Forums

Help › Forums

Temp files... just curious

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 5 2010 8:21 AM (8 replies)
  • PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 11:09 PM

I've noticed in the past, when perusing my temp file folder before deleting that cache, that there are some decent-sized jpgs(400+KB) there from the game, presumably to help in loading the game's screens when necessary.

After clearing them tonight, I played a round at St. A's... went back to my temp files, and no jpgs (or ANYTHING) had been downloaded/saved there after that round. The same 408files (cookies) were the only things there.

Shouldn't some files have been downloaded? Or maybe they'll show-up in the folder after I close my browser? (I'll check that later)

Just curious, as I'm thinking of changing the way my browser handles the temp files.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 11:37 PM

Hi Pugs,

Cache is written on the fly.  Even when I just open the game cilent I can see the files being written in real time.  Just opening the game-client took up about 5MB of cache space.  If you run Firefox you can type about:cache into the URL bar to check your current cache size.  Clear the web cache, refresh the about:cache page and then open the game-client in a new window.  Continue to refresh about:cache while the client is loading and you should see the disk cache device storage amount increasing with each refresh.

Is it possible that your cache size was decreased to an extremely low level or that it is not storing objects like it should?  Perhaps a security level was adjusted within your browser?

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Thu, Jul 1 2010 3:56 AM

I use IE8. Cache size is where I set it (500MB). Recently updated my Directx runtime library. Could this have changed my security settings?  I thought my security was set to "Medium", but now my security is set to "Medium-High" (isn't allowing d/l of unsigned ActiveX controls).  Does WGT use any of those?

I remember seeing xmls, jpgs, the wgt sound files... all those from wgt... in my temp files... they just aren't there ...

Weird thing right now... losing connection to WGT's "PLAY NOW" graphics [<<<---over there] as I'm typing this... had to click retry... THAT never happened before, either.

Dunno what's going on. Will have to check further into my security level settings... would it be a "proper thing to do" - to put WGT.com as a "trusted site" so I can setup "special allowances"? But, I think "https" comes into play when "trusting" a site then.

Thx for the suggestions, Niv... if it gets too weird, I'll send wgt an email for help/suggestions... hopefully it's just some type of  temporary IE burp.

BTW... Is there a similar (to "about:cache") operation for IE that I could use?

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 4:31 AM

Just to report... my temp files are "back in action"... files are being d/l'd and saved...

... but it seems there are far less jpgs than before, probably stemming from the lack of skycam views while opponents are hitting (?).

I have no clue what happened during those rounds when files weren't being deposited into my temp folder, but it didn't seem to affect gameplay at all.

Don't know if things (file d/l's) have been "streamlined", or what... but I've had a much smoother WGT experience since the last downtime. 

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 11:45 AM

No, unfortunately there's not an about:cache option for IE.  To see your temps in IE I believe you have to navigate to the folder where they are stored, but I could be wrong about that.  My experience with IE stopped with version 6.  I've been using FireFox ever since.

PugsAce:
    ... but it seems there are far less jpgs than before, probably stemming from the lack of skycam views while opponents are hitting (?).

Quite possible.  They may also be optimizing which files you do receive by default in the beginning of the round to cut down on initial loading times.

Glad to hear you're doing ok though. =)

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sun, Jul 4 2010 9:28 AM

I may have spoken too soon about the lesser amount of jpgs... they're back en masse.

Not that I'm surprised... this IS a "photo intensive" game.

Here's what's in my temporary internet files folder right now:

Size: 478 MB (502,181,156 bytes)

Size on disk: 555 MB (582,144,000 bytes)

Contains: 24,624files, 109 Folders

Seems like it's about to be filled to the max...

I have my folder size set to 500MB (it says, "recommended 50-250MB")... and I have it set to "Automatically check for newer versions of stored pages"... do you think it would behoove me to "re-double" my setting to 1000MB, clear my cache more often (like... every few rounds), or change my "check for newer versions of stored pages" to "Never"?

This MAY all be moot, as I'm about to take the plunge into "Chrome-dom", but I'm assuming that that browser will either "share" the existing one, or have a "Temporary Internet File" folder of it's own, who's limits can be adjusted(?)... am I wrong in my thinking this?

I know these queries would prob'ly be better answered in a "computing forum", but having found that we have many computer-literate members here, as well as members who may be interested in the answers, I ask them here... whether they're deemed pertinent, or not.

BTW... Control Panel > Network and Internet > Internet Options > On "General" Tab of Internet Properties, under Browsing history  > "Settings" ... is where I change the size... then, click "view files" button to see them.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sun, Jul 4 2010 11:20 AM

As a frame of reference, Internet Explorer 6+ sets your cache size to 10% of your total hard drive capacity.  If you have a 250GB hard drive then 25GB is automatically reserved for temp files.

If your cache is overly large it may slow down your access times by a smidge (tech term), but that's about the only harm that could really be done.  Bump it up to 750MB and see if you can even notice the difference.  If you don't see a difference then step it up a little more.  It'll be trial and error for a bit while you figure out the optimum setting, but the more files you can store in the cache the less the server has to be contacted to acquire what you don't have.  That usually means faster loading since you already have the file/picture that you need.

As for Chrome, I recall reading that you cannot adjust its cache.  I believe it's set to ~100MB and cannot be modified.  Chrome does has it's own about:cache and stores your cache separately from other browsers.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sun, Jul 4 2010 2:33 PM

Google Chrome Cache Size

Yes, the cache size can be resized.  Please read the following article

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Jul 5 2010 8:21 AM

Thanks guys. Interesting stuff.

I read through the thread about moving/resizing Chrome's temp cache, but it left me wondering... Is Chrome's cache size limited to a size so small that there are files being dropped as new files are downloaded, or is it "open-ended" which would allow it to grow to an unmanageable size?

On one hand - it mentions in the article that the concerns from Chrome users are that this large size can result in  fragmentation, which may become an issue, hence the desire of some to move it's entire cache to a different directory [away from the main (C:) drive].

On the other hand - there are concerns that Chrome finds it necessary for files to be dropped to make room for "newer" downloaded files...

I installed/used Chrome yesterday. First round I played was "relatively flawless"... smooth meter... steady screen graphics... stable loading... THEN everything went bonkers during the second round.  :/

Once, in multiplay, suddenly I got a "White Screen" disconnect before any of us got a chance to even tee-off on the First hole. This killed the round for the three of us. Then...

I started receiving MEGA "load errors" that caused Quit/Saves of my rounds. Even after closing down the browser, performance steadily went downhill with frequent meter stutter, jerky ball flight/roll and avatar motion (especially on the greens), and slow-loading of screen graphics.

I don't know whether these problems were related to Chrome's cache-size, or not, but I found it interesting that they showed-up AFTER a smooth round, and that they grew in intensity and frequency as I continued to play. Interestingly, at one point, even though the screen graphics were deplorable, the swing meter stabilized, giving me a stutter-free round.

I should also mention that Flash10.1 was "delivered" with my Chrome d/l, so IT could be compounding issues... I intend to revert back to 10.0 today to see if there's any differences with it.

Oh... do Chrome users routinely (before or after each game session) clear Chrome's temp cache?

RSS