Forums

Help › Forums

What avg score is needed to become a master?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jul 20 2010 7:40 AM (9 replies)
  • buc619
    9 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 7:19 AM

Hi,

My avg score is 69.7 I thought wow thats descent  .... Master must be outta this world...what score avg is needed for a master...i want a better driver :)

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 10:59 AM

Consistently shoot in the mid to low 30s for nine holes on Bethpage or Oakmont. oughta do it.

• bullpin
    630 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 11:00 AM

The WGT staff will not tell you the exact score needed to become a master to keep sandbaggers guessing on how far they can push their luck. However, from what I've seen amongst my friends, you achieve master status somewhere between 64 and 66, depending on how often you play. Hope that helps a little.

• shortstroke25
    116 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 12:32 PM

I became a master when I hit the magic number of 65.53 wish I could go back, lots off luck once your there lol.     fairways&greens 

• Bigfoot49uk
    59 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 10:40 PM

I was enjoying the game until I got to the Master tier - despite my putting, which is woeful to say the least. Lowest I got to was 65.2, now I can't do anything and am not enjoying the game at all. Just played 27 holes round St Andrews without a single birdie and am back up over 70. It's all now becoming pointless as no matter how high scores I shoot I'll still be in the Master tier and way out of my depth. Time to call it a day I think, when you stop enjoying a game it's time to bin it.

Be careful what you wish for! 

• Waltermydoinhere
    10 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 3:20 AM

Like anything in life, it's what you make of it.  If you strive to be "Master" just to have the tag then chances are you'll get bored.  If you strive to be Master so you can have the most challenging of Tee's and want to continue to challenge yourself to try and lower your handicap then you'll probably be enjoying it for some time to come.

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 6:12 AM

buc619:

Hi,

My avg score is 69.7 I thought wow thats descent  .... Master must be outta this world...what score avg is needed for a master...i want a better driver :)

Sorry to disappoint you but my average was down to 66.0 and here I am, a pro. lol

Keep hitting em' straight!

-King

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 10:14 AM

Keep plugging at it King...  But remember, as WGTniv says.. Average is not the only requirement....

WGTniv:
    Hi guys,

Sorry for the delayed response, but I had to go deep to get the answer for this one.  Snaike you are correct, average alone is not the sole determinant.

Your average score is a general identifier about which tier you will be in, but since we use a time-weighted average (most recent scores count more) to determine the tier it can become slightly skewed if his most recent scores are higher than his average.

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 5:42 AM

Nevermind no longer a pro, all I can tell you is you gotta be in the 65 range.

-King

• SKHockey
    6 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 7:40 AM

I was sitting at the 68 mark for quite a while and i played 2 really good rounds at Kiawah and it bumped me to Master.  I think it has a lot to do with how often you play.  As i play several times a day, they kicked me into master quickly.  I'm not convinced that i'm ready for it but i'm sure that as soon as i upgrade my driver to ensure shorter irons coming into greens so you can stick them a bit closer for birdies, i'll be in the thick of things.  Like one person said to me, becoming a master is like starting the game all over again.  

Happy Whacking

SK

RSS