Forums

Help › Forums

Lowering my average score

Mon, Sep 25 2023 5:29 PM (45 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Oct 12 2014 11:41 AM

To me, that 62 average seems the tough nut to crack. 31s & 62s are really great scores that require skill. The 30 & 60 scores require skill & the good fortune of a putt or two that are 20 feet plus that happen to go in. Scoring below 30 or 60 is insanely great play and are miles away from, say a 31. The 62 ave is a dividing line hard to cross.

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Sun, Oct 12 2014 1:42 PM

SweetiePie:

To me, that 62 average seems the tough nut to crack. 31s & 62s are really great scores that require skill. The 30 & 60 scores require skill & the good fortune of a putt or two that are 20 feet plus that happen to go in. Scoring below 30 or 60 is insanely great play and are miles away from, say a 31. The 62 ave is a dividing line hard to cross.

That's why I rode MP to legend.  Actually I did the same thing to TM.

• BigDogRuns
    59 Posts
    Sun, Oct 12 2014 2:10 PM

I'm not sure you could have made more mistakes in that replay if you were trying. 69.1 <> 62 and 10 under on par 5s <> 2 under on normally distributed par course. Maybe you should pick up the flash cards.

• UnderParErica
    1 Posts
    Sun, Oct 12 2014 5:27 PM

I was curious...when I was a hack my ave.score was 76.4 as soon as I went to ameture it went up to 84+.why is that and how do I bring it down> I play a lot and it seldom fluxuates....

thank you,erica

• WGTyphoon
    597 Posts
    Sun, Oct 12 2014 5:40 PM

UnderParErica:

I was curious...when I was a hack my ave.score was 76.4 as soon as I went to ameture it went up to 84+.why is that and how do I bring it down> I play a lot and it seldom fluxuates....

thank you,erica

When a player moves up in tiers all their ranked games begin counting towards their average. 

-WGTyphoon

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, Oct 12 2014 9:34 PM
    You have 2 drivers equipped Erica. It would help you to swap the starter one for the hybrid. Your average will come down soon enough.
  • zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Mon, Oct 13 2014 2:16 AM

What SweetiePie said is absolutely right. You and I are at the point where we need a 30, sometimes a 31, to chip off one hundredth of a point off our average. Maybe not for some elite players, but for me a 30 is practically heroic, and my average has barely budged in months.

However, if you just want to cut your average by any means possible, you can now create country club tournaments (from CC level 3+) playing from the forward tees, easy pins and slow greens, on whatever you regard as the easiest course for achieving the lowest gross score. And do this in 9-hole games, because it is obviously easier to score one low score for a 9-hole round than two consecutive low scores (front + back) in the same 18-hole round.

Most folks would say the front 9 at St. Andrews is the easiest, even though the gross par is higher than some others.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Mon, Oct 13 2014 3:27 AM

FWIW - being under par after a round at -2, -6, -8, or whatever is not your score. it is your how you played relative to par for the course.

If par is 72, -4 means your score is 68, not -4.

If par is 71, -4 means your score is 67, not -4

If par is 70, -4 means your score is 66, not -4

If you only play 9 holes:

If par is 36, -4 means your score is 32 and for your scoring average it's counted as 64. 

If par is 35, -4 means your score is 31 and for your scoring average it's counted as 62.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Oct 13 2014 7:30 AM

zagraniczniak:

However, if you just want to cut your average by any means possible, you can now create country club tournaments (from CC level 3+) playing from the forward tees, easy pins and slow greens, on whatever you regard as the easiest course for achieving the lowest gross score. And do this in 9-hole games, because it is obviously easier to score one low score for a 9-hole round than two consecutive low scores (front + back) in the same 18-hole round.

Ditto : What Mr. Zag said is likewise correct. After several years of stagnet CC ownership, while tinkering with it a small bit, I became aware of this available option. At that time, being saturated at Legend, my average never went up and only would go lower by virtue of the several sub 30 - sub 60 scores I would enjoy each month. It is a woefully slow decent, and a bit tedious for anyone seeking a low, abnormal average. To continue along this path was a guarantee to reach a sub 60 average, albeit at old age.

For about a month now, I have utilized the CC level 3 option and it has provided new oxygen into the game I have played for 5+ years. It provides a form of fun like no other.

I assume most all players desire the lowest average they can achieve, evidenced by the many so called "cheat" programs or use of the various legitimate and legal helper aids. 

The above CC option 3 is likewise legitimate and legal.....and quite fun   ~ SP ~ 

• dbuldge
    6 Posts
    Mon, Mar 23 2015 5:20 PM

you have to shoot -3 or 4 to have it go down

RSS