Help › Forums

About average and sandbagging

rated by 0 users
Thu, May 27 2010 9:16 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Sun, May 23 2010 11:41 AM

Yes.. I remember learning that it was virtually impossible to hit that 3 foot square patch of sand.  The other trick that SOMETIMES would work would be hitting the DRIVE with a FULL OVERSPIN - and if you were really lucky you would get 2 or 3 short (dull thud) bounces in the 20-25 ROUGH and trickle into the first 5 feet of Fairway Grass.  Even with OVERSPIN, if landing in the 30-40 (or heavier) ROUGH - Forget it.  Stopped dead in heavy rough SHORT of the fairway.  LOL.  The memories flood back.  I think there was also a weird way to ricochet off of a tree and have a Fairway Landing.  A Fairway Landing there FELT LIKE an EAGLE at that time.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sun, May 23 2010 11:54 AM

Yes, those were the "good ol' days" with our wooden starter clubs and the leaden starter putter and mushy low-distance balls.  And somehow Avatar Lee, Tibbets and NASA Golfer managed to shoot in the low 60's on Bethpage in the WGT U.S. Open!  Did I forget Nivlac?

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, May 23 2010 4:04 PM

If I remember correctly, one needed to shoot a 70 or less to qualify, and then it was one round for the championship which NASA Golfer won with a 65 and NCVIZ was second place. I never was able to hit the qualifying 70...best I could do back then was 73.

1,644 Posts
    Tue, May 25 2010 1:33 PM

I had lowest qualifying @61 but choked with even par 70 in the final round.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Tue, May 25 2010 1:49 PM

Sorry Avatar Lee... your reputation preceeds you.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, May 25 2010 4:05 PM

Sucks being mediocre, doesn't it?!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, May 25 2010 4:47 PM

I had lowest qualifying @61

And here we are, a year later, with bazookas, laser guided irons and velcro ball/green combos and what does BPB give up these days?  High 50s, low 60s by the best. That's a pretty consistent game from where I see it.

Somebody knows what the heck they're doing with this game.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, May 25 2010 10:10 PM

LOL...I remember watching the way you and Tibbets kept going downtown day after day...I just couldn't get it, how it was possible... even with the very best clubs of those times,back then, that 61 was NUTS! Always fun to enjoy the recent past. 

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Thu, May 27 2010 9:16 AM

Ive been on around a year now..yeah I remember the Open at Death page..Still have only 1 61 to show for that one, even with all the new equipment....blows my mind that even today with my fancy stuff. Avatar Lee playing stock equipment would probably kick my ass lol

• PAGES
RSS