Help › Forums

Different pin placements

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 25 2009 6:22 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Daverog75
    3 Posts
    Fri, May 22 2009 2:27 PM

I have not been playing this game for very long, but I have read some of the complaints about this game but biggest thing for me is that other than wind chages the course is exactly the same everytime. I can't believe that something as simple as different pin placements was not put in this game.

Dave,

• Teamster174
    43 Posts
    Fri, May 22 2009 2:49 PM

I'd like to see the ability to replay the same shot over again during practice. Somewhat being able to get the feel for various wind directions and club stength, not to mention the putting grades.

• coolhotfun
    229 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2009 4:01 PM

courses should change the pin placement every once in a while. Don't they do that in real golf?

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2009 4:19 PM

Yes, CHFun... the courses I play do it every DAY.  Saves a bit of wear-n-tear on the green, and gives multi-round players a bit of a challenge.

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2009 4:51 PM

I used to think the same way, Dave .. shouldn't be too hard to move the pin around. Then I got to thinking .. thousands of HD photos and the programming  involved in just the 1 set of pin placements. I'm sure we'll never see them change on the present courses. Hopefully, this is something that would be considered when future stroke play course are designed. Get photos over a few weeks time period with different setups, then go from there.

Jeff

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2009 10:57 PM

jeffdos924:
    I'm sure we'll never see [pin locations] change on the present courses.

I hope you're wrong! Yes, it won't be a trivial thing to implement variable pin placements in this game, but I trust they will get around to doing it. Bethpage & Kiawah can only be considered unfinished if the pins never change their positions. And, I also trust & hope we'll get to see bad weather on WGT one day. Again, very difficult to do if HD photographs are your material to build the game from, but modern technology is capable of anything. Perhaps once the game gets out of Beta stage & sufficient revenues start rolling in, they'll be able to implement all these difficult features. That's being very optimistic.   

• TarheelsRule
    5,486 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 8:41 AM

I would love to see the different pin placements on each green but understand that it could be difficult.  Also one of the things that I don't like is the wind, Kiawah is the best example, the golf course for the most part, except for 3 holes, goes up and down the beach.  Therefore when you play it, in real play, you have the same wind for 1 2 3 10 11 12 13 and the same wind for 6 7 8 9 14 15 16 17 18.  The 4 5 holes run towards the beach and 1 2 3 are not exactly parallel to it but in playing it you can have the wind at your back on 10 and then in your face on 11, which can't happen.  I would like to see the course play like it really does.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 8:59 AM

I'm personally looking forward to random pin placements--that will instantly level the field. I doubt it'll happen but if it ever does you can re-write the leader boards.

HA HA-Can you imagine where the pin on BPB #15 would be?

YJ

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 12:08 PM

YankeeJim:
    HA HA-Can you imagine where the pin on BPB #15 would be?
    Jeez Louise.. they couldn't make it any worse than it is right now...

I HATE that hole!

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 9:07 PM

I think the current pin position is pretty well the most difficult one you're going to see on that hole.  Anything on the back shelf (which is pretty flat) opens up a bailout zone behind the green and makes it more accessible.  Right now anything on the back shelf or beyond is bogey territory or even worse.

I don't believe simply changing the pin positions is going to make a dent as far as leveling the playing the field is concerned.  The best players in this game routinely fire darts that dance around the pin with scoring irons that don't roll out much, if at all.  I'm afraid that changing the pin location changes only the distance of your approach shot and not much else.  It still comes down to the ability to make the right club selections and execute consistently on the meter.

Also, not knowing the breaks around the hole doesn't matter much when you're putting from 6 ft or less 80% of the time. ;-)

• PAGES
RSS