Help › Forums

Game Dynamics All Wrong?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 10 2010 3:47 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • GarryEdkins
    49 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 1:46 AM

Is it just me or has anyone else realised the game destroying issue of the ball trajectory?

No matter what club i use the effect is always the same, each and every shot is bump and run, chip and run?

Short irons are supposed to be used in and around the green to chip close to the flag, which is imperative if there are bunkers and such between your ball and the flag. Click on the short irons and it even tells you "Designed to land very close to the flag" yet they all do the same thing like i said, they just bump and run.

What a shame, i could have seen myself wiling away many hours on this game, but whats the point when the very dynamics of the game dont work?

If i'm missing something please let me know? i only started playing yesterday, but noticed this issue immediately and have been testing it out ever since and its a blatant problem.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 11:39 AM

Read THIS.

There are certain times to use each of the pitch, chip and flop.

With the starter equipment you will never get enough spin to stop it on a dime but once you learn how to use them properly you can very accurately predict the out come of each shot.

Happy hitting

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 11:41 AM

It has more to do with your starter clubs and balls.  Those particular items do not have any spin rating, thus the ball will tend to roll out.   If you are willing and able take a quick look in the pro shop.  Here is a comparison chart for all equipment.  I dont think it is current, but it will give you a starting point.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/6927/43616.aspx#43616

Cheers

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 12:57 PM

Garry-The irony of your post is that this game really does take the trajectory of the ball into account. In fact, there are 2 sets of irons that are markedly different because of the trajectory (TMs vs Pings) and the attributes of the different balls enhance this. 

Starting out it might not seem so but as you progress you will begin to appreciate the subtleties of this game. Knowing what you do about the real game will definitely help you here, you would just need the proper equipment. Then play the game the same way you would IRL and it will begin to make sense.

The dynamics are in place and represent the actual game fairly well. For the going rate of a round of real golf you can be set up very nicely here and it will make the whole trip very realistic. GL

• GarryEdkins
    49 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 7:48 PM

Appreciate the replys fellas, but i still stick by my original observation, admittedly i have just started out and am using only the basic clubs/balls etc, yet the game dynamics should not be any different, short irons are supposed to be used to "land the ball on the green" when within distance, if that were the case i could then fully understand not getting close to the pin due to the "basic" equipment i am using, which should make it difficult to control the ball sufficiently once it has landed "on the green".

If these basic structures are not in place then i cannot even consider spending "real money" improving my equipment.

In reality i have only ever played a dozen or so full rounds of golf, but even so i still use the short irons in an attempt to land on the green, rarely succesful because of my lack of ability but playing this game the driving and putting at least makes some sense, whilst the short iron shots to make the green do not.

I'm NOT asking for an easy game, far from it, i am more than happy to face a learning curve, but the dynamics of the game HAVE to be there to begin with.

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 9:01 PM

They are Gary when you buy top dollar clubs they will do just what your saying, when you learn to use them. But with starters god help you.

You will understand in time every new player says what you have then come to realize this game is as close to real as it gets. Im not saying it is not frustrating though.

CSC

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Wed, Jun 2 2010 11:32 PM

GarryEdkins:

Is it just me or has anyone else realised the game destroying issue of the ball trajectory?

No matter what club i use the effect is always the same, each and every shot is bump and run, chip and run?

Short irons are supposed to be used in and around the green to chip close to the flag, which is imperative if there are bunkers and such between your ball and the flag. Click on the short irons and it even tells you "Designed to land very close to the flag" yet they all do the same thing like i said, they just bump and run.

What a shame, i could have seen myself wiling away many hours on this game, but whats the point when the very dynamics of the game dont work?

If i'm missing something please let me know? i only started playing yesterday, but noticed this issue immediately and have been testing it out ever since and its a blatant problem.

Pay no attention to the resident sycophants.

The simple solution is to use different shot types. They work with all clubs.. even the "starters".

Most people on here tout "upgraded" clubs in hope to gain brownie points with the powers that be (LMAO) at WGT. They snivel. You see them all around these forums.. always ready to encourage you to upgrade clubs.

Learn the shots.. especially the flop. THat's the shot that you're looking for. Learn how to hit it. It's the greatest short shot on here in my opinion.. and it works with all sets of clubs. Good luck.

• GarryEdkins
    49 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 4:46 AM

Cheers mate, to be honest i have no problem with the flop/pitch/punch/chip, i have used these all before on many a golf game over the years, my main issue is the short irons around 80-100 yards of the pin.

Example - I have a 88 yard shot to the green and choose my 9 iron that goes 100 yards, the green is slightly downhill from where i am, yet despite hitting the ball 100% the only chance of getting on the green is for the ball to "bump and run" which if the green is surrounded by bunkers is impossible, i basically have to lay up short and hit a flop/chip/punch from 20 yards or so.

So basically, when using a short iron and i'm within that particular clubs range then i SHOULD be making the green, with the difficult part of the shot being to control it once it hits the green, if you look at the games own explanation of what the "short irons" do, it says......

INCREASED LOFT AND SPIN FOR HIGH ARCING SHOTS DESIGNED TO LAND VERY CLOSE TO THE FLAG AND STOP RATHER QUICKLY.

GENERALLY THE "EASIEST" TO HIT WITH THE MOST ACCURACY FROM SHORT DISTANCES.

Regardless of how "crap" my clubs are they should still do the basics and they dont, this tells me that the game dynamics(at least for short irons) dont work.

• GarryEdkins
    49 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 8:05 AM

Just to see if it would make a difference i foolishly made a purchase so i could buy some half decent equipment, whilst it has made things a tad better, it has become so hard to get the timing right for a shot that i'm not convinced its worth it?

I hit a high % of fairways and have improved on my % of greens hit, but quite a bit of the time i cannot even reach the fairway on some courses, or even the green in two?

I think i spent 400 credits on a putter that actually seems WORSE than the one i began with?

I also have a high end computer 2.6GH quad core, but the lagging when playing(including the pause when i go to take a shot) is massively off putting and spoils the game even further.

Oh and another thing, i cannot tell you how many times i watch the ball on the green rolling effortlessly toward the cup and then instantly stopping dead even on downhill shots? and the worst thing of all, the putts that hang half in half out of the whole that NEVER drop.

I dont see how this is better than any golf game i've ever played, even the old PS1 games were better than this, i know all games come with bugs these days but this one is beyond the joke.

• GarryEdkins
    49 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 12:53 PM

Seriously, how sh*t is this game, i just played a par 3 which was 192 yards, i used a 200 yard club wind against ever so slightly downhill and i put spin on(a shoy i've already played a dozen times or more) and the ball went 228 yards without a bounce straight into a bunker at the back of the green???

Played a shot earlier had 6 yards left onto an uphill green, the club max was 15 yards, i went just over halfway and the ball went 15 yards UPHILL???

Flat 4 foot putts not going in, despite going halfway up a 15ft putting meter?

Perfect hits from the rough going just 2 yards?

I've foolishly spent $50 on equipment as i expected this to improve my game, all i do is hit the ball further and i'm hitting less birdies than i was with the "free" clubs i was given.

Who do i see about getting my money back because i've been robbed?

Yet another issue, how many posts do i need before my posts actually show up straight away.

The whole thing is very unproffessional and rather lame.

• PAGES
RSS