Help › Forums

How to Change/Add Browsers

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 5 2010 12:42 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Fri, Jul 2 2010 4:11 AM

I've never used anything other than Internet Explorer (currently IE8) as my browser of choice... well, actually it chose me when I was first introduced to the internet very long ago.

I'd like to try Google's Chrome browser for the game, but would prefer just to add it, not to switch to it, if that's possible. I've got ALOT of "Favorites" set up in IE that I'd like to still be able to access, and to tell you the truth, I've not ever really had any problems with IE (that I know about). I'm comfortable using it outside of WGT.

Can other, more internet savvy members, offer some specifics here about how to go about adding Chrome, or other browser to my system [Dell;Vista Home Premium(64) ; SP2 Build 6002 ; Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 at 2.33Ghz ; IE8].

I'm mainly concerned with:

- the d/l and install procedure of a new browser (preferably Chrome)

- addition of another version of Adobe Flashplayer (will I need to use the Adobe Uninstaller to get rid of my current Flash version that I use in IE?)

- d/l and install of any necessary "add-ons"

- any "compatibility issues" with other Windows programs or AV programs (I use McAfee)

- any other "recommendations" that should/must be considered when adding another browser to a system

- necessary browser "settings" to insure smooth gameplay here at WGT

- pertinent links

I realize I'm asking alot, but I'm hoping it's possible to consolidate all the ideas about browser changes here for myself and others who wish to go this route. I've searched the forums, and found bits and pieces with some great info in other threads, but I've found none that actually offer it all in a nutshell.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

PugsAce :)

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Fri, Jul 2 2010 5:04 AM

Just 'google' Chrome download and there you go. It will walk you through the install.

When it asks if you want chrome to be your default browser just say no.

It will import all your links and favorites for you so you do not have to worry about that.

As far as flash goes it may work out of the box so to speak but if not the flash download can be found here.

On a side note, I run a dell laptop with vista and had problems with chrome (I think it was Vista related). I now use Firefox and it works great.

The reason that I don't like IE is the vulnerability issues. Pretty much all virus's that attack through a browser are written for IE.

Happy hitting

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Fri, Jul 2 2010 11:23 AM

Hi PugsAce,

I`m definitely not "internet savvy" but, I have four different browsers on my desktop. I haven`t used IE for a looong time because...it`s crap! I use FF for my "main" browser(e-mail, general browsing, etc.) and Chrome for WGT(which opens to WGT, check browser settings). I also have Hulu, Flash, and a few other sites bookmarked on this browser. I also have Chrome Iron (a bare-bones version of Chrome) with TWO and WGT bookmarked among others.

It`s basically like having a toolbox(desk-top with several browsers) and choosing the right tool for the job at hand. They don`t interfere with each other and "specialize" at specific jobs, ie. gaming on one, e-mail on another, etc..

I`ll re-iterate what SC said though. Don`t set the new browser as "default"...unless you decide to use it as default because it`s better for that purpose. I did just that when I got FF. I made it my "main" browser instead of IE. You can always go back into options of that browser and re-set it anyway. You also don`t "need" to transfer sites from your existing browser unless you want to. I find it better to pick and choose what sites I want on each separate browser(specialization), keeping games on one while having mail etc. on another. Just my (un-savvy) two cents ;). 

PS: I didn`t have to do anything with Flash for the other browsers but, I Did bookmark it for easy "clearing of caches" when needed!  

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Fri, Jul 2 2010 3:16 PM

Wow guys! Thanks for the replies, and very savvy they are!   :]

soulcatcher:

The reason that I don't like IE is the vulnerability issues. Pretty much all virus's that attack through a browser are written for IE.

Soulcatcher, thanks for the answers, links, and the reminder about IE's vulnerabilities. I have a pretty good arsenal that uses McAfee and a daily-updated Windows Defender that pretty much takes care of my system during my browsing and email sessions, and I use Spybot S&D and Adaware frequently enough that I haven't had that headache for the 15+ years I've used IE... but I know that the "bugs" are out there, and I've heard how fragile IE can be - if one is lax in keeping virus file definitions up-to-date.

