Forums

Help › Forums

Slow Loading today? (Sunday 8/15/2010)

Mon, Aug 16 2010 8:31 AM (8 replies)
  • PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sun, Aug 15 2010 2:20 PM

Anyone else having extremely slow loading today? And I can't create games and can't join games either.

Never saw this happen before.

Last round I played on St Andy's back nine... for my partner and myself, it took a number of seconds after clicking the meter for anything to happen. For me, it took 10-15seconds. This started about mid-way through the round.

• ccrume
    138 Posts
    Sun, Aug 15 2010 2:24 PM

Same here...can only see forum posts, can't join a game or anything else

• mikeymike13
    40 Posts
    Sun, Aug 15 2010 2:41 PM

Same thing happened a few weeks ago.

Yes, I'm having the same trouble. Seems the last hour has been the worst. Load times are fine between holes. The pausing of the avatar after the ding are for a few seconds at times and it also seems the click of the mouse is delayed, causing late hits on the meter.

I logged out and cleaned cache and flash being that it had been since last update for me, thinking it may be on my end. Then after doing so could not log back in on any browser.

I just was able to get back online now to search the forums and found others are having the same trouble.

Where are the WGT mods when we need you the most? WGTniv is sure going to be missed !!!

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2010 5:25 AM

Just to follow-up...

The only way I eventually got in a couple rounds was through a friend's invites. During those rounds, there was no lag, slow loading, or meter problems.

And just to clarify... my original problems were slow-loading screens in the round-setup windows. And previous to those prob's, I had extreme delays during a round AFTER clicking my mouse on the meter (no meter stutter - just a "pause" after clicking it).

Why, after receiving an invite, I was able to play, is beyond me. I suppose it had to do with the communication between my comp and the particular game server I was connected to, as we've been told that they only come into play AFTER the meter is clicked. Incidentally, after those "invite rounds", I tried again to join a round, and had no better luck.

I have no idea why my computer was unable to download the graphics for the "round setup screens". I'd logged-out, closed browser, rebooted, and also rebooted my modem - all to no avail.

This morning, all is OK again.   :/ 

• WoodFairy
    33 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2010 6:27 AM

I am having  same problems too.  The website is slow to load and the game window is even slower. It takes ages to get the game screen fully loaded.

Have tried to play a game and although it loads the screens, it stalls after hitting the ball. Then it  times out as I get the unable to connect message, which then goes to a full game error screen and I  have to close the gaming window.

Looks like there is a problem with the servers, as all other sites I visit  are running pretty quickly, so I know the problem is not at  my  end or with my  ISP (which has a habit  of screwing with the nameservers a couple of times a week ). Think the WGT servers  could do  with  re-booting.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2010 8:01 AM

Hi, Pug-Your comment about being able to play after the friend invited you indicates to me you were trying to host a game on one of the servers that wasn't having a good day. This happens once in a while and the best way to deal with it is to get off the server you're on, if you can.

One way to do this is to try another browser. When I use Chrome to play and this happens I go to Firefox and usually get hooked up with a different server. In Multiplayer games it helps to find out who's on what server and then have the one with the best server host the game. You can't pick and chose the servers you get stuck with but multi games are hosted on the same server, the one the actual host is on.

Since learning that WGT leases servers and one of them is 3000 miles away I could see where communication snags or delays could occur. 

There's more in this thread        http://wgt.com/forums/p/12299/77807.aspx#77807

The thread doesn't show how to tell what server you're on in Chrome but all you have to do is click the page icon next to the wrench in the upper right hand corner--Developer/Developer Tools/Storage/WGT.com and look for Latest Node in the list. Your server will appear there. Hope this helps.

• Acrux
    393 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2010 8:31 AM

looks like slow loading in the norm right now,, i have similar issues and a different one alltogether what happens with me is all the loading up happens eventually but more often than never it tells me that icant connect to the wgt servers other strange thing is this only happens in the day time at night it all goes well, its quite annoying because all i want to do is play some golf but i start, swing the club ,and my guy just stands in this pose..seconds up to a minute go by,and i get a message stating cannot connect to the wgt servers ,do u  want to retry,,i click yes and immediately my guy takes his swing.,.,on other occasions it just kicks me off alltogether saying sorry for the ,,,,just did it right now damn it!!!!please can some one assist me is this issue

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2010 10:18 AM

Thanks Jim, I just tried it... great info. Wish I'd known how to do that on Sunday. lol

Wonder if clearing a certain cookie could "force" a switch in servers? Have you tried anything to that effect?

Some would say that it isn't necessarily a server issue... but I checked the "goings-on" inside my 'puter and could find nothing out of the ordinary trying to run in the background both before and after a reboot.

Next time we play, we'll hafta both check for the helluvit. But how does one determine "the best server" before playing, without having to quit the round and start anew? I suppose if it's a terrible connection, we'd notice during the round, but how would we know that the "non-host" of the game wouldn't have the same "bad" server as the host when a new round was started? It might turn into a frustrating "quit/restart" cycle with no guarantees of finding a "better" server, couldn't it?

Regardless... thanks again for taking the time to share the info... it could come in handy... somehow.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2010 10:24 AM

PugsAce:
    But how does one determine "the best server" before playing, without having to quit the round and start anew?

The psj server used to get blamed a lot whereas the wgt server was always preferred. I think they fixed that because I haven't seen much difference in a while. 

What works for me is determining in the chat area before the start of a match who's on what or who's been having problems. I don't get too carried away worrying about it in regular multi player games but in matches like Guilds it's worth fussing with.

RSS