Forums

Help › Forums

Misspellings

Wed, Jun 2 2010 3:43 PM (30 replies)
  • Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, May 31 2010 8:57 AM

I agree. This thread is way over due.

The first thing a (online) college instructor teaches, is to proof read your posts, out loud. I'm not a perfect writer, but then again who is? It's ridiculous for someone to write a post explaining their thoughts, and then obliterate the English language. It's hard for the author to be taken serious at that point, not to mention trying to understand the message the author is conveying.

I believe this is a professional venue where people should convey, and conduct themselves in a professional manner, starting with their writing. JMO.  : )

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, May 31 2010 10:10 AM

My two cents worth... the rest of my fortune is tied up in WGT golf gear. 

Regarding misspellings and poor grammar... there is the case that many posters to these formus are from foreign countries where they speak English as a second language.  I would be less stringent on them.  However, if you're from the U.S., Canada, England, some others...

And on that note, wondering if the WGT forums plan to implement Spell Check?

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, May 31 2010 10:43 AM

Doublemochaman:
    wondering if the WGT forums plan to implement Spell Check?

Maybe, but most browsers have spell check included in them already. Their easy to use.

• TarheelsRule
    5,480 Posts
    Mon, May 31 2010 11:08 AM

Frankly I don't tend to pay much attention to the spelling on the forums, possibly because I am so bad at it myself and I doubt that most posters are worried about getting an english teacher to grade their posts    lol   This is a golf forum not an english class.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, May 31 2010 11:15 AM

WGT, how about extra credits for good spelling and grammar???  (It's a joke)

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, May 31 2010 12:39 PM

Richard4168:
    I'm not a perfect writer, but then again who is?

Doublemochaman:
    there is the case that many posters to these formus are from foreign countries where they speak English as a second language.

Isn't it funny, guys, how the one person on these forums who was the best communicator  (with more than 100 posts) was also not a native English speaker?

Apparently there is an exception to every rule.

Oh.. and DMM... Turn that "it's a joke" sign off!  Come on now!  Daddy needs a new Tri Master driver and a new sleeve of balls (or 6)!!   =^P

• drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Mon, May 31 2010 1:37 PM

Richard4168:
    Maybe, but most browsers have spell check included in them already. Their easy to use.

Since we're talking about misspelling

Maybe they're not all that easy.........I'm just saying...........

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, May 31 2010 1:55 PM

Now now, DChaos, in Richard's defense, that word technically wasn't misspelled...   =)

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, May 31 2010 1:59 PM

With the new WGT Spelling & Grammar credits in place Snaike, Faterson, Richard, YankeeJim (and others I've overlooked) win enough credits in less than a year to collectively own the Mazaratti!  Ahh, but who gets to drive (and wreck) it first?

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Mon, May 31 2010 2:00 PM

I'm with the OP here,  I always make sure to triple check anything I type on an online golf forum,  very srs biz.

RSS