Tue, Aug 3 2010 1:59 PM (27 replies)
  • Golfspieler
    1,614 Posts
    Wed, Jul 14 2010 10:46 AM

Oh that would explain it !

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Wed, Jul 14 2010 11:53 AM

For your drive, aim to the right side of the fairway, adjust for any wind, and go FULL back spin on the drive.  You will get plenty of carry and the ball shouldn't roll as much leaving you the rough shot you described.  From there either be courageous to go at the green, or bail out left of the bunker pin high, leaving you a nice uphill pitch.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Wed, Jul 14 2010 11:53 PM

Hey Crafty,

even if I'm in the first cut on the left of the fairway and not too far out I can usually play it up to the right of the trap with lots of roll, trying to get it to bend around the back.

The second shot is indeed the key, and as Lee mentioned above "trying to get it to bend round the back", thats what I was alluding to in my post. The ball will feed into the pin real late, so get the right pace on the ball and it will feed back to the pin as it slows.

Good luck.

Cheers

Doug

• Akshats
    1 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 11:06 AM

I somehow birdied this hole by playing a long iron onto the green. the ball actually bounced about 10 yards in front of the green but it was hot. It went onto the fringe area and negotiated the curve rolling about 20 ft right of the hole. Then the green somehow made it stop and take a left turn within 2 yards. Pretty amazing

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 11:14 AM

My opponnent used this tactic in a match play game against me the other day and I have copied it from him since then lol : just play the ball left of the bunker and short of the green. It's a fairly safe area with not much rough or anything you can run into. From there it's a fairly simple chip or flop onto the green and a safe par. In fact, my opponent even got it in with his flop for a birdie but I don't think that was part of the plan :)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 11:41 AM

Believe it or not, that trap in front is very easy to get out of with a 64 wedge from anywhere except buried in the side. (You would have to try real hard to get it buried in the side.)  Like Oakmont #9, 2nd shot into that bunker, especially if it rolls in, makes for an easy up and down for par. The first time I tried this I holed the shot. 

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 2:18 PM

YankeeJim:
    The first time I tried this I holed the shot. 

I hate you.

(lol)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 2:33 PM

LMAO-Ain't been close since but par it a lot.   ;-)

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 2:56 PM

Personally I like to punch it for my second shot. I can roll within 20 feet sometimes.

I have consistently been able to par it and even had a friggin birdie it twice......

• TheZiggy
    550 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 3:48 PM

I also favour using the punch for my second shot. This usually allows me to make an easy par, and on once gave me a short putt to claim a birdie.

When playing a round, for some reason if I do end up in the bunker, I struggle to get close to the pin, even though in the CTTH, I almost always end up within a couple of feet.

RSS