Forums

Help › Forums

'Tough-It-Out': The Trans-Atlantic Starter Clubs Uneven Open

Mon, Nov 12 2012 1:35 PM (333 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Nov 1 2012 10:10 AM

SPINO1:
    Teewade and i played the front nine tonight but he had to leave early,he has saved all relevent cards n stats and we will resume tomorrow...hope this is ok.

Corwyn:
    Of course that's OK, Stu. Thanks for the update... 

... and I'm very curious to know, are you trying for the Ave Distance to the Pin prize, and if so, how are you doing so far?

SPINO1:
    i couldnt possibly say lol........

But my GIR is very low after 9 holes.

Hi Stu,

Just wondering if you've gotten to your second 9 yet with TeeWade... and very much hoping you'll share some more info on your daring quest... !

• SPINO1
    5,394 Posts
    Thu, Nov 1 2012 12:59 PM

Corwyn:

SPINO1:
    Teewade and i played the front nine tonight but he had to leave early,he has saved all relevent cards n stats and we will resume tomorrow...hope this is ok.

Corwyn:

... and I'm very curious to know, are you trying for the Ave Distance to the Pin prize, and if so, how are you doing so far?

SPINO1:

Hi Stu,

Just wondering if you've gotten to your second 9 yet with TeeWade... and very much hoping you'll share some more info on your daring quest... !

Sorry bud ,been having some connection issues with this match.Firstly we played the front 9 but unfortunately the stats seemed to have not been saved although Tee has the score card,we tried to play from the start and got to #6 before we had the wgt error page , neither of us got back in time to continue.

I will say i was playing this tactically,(wrongly or rightly) my ave distance to pin for the front 9 was 0ft. Although gir was 11% as par 3s are not taken into consideration on these holes.

ive been laying up and leaving a small wedge to every green and trusting my putting ability to help me to par (not very good lol)Playing this way means that the adp does not come into affect as it only uses shots in regulation.

We have resheduled our match again for thursday night.

Best wishes

stu

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Nov 1 2012 10:42 PM

SPINO1:

Corwyn:

SPINO1:

Corwyn:

SPINO1:

Hi Stu,

Sorry bud ,been having some connection issues with this match.Firstly we played the front 9 but unfortunately the stats seemed to have not been saved although Tee has the score card,we tried to play from the start and got to #6 before we had the wgt error page , neither of us got back in time to continue.

I will say i was playing this tactically,(wrongly or rightly) my ave distance to pin for the front 9 was 0ft. Although gir was 11% as par 3s are not taken into consideration on these holes.

ive been laying up and leaving a small wedge to every green and trusting my putting ability to help me to par (not very good lol)Playing this way means that the adp does not come into affect as it only uses shots in regulation.

We have resheduled our match again for thursday night.

Best wishes

stu

Ahhhhh... very cunning...! However, I'm not sure I can approve of that entirely.

While I commend your ingenious approach (or to be accurate, non-approach to each green!), I'm not really happy that it's in the spirit of the prize to miss every single green on purpose. I think to win the prize legitimately, you will need to record a real score for this stat for each round (in other words, getting a zero won't cut it, I'm afraid).

Sorry if this seems unfair, especially as we didn't spell out all the conditions in the fine print of the rules (gosh, running a tourney sure tests one's ability to deal with the unexpected!). Nonetheless, I did indicate some expectations in this post:

Corwyn:
    And, in the Ave. Distance to the Pin standings, OeJ has the clubhouse lead with an impressive 22.4 ft average. However, Hans, Colm, and Stu (Spino1) (the 3rd round leader in this category) all are well placed to challenge. Indeed, Stu, with nothing else at stake, has an interesting conundrum to consider in thinking about how to play his final round. If he can get 25.4 ft or less 22.6 ft [edit: new target to better Hans' total following his 4th round score] in the last round he could win. He could choose to play to deliberately miss greens except where he's got a good bet to get close, e.g. #7, #17, and perhaps other holes where he can choose a line to the pin where if you go long you run through, e.g. #9, #10, #16. It would be quite the feat to plan and execute such a strategy: will he try it?!

In light of that stated expectation, that you would need to post a score of 22.6 ft or less, I think it's fair to require that a real score is achieved, even if that only be for 1 green. That way, at least, you do have to employ some skill and risk to win the prize.

---------------------------------------------------------

If you feel the need to appeal on this, or if anyone else thinks I'm way off base, I'm open to hearing your arguments...

• alosso
    21,045 Posts
    Thu, Nov 1 2012 11:57 PM

Spot on, Corwyn!

This number is the average dist. of GIR shots on Par4s and Par5s, and w/out any GIR there won't be an entry in the leaderboard.

The only legitimate way IMHO to shoot "0" would be an approach drowned in regulation!

(note 1: Not sure if this would count in the WGT stats)

(note 2: I'm not the one making the rules but a proof of that by the GIR and putts scorecard might be nice)

(note 3: No HIO, because the Par3s are excluded...)

• SPINO1
    5,394 Posts
    Fri, Nov 2 2012 12:22 PM

Corwyn:
    I'm not really happy that it's in the spirit of the prize to miss every single green on purpose.

