About average and sandbagging

rated by 0 users
Thu, May 27 2010 9:16 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Angeltotti20
    296 Posts
    Sat, May 22 2010 4:32 AM

I'm going to be short and simple:

Keeping best 10 of last 14 rounds it's ok for hacks and amateurs. Once you're promoted to pro, the number of rounds that build your avg. should be increased (15/18 for example). And even more one you're a master (24/26 for ex.). If the new legend/elite/peoplewhousuallyshoot20'sand50's tier is released, 30/30 would be nice lol.

Why? It would show a more true avg., not just a "how well i've played last 2 days" and avg. wouldn't jump from 61 to 58 in 2 good rounds.

It's something that i had in my mind and wanted to share.... :)

To avoid sandbagging, i'd introduce a second way to promote from one tier to another. For example, when a pro has X (15?) rounds of 32/64 or under he automatically becomes master.

Well, that's all, any thoughts/ideas are welcome ;)

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, May 22 2010 1:09 PM

Angel, I think your on to something here.

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Sat, May 22 2010 1:35 PM

One of the best ideas I've heard in awhile =)

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Sat, May 22 2010 3:28 PM

some very excellent points from a tightass, well thought out angel. we got some pros around here who can walk that thin line pro/master quite well. JB

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Sat, May 22 2010 4:35 PM

Adding onto these ideas....

I have also from time to time expressed the idea that when promoting from tier to tier...

It seems it would make sense to also apply some sort of "logic" to the averages to determine if the person is playing a VARIETY of courses.  If they have 14 KIawah Back 9s or St. Andrews Front 9s as their "Most recent 14" - well that would tend to suggest they may not be honing their skills evenly.  A consideration like this might also involve some form of "weighting".

I tend to frown upon the idea that being really great at one or 2 sets of 9 Holes and ignoring the rest makes for "Promotion" to the next Tier material.  As things stand currently, this is allowable, though.

** Disclaimer:  WGT does not disclose exactly how the averages work - so this may already be considered.

It is just my 2 cents. - AtlantaCoaster

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Sun, May 23 2010 9:39 AM

AtlantaCoaster:

Something in that. Personally I decided that if I were going to conquer this game I would take on the damnedest course there was - Bethpage - and just pound on that one till I figured it out (and found the sweet spot on the meter). Tough love. Anything below par seems to be rewarded there (and rightly so). When I got down to around a 68 average (as calculated by WGT in its wisdom), I took a break on another course, shot -4, and my average went UP. There would need to be some kind of slope system involved, as in figuring handicaps.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, May 23 2010 11:12 AM

zagraniczniak:
    Something in that. Personally I decided that if I were going to conquer this game I would take on the damnedest course there was - Bethpage - and just pound on that one till I figured it out

That is a great path with rewards. When WGT opened Beth last June, It was kicking every ass here, BIG TIME! All we had was starter balls and 235yard drivers that couldn't reach fairways with a perfect strike. But it sure did teach the short game and the how to get out of trouble, creative aspect that exists for all who wish to find it.

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Sun, May 23 2010 11:23 AM

oh those were the days, SweetiePie...

On Bethpage #5 you could not even clear the sand and rough at the START of the Fairway unless there was a tailwind.  LOL  This and other "problems".

I also tend to play ALOT of Bethpage...and I do talk about it a good bit if you see my entry in the "The Un-Cheaters and Un-Quitters" Forum Thread - it has some topics related to this one - no need to repropduce it all here.

Take Care,  AtlantaCoaster

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sun, May 23 2010 11:23 AM

Very zen.  Excellent post.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sun, May 23 2010 11:37 AM

Ahh, A/C... but there was a hard patch on that island of long grass just short of #5 fairway. and if you could hit it your ball would ricochet forward into the fairway in a very miraculous fashion.  One day soon i shall equip my bag with starter clubs and ballsand play a round at Bethpage from the black tees, just for kicks and memories.

• PAGES
RSS