Forums

Help › Forums

Swing meter pauses while I'm in the middle of a swing.

Mon, Jul 26 2010 10:28 AM (6 replies)
  • golferrrrr
    44 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 11:49 PM

On the weekend erased my hard drive and re-installed windows but that still didn't fix it. Is the problem my computer or wgt's servers?

• golferrrrr
    44 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 1:54 PM

Wondered if it's my internet connection that's too slow. Checked a few bandwidth speed test sites. It gets about this 4.67Mbps. Then the chart says, it would take a 1MB file 2 sec, 10MB file 17 sec, 100MB file 171 sec. Do I gotta upgrade to some faster internet to load all those golf angle maps? Sounds like its bogging it down.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 2:01 PM

Internet connection doesn't have much to do with it really.  Slow connection issues would appear as longer load times between holes and during the initial startup.  Files are only cached between shots and between holes, but not during your actual swing.  No information is transferred during the swing itself (unless you've turned on the background loading option that is normally defaulted to off).

You can check out your system specifications to make they meet or exceed our basic System Requirements.  For some folks the issue lies in the inability to get a good frame rate (screen redraws) and that would appear as a general slowdown across the board (but would affect the meter as well).  If you notice slowdowns in all areas, it's likely a frame rate issue and that can be somewhat alleviated by trying a few of the performance tips on my profile.  Lowering the graphics quality to Medium or Low seems to help the most for players like yourself.

What are your system specs?

• golferrrrr
    44 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 6:40 PM

Oh I've got a 2.2GHz, 2GB ram and there's no video card it uses ram for that.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 10:54 PM

You're about in the same situation as me then.  We're both right on that minimum spec line, so like me you will experience the occasional slowdown in the game.  You probably experience it the most on greens with larger grids.

I recommend checking out and trying a few of the suggestions for gameplay improvement on my profile.  Turning off certain game options like the putting grid, flagstick animations, reflections and turning down the graphics quality should helps my performance quite a bit and should help to yours as well.

• ErnieCabrera
    1 Posts
    Mon, Jul 26 2010 9:52 AM

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately none of the tips in forums I have read seem to help, I wish WGT themselves could shed some light. A colleague and I have the same specc'ed work machines, he sits a yard from me, yet his runs smoothly, and mine jerks at the most inopportune times

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Jul 26 2010 10:28 AM

Ernie...  from this thread..

WGTniv:
    The assumption that latency, ping or internet connection speed affects your meter is completely false.  The "high traffic" rumors are as well.  Even during the busiest of times there is hardly a dent in server capacity.

Your meter (and most of the game itself) is rendered locally on your PC by files that are stored in your cache.  Everything with the swing happens on the user end with no dependancy on the server at all.  The server is waiting for your  PC to send the result of the swing after the ding is clicked and will wait there all day. 

The server only comes into play when the shot result has been sent.  The result is sent to the server, calculated and then almost instantaneously returned to the player.  The player's PC then animates those results as the flight path of the ball and you watch what happened to your shot.  Once the shot is over the server communicates to the player which picture is needed and will send the next picture to the player if it's not already in their cache.  This is what is happening between shots while you are "Loading..".  The new picture loads and we rinse and repeat for the next shot.

RSS