Forums

Help › Forums

Need Advice

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 19 2010 10:19 AM (2 replies)
  • emerfish
    20 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 8:02 AM

Hey all, been here for just over a month. My question is...Should I avoid playing ranked rounds at BPB & Oakmont? I just finished playing my first 3 practice rounds at BPB, set up for Blue tee's, fast greens, med. wind. Scored a 78, 74, 75.  There is no way to reach some of the greens on approach shot w/my equipment. Now if I had master driver & 3wood I could.    I'm trying to reach master w/o "protecting" my handicap, but just does not seem logical w/o master equipment.  Is there wrong in just playing 2 courses, posting all scores to get there?

EDIT...My bad, didn't know it started me out on White tee,s . Talk about SCARED!  But, BBB is woolly, unfair & evil, and the calculations are wrong. lol    

I understand  the game changes when master is bestowed upon you, and I know there is a new learning curve, but I think I'll be ok when I get "knighted"lol

Make no mistake, I won't quit.     I must have played Pebble Beach on Sega Saturn for 7-8 yrs.  Thanks for replies.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 8:14 AM

Play all the courses, you will be a better player for it, even though your average might be higher then others who focus on Kia and St Andy.  You will also make master when you are ready to make master by doing that, instead of hitting a bunch of 30's on St andrews, and not being able to break par at BPB.

Also, you can only acquire master tier equipment, when you reach master tier.  Remember when you are master you will normally be much further back on the tee's, so certain holes depending on the wind are always going to be tough like #7 and #15 on BPB.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 10:19 AM

There is no going back to Pro once you make Master.

Take a look around these forums at all of the "I'm quitting because I can't play this game anymore now that I'm a Master" threads.  These folks ran to get the Master tag only to have all the fun sucked out of the game for them.  Longer holes, faster greens, less forgiveness.... 

While others, who play with really no regard for "titles" and who simply love the game of golf, make it to Master and continue to play the game for the love of it.... not for some artificial average.  ~These~ are the ones on top of the leaderboards and tournies.  The ones who rushed to the higher ranks are usually left standing by the side of the road, so to speak.

My advice is to play every course and record every score.  When your game is ready for you to be a Master, you will be a Master.

RSS