Help › Forums

Different pin placements

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 25 2009 6:22 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 9:26 PM

What Nivlac says applies only to the Master players. For the crushing majority of us "ordinary human beings" Cool, variable pin locations would ensure a dramatic change of experience of both Bethpage & Kiawah. Not only at hole 15 at Bethpage, but pretty much everywhere. Right now, for example, I'm sure Bethpage, hole 17, is a lot more difficult to play than that hole's handicap rating suggests. If you move the pin to the center of that green, for instance, it would become a fairly easy hole to play, whereas today many of us ordinary players land in the bunker or behind the green. Same thing for Kiawah, hole 9; the pin is rather absurdly placed at the front edge of the very long green now; many of us land in the fairway with our approach shots; but move the pin to the center or back of that green, and the approach strategy on that hole changes dramatically.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Sep 25 2009 5:45 AM

I, myself, have no doubt that what while what Nivlac says is pretty much right, moving that pin around to the point that you don't know what you're up against until you're on the tee will make a big difference.

I'm one of those masters that fire darts at the pin and can stop it on a dime-I've even seen the ball hop backwards, almost a draw. I think I'm good enough at it to hang with Nivlac and his peers. The problem is there's no way I'm ever going to do it hole after hole, day after day. That's where these elite players excel-the consistency.There's something huge to be said about that because they have the exact same game quirks we all do with meter skips, etc. yet they still perform consistently.

However,  throw in a random pin that nobody's seen and we're even to start-clueless about what shot to play. We all have to zoom in, see what to do,where to land, etc. and it comes down to the meter. He who executes succeeds and if I miss this hole I have the next one where we start even again.

This is different than now because as I play a match and have to plan ahead I already know what I can and can't do on the holes ahead. KIA#18 is a good example. If I'm down a stroke going into 17 I know I have to win that hole because #18 requires 3 perfect shots to birdie, something I've only done once.

I don't think I have a prayer of ever winning a real stroke tournament on either of the courses we have. I'm ok with this BUT if I knew that you couldn't play the course 1500 times before entering so you knew every single what-not-to-do then I would think I had a chance. On any given day...........

At any rate, this is all moot because the pins aint going anywhere for a while so I'll just keep firing the darts and one of these days I'll put 9 of them together in a row and be happy. Just being confident enough to stick a green is huge fun and one of these days it'll happen against somebody like hbthree or nivlac and will make my day!

YJ

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Fri, Sep 25 2009 6:06 AM

What no requests to lock this thread?...no one shouting it's beating a dead horse...no flaming....no one saying move on that we have dealt with this for nearly a year...no one stating WGT has said they are working on it and leave it at that....no arrows pointing to the search box to the right....wow.

I'll buy a pound of whatever you guys are on.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Sep 25 2009 11:11 AM

No sense in repeating the obvious I guess.  We are all more than ready for new pins, but fussing about it won't make it come about any sooner.

In the meantime we might as well have a civil discussion about the perceived effects of moving them around.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Sep 25 2009 11:45 AM

BOFFMEN:

What no requests to lock this thread?...no one shouting it's beating a dead horse...no flaming....no one saying move on that we have dealt with this for nearly a year...no one stating WGT has said they are working on it and leave it at that....no arrows pointing to the search box to the right....wow.

I'll buy a pound of whatever you guys are on.

That's because pretty much everyone agrees on this issue.  There really is no hard and fast debate, just subtleties and nuances and shades of gray.

This issue is not Republican v Democrat type... more like "What color vest should the School Crossing Guard wear, bright orange or bright yellow?"

There is a difference.  Have a nice day.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Sep 25 2009 12:15 PM

YankeeJim:
    At any rate, this is all moot because the pins aint going anywhere for a while

Who said so? I for one hope and trust we'll get to see variable pin locations in WGT's very next product update, this coming October. It would be a fitting way to celebrate WGT's one-year public Beta birthday.  Dobre!

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Fri, Sep 25 2009 6:22 PM

I agree pin placements should change at some point and I have already previously posted on the subject asking for some clarification from WGT.  The post included WGT quotes from the past about the subject.  Which I believe Mr. Nivlac responded to and Mr. Fuzzygazz picked up on (it would appear) and replied to the older WGT thread and resurrected the subject.

@Snaike

I was having fun but also trying to make a point.

Which was there are basically two ways to read member's posts, objectively or subjectively.

There is a difference.

Peace my coiled friend peace.

I’m not the enemy.

• PAGES
RSS