tour Legend somewhere between 2-4 years later (can't remember when they brought the TL tier in).  I'm now standing at an average of 59.01 so if all the info is correct I should move to Champion tier shortly.

• ct690911
    7,200 Posts
    Wed, Oct 18 2023 7:51 AM

Robert1893:

sashaless:

Robert is, of course, correct. It would be a bit concerning though, if a TL didn't already know this.

For the record, neither does Alt shot nor match play count. This was a problem for me as I played Alt shot almost exclusively. I ended up with the equipment and the experience, just not the rank.

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Wed, Oct 18 2023 10:06 AM

MioKontic:
    You are right, and he/she has played a lot of par 3 rounds.  But wouldn't that mean then that his/her average should still go up as well as down because they haven't yet reached the 750 games required for saturation?

You're correct. The person's score would continue to go up or down. The problem is once a player is over 500 rounds, due to rounding, a low score could replace a higher score and a player would see no effect on the average.

The dispersion of scores is also important. The more widely dispersed scores are, the more likely a player is to see the average move by a lower score. The less dispersed, the low score has less of an effect,

RSS