This begs the question, however... Will my McAfee and Defender continue to work with Chrome (or FF) when I'm using it (them), or will I have to somehow "integrate" them to be protected from a ghastly undoing of my 'puter's innards?  

mefitz:

It`s basically like having a toolbox(desk-top with several browsers) and choosing the right tool for the job at hand. They don`t interfere with each other and "specialize" at specific jobs, ie. gaming on one, e-mail on another, etc..

...      ...

PS: I didn`t have to do anything with Flash for the other browsers but, I Did bookmark it for easy "clearing of caches" when needed!  

Mefitz, that's a great way of looking at what I'd like to be able to do, as well! I intend (at first, anyways) to use Chrome for WGT, Flash cache clearing/upgrading, and maybe even the visitation of this forum, and it's great to know that they'll "play nice" when switching between the browsers.

I've read that Chrome "auto-updates" itself. Being that Adobe Flash is packaged with the Chrome download, will it force the running of the latest (and not so greatest, I've found - with IE anyways) 10.1 version of Flash? Or will I be able to still choose which version of Flash to run with Chrome? I'm assuming you only have one Flash program that is summoned when opening any one of the browsers in your "toolbox"?

Guys, these all may seem like "rookie queries", because... well... that's what I am when it comes to using any other browser. Years ago, I tried a browser that actually had 4 windows-in-one... a sort of "split-screen" browser that was pretty wild - while it worked. Can't rem the name of it right now, but I think it had as it's Title: a woman's name(?)... but I digress...

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge ... I'll probably be "turning Chrome" sometime this Holiday week-end, cause I'll have time to read-up further and do the actual download and setup. [No Work 'til Tuesday!]

And I'm sure others may benefit from seeing this "spelled-out" for them, as well!

See yunz onna links!

PugsAce  :^ )

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Fri, Jul 2 2010 4:00 PM

Good luck Pugs!!!

Chrome does work very well, for many Vista users, Firefox seems to be the browser of choice. There have been some flash issues with Firefox for some of my friends. I guess I got lucky. So perhaps Chrome is your answer.

Game booster (free) also helps along with there free Advanced System Care program which cleans your registry and does a real nice job quickly defraging your hard drive.

I cant answer many of your questions sorry to say. I'm not the most tech. knowledgeable cat in here either, but I am slowly learning the basic ropes, as you will too.

Meter stumbles are rarely a problem now.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Fri, Jul 2 2010 4:36 PM

Hey PugsAce, 

From one "rookie" to another, thanks for letting me know about the auto-updates,lol. To answer your question, I`ve had no problem with Flash updating with Chrome, it doesn`t. I also can`t use the new Flash, `03 computer with integrated graphics :(.  I did try, but until I get better graphics, it`s a bust. 

I just had a stray thought about the flash/chrome issue though. When you download Chrome, it might try to give you the "new" flash or an option to try it. Keep your eyes open for it. If it does default to the new flash with Chrome, just delete and reload the old one. Heck, if I can do it, so can you!

I seem to remember that your system is much better and newer than mine. I`m surprised that you can`t use the new Flash. Oh well, like my father has told me countless times when I`m hesitant to do something with my computer, "go ahead and try it, you can`t break it!". I always get a "Murphy`s Law" feeling when I attack something new but, I try it anyway ;). Sometimes I even learn valuable lessons from screwing up my computer(by putting it back together piece by piece :P). GL 

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Fri, Jul 2 2010 6:37 PM

"Back in the day"... lol, I had a very weak internet connection, and was hesitant to try anything on my own without some "guidance", so I'd surf for hours trying to find answers specific to my computer's problems. Most often, I'd eventually find enough info to compile what I'd need, but it was a bit trying.

