Help › Forums

Handicapping

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jul 2 2010 6:01 AM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 10:08 AM

The CC Walkthrough thread took an interesting turn into a discussion about competing and I would like to continue it here by asking if there is a way to handicap scores and preclude sandbaggers? Or, better asked, how would/do handicaps work?

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 10:18 AM

YankeeJim:

The CC Walkthrough thread took an interesting turn into a discussion about competing and I would like to continue it here by asking if there is a way to handicap scores and preclude sandbaggers? Or, better asked, how would/do handicaps work?

Considering the fact that a handicap is based on your average differential (which is based on a mathmatical equation) I would think that this would not apply to masters and pro's (being that a pro in RL means better than scratch or better than a 0 HDCP).  However it could work for hack's and Amatuers.

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 10:29 AM

Handicap differential = ( ESC score - course rating) × 113 / (slope rating).

Ex: Kiawah's stats from the amatuer tees are 132/70.9 and lets say as an amatuer i shot 90

So the equation is (90-70.9) x 113/132 = 16.3 (that's my differential)

Now a handicap is my 10 best differeintial's out of my last 14 rounds, which is then averaged and then multiplied by .96

So if my best 10  differentials were 16.3   17  18  16.5  9  19  22 13  16.1  16.7 that would give me an average differential of 16.2 x .96 = 15.552

So in short, my handicap would be 15.5 (always round up unless its .0)

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 10:43 AM

KingOfTheCourse:
    Considering the fact that a handicap is based on your average differential (which is based on a mathmatical equation) I would think that this would not apply to masters and pro's (being that a pro in RL means better than scratch or better than a 0 HDCP).  However it could work for hack's and Amatuers.

I disagree, there is no correlation between a RL Pro and a WGT Pro label.  WGT tiers are merely arbitrary boundaries between players of different skill levels.  Might as well call them A Players, B Players, C Players etc....

A properly implemented handicap system would work fine at WGT IMO, for all tiers.  But "properly implemented" is the key.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 10:50 AM

I'm on my lunch hour so can't go into this.. but here you go.

You need to establish an Handicap INDEX 1st.

from there you can figure out your Handicap from any set of tees on any course.

Index is always a decimal...handicap always rounded off.

Formula:
    Handicap Index® multiplied by Slope Rating® of tees played, divided by Standard Slope Rating (113) = Answer (rounded to nearest whole number, .4 rounds down and .5 rounds up)

Example: 10.4 Handicap Index x 125 Slope Rating / 113 Standard Slope Rating = 11.5 = 12 Course Handicap

Please visit Sections 3-3 and 10-4 of the USGA Handicap System manual for further reference.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 11:21 AM

How is the actual number, whatever way it's calculated, used? In bowling it was a % over your average added to your score. How does it work with golf?

Use KOTC's 16 hdcp. He's in a match with a scratch golfer. How does it make the chances of winning equal between the 2?

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 12:24 PM

I just don't see how any kind of handicap system would work here.

I could be wrong here, but I think that your USGA handicap is based on an average of ALL the sanctioned rounds you play, correct?

Your WGT average is based only on the best 10 of your last 14 ranked rounds.

So one week, I could be a 2 handicap and next week, through my blowing up a couple rounds, I could be a 14? .

YankeeJim:
    How does it work with golf?

I can answer that one, Jim ...  the higher handicapped player gets strokes equaling the difference in handicaps.. in this case, 16 strokes. Every hole on the course has a handicap rating from 1 to 18, with 1 being the hardest. KOTC would get a stroke on 16 holes, in effect making par 4's turn into par 5's, 3's into 4's etc ( on the holes where he gets a stroke).

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 12:49 PM

YankeeJim:

How is the actual number, whatever way it's calculated, used? In bowling it was a % over your average added to your score. How does it work with golf?

Use KOTC's 16 hdcp. He's in a match with a scratch golfer. How does it make the chances of winning equal between the 2?

If I was playing a scratch and i had a 16 hdncp then i would get 1 storke on the 16 hardest holes.  This is terms should make the round fair.  Now if i was lets say a 16.8 handicap then i'd get 17 strokes

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 1:10 PM

Hey Gents.  Just an FYI

I've been doing golf handicaps for golf trips and functions for about 20 years.   KOTC did the math exactly as it should be done.   An index is established for each round based on the slope/rating of the course.   In the U.S. the GHIN (Golf Handicap and Information Network - GHIN.com) uses the 10 best indexes out of the last 20 rounds and averages them for your handicap index.   (Other parts of the world use different systems --- might be an issue for WGT with their affiliations with the R&A ... just guessing).

Each course than has a scale of handicaps based on index.  For example I am a 15.2 index ... I get 17 strokes on my muni course which has a slope of 126.   More on higher slope courses.

Handicaps are used 2 ways -

1) In match play .... my 17 strokes vs. someone's 11 strokes .. i get strokes on the 6 hardest holes based on how the course has handicapped their holes.

2) In stroke play ... I've played in tournaments that give anywhere from 70% to 100% of the full handicap difference to the player ... normally it's about 80%.    So I would get 14 stokes in a stroke play tournament.   (i.e. 80% of my 17 handicap - not of my 15.2 index)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 30 2010 5:23 PM

Thanks for the education all. I could see where it would really be fun to have a section/tier/CC that accommodated handicaps in competition. Unfortunately, every time I think of something SANDBAGGERS jumps up and squashes it.

I think jeffdos is right.

• PAGES
RSS