• duffer19
    3,670 Posts
    Wed, Jun 5 2013 7:01 PM

duffer lives on surveys - they aren't bad with katsup either

• GlassMan27
    573 Posts
    Wed, Jun 5 2013 7:03 PM

thebigeasy707:

no doubt whatever it is takes your last 10 or 20 results into account. if you've been hitting 27's and 55's then it will come out at you with a king size baseball bat and clobber you..

on that same token, if you've been posting semi decent scores withing the acceptable range for VEM, then it'll come out and tickle you a bit causing perhaps a forced par or if it's grumpy you'll get a bogey.

This is what I brought up in Andy's last thread. Is VEM manipulatable? Have some of the long time players figured out how to use VEM to their advantage? Is this why some players claim there is no VEM? The Variable Equipment Model patent description is very clear that the clubs performance (sweet spot) will be variable based on the perceived talent level of a player at the time. There is no mention whatsoever of an across the board tweaking of equipment. A better understanding of how the system works is, IMHO, the easiest way to explain why some players don't experience the WTF shots that so many players do.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Wed, Jun 5 2013 7:06 PM

MBaggese:

If I stay under the cut line..damned sure I'll play both rounds, even with Starters if that's what it is!

Boy I wish everyone that qualified would think this^ way. There's nothing more disappointing than not having the chops to qualify then seeing the WD's on the leaderboard before the first round is closed. It's 2 rounds out of thousands and won't destroy anyone's ego to play for some pride in themselves for just making it into the Open.

Regarding VEM......... whatever. It's not like we don't know about it.

• PRStevenson
    842 Posts
    Wed, Jun 5 2013 7:07 PM

WGTicon:

Hi everyone,

Sorry if I am late to the party... 

are there random elements in the game yes, no I know anything else about it or how: no

is it same for everyone? yes

that's the best info I have,

-wgticon 

Well it looks like I've opened a can of worms here, which is precisely why this topic should be laid to rest and can only be ended by WGT.

So we've established that VEM is used.

Now wgticon with all due respect, I don't know whether you don't want to tell players that you know about how the VEM for concern that you'll be inundated with players demanding answers (which I would understand) or whether you genuinely don't know but if it's the latter wouldn't it be good to find out?

I mean this topic doesn't need to be contained to the forums where opinions fly around like nobody's business.

I respectfully suggest WGT simply put out the information like a press release or something in the FAQ's not the forums. Put out the basics: What, Why, How and perhaps a couple of 'Mythbusters' so that any time someone brings up (or has questions about) VEM they can be pointed straight to a location where the topic has been officially addressed and ties up loose ends.

They'll always be a few players who have their conspiracy theories but the majority will be satisfied.

• geraldlarousse
    1,986 Posts
    Wed, Jun 5 2013 7:11 PM

Yeah Mike you are right. But damn, this game lately is pitiful. It did cost me a great deal to get the 57. Took 17 rounds to do it, lol.

Not looking to win for sure, but if i could sniff a top 25 would be very happy indeed. Just the way the game is playing at the moment is a total crap shoot.

They need to do something, and if can't make it play the same for everyone turn it OFF!

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Wed, Jun 5 2013 7:21 PM

MBaggese:
    Hey, I've no visions of winning, nor sniffing the leader board, but I'll be damned if after letting my credits dwindle from +5000 to about 1000, I'd pass on the Open...55 or 75...I'll post it.

Only reason I will play it, went from 27 to 14 of my favorite balls playing that thing, carded the 57, tried it once more last week and will say, good luck to anyone not there yet. That was a huge investment of time, effort and balls.

I'm with Gerald though, these days, when it's won, just like the Legend tier, there will be a slight smell to it, as the best player is not going to win it, not even the best player that week, it will be the good player lucky enough to have a VEM burp for a couple of rounds.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Wed, Jun 5 2013 7:29 PM

geraldlarousse:
    Took 17 rounds to do it, lol.

Dang, you was quick!

I did two-a-days for a month!...FFS...that's 60 starts!!!

I hear ya Steve...but you're a good player, play and post a score...heck...99.999% will not win, but I think it's good for those trying to make the cut and missing, to see what those who were able to make the cut...can score...sure...many have egos and won't post a 72...hell...my ego left when the wife did...I only WD when pizzed after tossing a Nike in the lake;)

• LeGeNdCrUsHeR
    2,067 Posts
    Wed, Jun 5 2013 7:39 PM

214 restarts, 3 58's and a 57 in ranked with a couple of friends.  

13 perfect front 9's

6 (-10) starts on the front 9

all to be shattered by 1 stroke on the back.

For me, it's a whatever now.  If I make the cut, I make the cut.

If not, good luck to the rest of the field!

• geraldlarousse
    1,986 Posts
    Wed, Jun 5 2013 7:50 PM

LeGeNdCrUsHeR:

214 restarts, 3 58's and a 57 in ranked with a couple of friends.  

13 perfect front 9's

6 (-10) starts on the front 9

all to be shattered by 1 stroke on the back.

Yes, i was -10 on front 3 times and failed to get the 57. Only when i shot average on front was i able to score well on back.

I shot 30 on front and 27 on back for the 57. I feel for the players now trying. The Vem monster is out in full force. Very strange happenings going on for sure.

Good luck to all that are trying. 

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Wed, Jun 5 2013 7:53 PM

LeGeNdCrUsHeR:

Good Luck Legend, you are going to need to get in there and focus, I blogged some of my time qualifying, the blog post with the 57 was my best blog. It was a real slog, and felt like a huge accomplishment. It took 2 1/2 hours to play as well.

Once I was -12 playing 12 and could not card the 57, it toughens up on ya big time.

If I could give any advice, go for the -7 front or better, do not quit till after at least 6, the round can turn on a dime there and there are more hole outs on that course then anywhere else. I would restart if I was not -4 after 6 or -7 after nine. My 57 came with a -8 front.

Now go get it.

RSS