I just searched for the name of that old "Multi-Windowed" browser (that I tried because I thought it would speed-up those searches)... it only took me 5 minutes to find! Myyyy... what all those years on the internet will do to hone your surfing skills! lol

BTW... the name of that browser was "KatiSoft Scroll". I doubt that it's available any longer, but it's my only other browser experience. Wasn't half-bad as I remember it, but my s-l-o-w dial-up connection back then wouldn't allow me to utilize it's full potential.

Mefitz, thanks for the heads-up on the Flash predicament I might find myself in... I've already followed Niv's directions about rolling-back to a previous Flash version, so I'm good to go there. I'm just glad it won't end-up in an endless cycle of Chrome auto-updates/Flash roll-backs.

Danohi50, GameBooster has provided me with lightning-quick loading of the screens, and such, but I must have something running in the background that I haven't closed with it, 'cause I still get screen jitter and meter stutter. That's the main reason I'm prepared to abandon IE for a better "gaming browser".

In my GameBooster list, it shows THREE (3) instances of IE are running! I have no clue about which two to close, so I've left them all running... these might be a problem right there. Oh... and btw... I'm getting an "Update Your GameBooster Now" message when I run it. I'm holding off on doing that for now, until I get my other stuff straightened-out.

Good Ideas again. Now all I gotta do is do it to it!  Thanks.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Fri, Jul 2 2010 7:25 PM

PugsAce,

Mozilla's 'Firefox' and Googles 'Chrome' browser are the two that most members seem to have the best luck with as far as running WGT. Either is just a link away as has been posted here already.

When you install any browser, most have built in prompts that ask you about importing cookies, favorites (bookmarks), etc, and also prompt you about setting them as the default. NONE of them uninstall Internet Explorer, even if you set another as the default browser, and NAY of them can be launched at any time, regardless of which one is set as the default. Basically, when you click a link, it uses the default to open the new link, and that's about all that setting the default browser does.

As far as flash goes, you will have to check each browser and its settings - if set to auto update flash, it will update to the newest version of flash, or may prompt you to update manually, each browser has its own settings you will have to get used to. I have not seen any issues with the new version of flash, but your mileage may vary.

I also highly recommend gamebooster, it goes a long way towards stopping un-neccesary services and freeing much needed resources during game play. When done playing, a few click and everything is running again.

One tip you might try, is to dedicate one browser specifically to this game. Do not install any other add-one, etc within that browser, and save the favorites that you need specific to game play, so you have a clean installation to run the game in - then use the other browsers for all of your other daily surfing. I use this approach with Chrome, and use it for NOTHING but golfing wgt, and it works well. No problem with the new update for game booster, the only real change is a more streamlined version that allows it to start and stop with one click - very user friendly.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 3:48 AM

Thanks for chiming-in, VanHalenLover. After I get "Chromed", I'll be sure to spend some time with it's settings - to become more comfortable with it's use, and also so I'll know what to expect in the way it's updating features work. It may be the case that once I've installed Chrome, I'll be able to use the new Flash w/o any problems.

Using Chrome (or Firefox) for the game seems to be the consensus of opinion, and I'll have no problems in "dedicating" Chrome for this specific use. Makes alot of sense to keep it "uncluttered" (especially in the beginning) to ensure every possible benefit is realized, not to say I won't be tempted to add-on features, I'm sure. ;)

All these tips and assurances go a long way in giving the confidence that one, such as I, have found necessary to seek - to "take the leap" into what will hopefully be a smoother gameplaying experience.

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 5:31 AM

Chrome, game booster (remember to turn it on) very few meter incidents that are not brought on by my own ineptitude, suffer a real bad case of cantfrigginputtworthadamnitis. and am very allergic to17 on the island.

i quit using IE just because of all the crap that comes up, chrome is great no extras that you do not want.

keep it in the short stuff

G

• PAGES
RSS