Forums

Help › Forums

Adjust for Elevation

Sat, Sep 17 2022 9:52 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2012 5:13 PM

Does anyone have a 'Rule-of-thumb' for an uphill approach shot?  Example: 130 yards to pin, a 9-Iron for a level shot, but what adjustment would you make for uphill 25 feet?  Also, what would you allow for the lack of backspin (Or run-out) on the shot?

Thanks in advance.

• LeGeNdCrUsHeR
    2,067 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2012 5:19 PM

Add 1 yard for every 3 feet up, as well as down.

For a 130 yard approach shot with a 25 foot elevation, I would hit roughly 135 with a touch of backspin, or 142ish for full back spin.  Of course, it all depends on the equipment that you utilize for how you play your shot.

Hope this helps :)

Rich 

• ozysouthpaw
    2,857 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2012 5:22 PM

I think the general rule of thumb is 1 yard for every 3 feet of elevation change.

Your example - 130 yds, uphill 25 feet = I would add 8 yards making it a 138 yd shot.

Most times you would apply full backspin.

As with most of this game, practice and take notes. Good Luck!

• Cleworthy
    3,466 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2012 6:21 PM

Ditto above but use less for wedges.  The amount of roll out depends on your ball, club (ball flight), amount of back spin used and of course the green speed.  Trial and error my friend.  C

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2012 6:56 PM

The answer depends on the equipment involved, mainly the trajectory of the clubs.

The contour of the landing zone is equally important, rising, falling, horizontal? How will the ball behave there with more or less spin?

A clue to imagine what happens is a picture of the shot trajectory, rising and falling in a ballistic curve. When the target zone is pulled up, the shot lands shorter and flatter. Thus, the carry will diminish but the forward impulse will increase, in proportion with the shot height. Thus, Starters and other low trajectory clubs need ample space to land shorter but the ball will roll longer. In extreme, you may land on the front of certain greens if you add enough club (e.g. two numbers) and of course the ball will only stop behind it, in the rough. CCC ##2+3 are notorious, you will furtheron have to aim to green center because you'll never carry the rough and bunker and stop close to the flag.

With top clubs, it becomes easier. Add little or even no length, have much less run, more pin positions accessible, more precision. Take premium clubs and balls, apply backspin and stop (almost) on the dime. For this combination the common formula may be fitting.

It may also be worth to experiment with less or no backspin, perhaps even topspin. Backspin will tremendously shorten the shot because it stops close to the shorter landing point, top spin may add quite a lot of length."no spin" may result in shorter flight but longer roll, perhaps longer than the shot with spin.

The results depend on the equipment, see above.

• canuck4everr
    100 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2012 8:09 PM

add 1 yard for every 2 feet up

subtract 1 yard for every 3 feet down

i used this formula playing links2003 for many years and use it here in wgt.

Are most players here using ....add 1 yard for every 3 feet up ??

• trickee
    318 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2012 8:29 PM

ahhh so you want Grandma's special soup recipie do you?...   ok mines a little different just like everyone else's im sure so here goes...

UPHILL Shots- add 8 yards for every 25ft of elevation ie: 25ft=+8yd, 12ft=+4yd, 6ft=+2yd

DOWNHILL Shots because of there nature and angle of approach respond a little differently - subtract 1 yard for every 10ft ie:  50ft= -5yd, 30ft= -3yd  15ft=-2yd 

Having played the EA Sports Tiger Woods franchise I took what worked there an applied it here and it seems to work just fine. Of coarse like previously mentioned equipment and conditions all play a major factor. It may look strange but it works for me;   you asked...  lol

• LeGeNdCrUsHeR
    2,067 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2012 8:31 PM

canuck4everr:
    Are most players here using ....add 1 yard for every 3 feet up ?

Well, no disrespect intended, but 3 feet is "1 yard".

The answer to that question is yes, almost everyone I know on WGT uses that formula.

• canuck4everr
    100 Posts
    Sat, Oct 6 2012 9:43 PM

LeGeNdCrUsHeR:

canuck4everr:
    Are most players here using ....add 1 yard for every 3 feet up ?

Well, no disrespect intended, but 3 feet is "1 yard".

The answer to that question is yes, almost everyone I know on WGT uses that formula.

3 feet is 36 inches too , did ya know that .  Just teasing ya lol

Ok i will change my uphill formula , no wonder a lot of my uphill approaches were going long .

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Sun, Oct 7 2012 12:01 AM

Please take Alosso's info to heart. Roughly a yard of distance lost for every 3 ft of elev to target area, or a bit less than a yard of gained for each yard of drop to the target area. But it's very dependent on equipment and slope in the landing area.

It's a very good rule of thumb for shots of 150 yds or more, but starts breaking down as the target gets closer, because of the higher ball flight with shorter clubs. 25 feet up at 150 yds? Sure give it ~8 extra yards, but at 100 yds away, same elev., I only give it 4 or 5 extra yds; at 80, just 2 or 3 yds extra; and at 60, maybe nothing extra at all if the landing area is relatively flat. 

• PAGES
RSS