I probably diddn't make it clear i guess...its not that i was missing every single green on purpose i just think the risk far out weighs the reward on a lot of the approaches,ie its more likely that id save par with a 50-30 yrd shot from the fair way  rather than attempting a shot from 200-yrds or so that quite frankly with my meter could go any where ,Its just the way i opted to play...sure there was a certain thought that playing this way would guarantee the ADP prize But If you speak to Teewade he will back me when i say i could quite easily have finished the front 9 level par as the putts i missed were within dropping distance on most occasions.

I think iv'e been honest enough to detail what i played , i could quite easily do as suggested above and "go for" the easy ones and "run thru " a few other approaches , but i could do this deliberately anyway ???.

I havn't got the skills of Hans etc and i commend you on your great scores,There's a saying in golf "Look at the card"...doesn't matter how it goes in !

Anyway i'm happy to play round 4 again with anyone who wants to play.I havnt seen Tee on here for a couple of days......Just message me.

Cheers

stu

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:56 PM

Isn't it about time this thing was wrapped up, all this yap yap about adp is getting out of hand.

Finish it now, distribute the prizes, and be done with it, otherwise it is gonna leave a bad taste in the mouth.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Nov 2 2012 6:13 PM

oneeyedjohn:

Isn't it about time this thing was wrapped up, all this yap yap about adp is getting out of hand.

Finish it now, distribute the prizes, and be done with it, otherwise it is gonna leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Hi OeJ,

I wish we could have finished on time, but as outlined in posts above (see halfway down p31) we have (at least) 2 players in the tourney significantly affected by the huge storm on the East Coast of the U.S., including Cerino who is needed for the prize distribution. They've not yet been back online as far as I can tell. 

For the top 3 finishers, this delay really only affects Hans (who's very unlikely to be caught anyway by Colm (cmdking), who'd need to shoot 64 to tie), myself and Kurt (tied for 3rd and who are also unlikely to leapfrog Colm unless he shoots worse than 80). 

Hans has the GIR prize locked down, while Stu (Spino1) and perhaps Colm are the only ones who have a chance to wrest the Ave. Distance to the Pin prize from Hans... Hence all the yapyap about adp as right now it's the only thing than can hold our attention, and for me at least, it's quite intriguing whether and by what method Stu can pull it off.

I have to say I'm missing playing each week, and the anticipation and practice rounds. Yes, I'd like to wrap things up, but given the circumstances, we're stuck.

Here are the current standings (which are final for almost all players bar the exceptions above).

Note: we appear to have lost Gary (Woodoworkery) and Clive (billcliff) last week...

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Nov 2 2012 6:25 PM

Corwyn:
    I'm not really happy that it's in the spirit of the prize to miss every single green on purpose.

SPINO1:
    I probably diddn't make it clear i guess...its not that i was missing every single green on purpose i just think the risk far out weighs the reward on a lot of the approaches

I couldn't agree more! That's what makes this so interesting!

I must have misunderstood your intentions based on your earlier post.

SPINO1:
    I think iv'e been honest enough to detail what i played , i could quite easily do as suggested above and "go for" the easy ones and "run thru " a few other approaches , but i could do this deliberately anyway ???.

And, I think you should go for the 'easy ones' -- no problem with that! 

All I'm saying is that you need to record a real 'score' for Ave. Distance to the Pin for each round. i.e. that it's not OK to just end with '0'. [Unless of course, as Alosso points out, you manage to hole a GIR approach shot... but we don't know what the stats would show for that]

But I'm fine if the score you get is even for just 1 green hit. That's your strategic choice to make, weighing the best opportunities and the risks involved.

SPINO1:
    Anyway i'm happy to play round 4 again with anyone who wants to play.I havnt seen Tee on here for a couple of days......Just message me.

Cheers
    stu

I'm probably not available at a time that would work for you until Tuesday morning (Pacific time), so if you want to suggest times that are good for you, I'm sure someone could step forward as a marker.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Fri, Nov 2 2012 7:28 PM

Just a quick note. I'm back online but haven't really had the time to do much. I've read my way to the end of this thread and I would like to continue to give time for players to get the final rounds played if they can. The East Coast of the US was pretty devastated by the Hurricane and I know for a fact many have yet to get power restored. At some point in the near future I'll be making a decision as to the end of the Tourney and at that point prizes will be awarded. As many know we can't just hand over credits so gifting from the Pro Shop would be my primary way of awarding credit prizes unless I receive requests for another method from our award winners.

Again I thank everyone who took up the challenge and I'd like to either host or play in another Uneven Lies Tourney. Frankly I thought WGT would have offered up a Tourney of some sort by now with the uneven lies feature turned on in ranked rounds for those who dare.

• TeeWade
    1,216 Posts
    Fri, Nov 2 2012 7:45 PM

I've had a small family situation that has taken my time recently. Apologies if I've held up anyone. I'm available and ready tomorrow evening Stu if you have the time bud.

As far as Stu's game play, he has played nothing but a fair game. No shortcuts, no cheating, nor anything of the sort. He's a great guy, player and my newest friend. I feel badly for losing that first 9 scorecard. Another vanishing act lol. The last time we gave her a try, he disconnected on hole #6 and didn't make it back in the time allotted by WGT. I seen him pop back on and green and as I was writing him a message....POOF, I got disconnected and after trying for over 30 minutes and continuously getting the infamous WGT ERROR PAGE. I gave up on that particular evening. We'll get that game in come hell or high water (no pun intended) this weekend.

I once again apologize and look forward to getting this game in. It's been one of the toughest yet I've tried to get done in my time here lol. See ya soon Stu   :)

RSS