Forums

Help › Forums

'Tough-It-Out': The Trans-Atlantic Starter Clubs Uneven Open

Mon, Nov 12 2012 1:35 PM (333 replies)
  • Macduff10
    370 Posts
    Sat, Oct 27 2012 12:19 PM

I'd like to echo what has been said.....Great tournament, very well run.  Thank you Corwyn & Cerino.

• SPINO1
    5,394 Posts
    Sat, Oct 27 2012 3:33 PM

SPINO1 AND TEEWADE , GAME SHEDULED FOR SUNDAY.....

• cmdking
    39 Posts
    Sat, Oct 27 2012 9:45 PM

I won't be able to fit in a round for the Olympic leg of  a tournament I have greatly enjoyed being part of.  i wish I could but family commitments have to take priority.  A great crash course in uneven lie play, new connections with some great wgt players and my first stroke play tourney made this a more than worthwhile experience for me.

All thanks to Corwyn and Cerino for their fantastic efforts in making this tournament a success.

Finally, congratulations to Hans for a great display with the beginner clubs and a truly merited win.

Hope to see you all in a more events like this

Colm.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Oct 28 2012 7:49 AM

CerinoDevoti:
    Just a heads up to all the players. I live in the direct path of this upcoming hurricane on the US east coast in NJ. I'm pretty sure we're going to be losing electricity come Monday and beyond. I'll get myself back here as soon as the weather and conditions will allow. At that point we'll be giving out the awards. Hope not too many others are in the same situation.

Hey, Cerino, we'll be thinking of you, and wishing you and your family all the best of luck to come through this unscathed. You've had a lot of practice Toughing it Out the last few weeks, but I'm sure it's not quite the same!

I guess this puts a virtual golf game in its proper perspective... 

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Oct 28 2012 7:59 AM

Kurtsbuford:

Very fun game CD, my 2 double bogeys were the result of complete miss hits involving meter stutter which i should have been able to avoid.......no excuses the course is tough and to go out there blind  was very exciting for me.    Like visiting another planet on WGT, LOL.    I had a blast in this tournament...from game 1 with corwyn.......to st andys with the mighty duffer, and finishing up with CD.  It should be noted that i know CD had more on his mind than just golf with the storm coming into to his state of New Jersey.     His -1 back 9 proves what he can do out there.   Great efforts by all.    

if you need me to post my fairway and greens shots i have them, but CD knows I played by the rules.   Thanks, another well run tournament.....directors should be proud.

Thanks Kurt. It sure seems that CD had some tough luck this tourney, from the disconnects in round 1 when on a roll, to the overnight change in Uneven Lies behavior just before his round 2, and then with a lot else on his mind come round 4. 

I seem to remember you had a round with major discoes too. It's interesting how this game somehow replicates the kind of mental challenges the top players might have to endure to get through a major. I think we've seen that everyone has experienced some VEM, and some bad bounces, tough breaks, and it's been as much a mental test of putting that behind you and grinding on towards a decent score.

BTW: you and I have finished on the same number, +10, tied for 3rd. I had posted in the rules that ties would be resolved per WGT rules, which would be to give precedence to best scores for the last round, 9 holes etc. I think that's unnecessarily cruel after a 4 week tourney, and it makes much more sense to follow real-life golf tourney approach, of declaring equal scores a tie, and splitting prizes accordingly. So, tied for 3rd we are!

P.S. No need to post the additional screenshots. You're covered!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Oct 28 2012 8:03 AM

SPINO1:

Great! Thanks for letting us know the schedule, Stu...

... and I hope you've seen the message that you're very much in the running for the Ave. Distance to the Pin award. (We can't have Hans running away with every prize, after all!)

You would need to get 22.6 ft or less (see below). Hope you'll share your strategy and give us all a detailed report if you try for it!

Corwyn:
    And, in the Ave. Distance to the Pin standings, OeJ has the clubhouse lead with an impressive 22.4 ft average. However, Hans, Colm, and Stu (Spino1) (the 3rd round leader in this category) all are well placed to challenge. Indeed, Stu, with nothing else at stake, has an interesting conundrum to consider in thinking about how to play his final round. If he can get 25.4 ft or less 22.6 ft [edit: new target to better Hans' total following his 4th round score] in the last round he could win. He could choose to play to deliberately miss greens except where he's got a good bet to get close, e.g. #7, #17, and perhaps other holes where he can choose a line to the pin where if you go long you run through, e.g. #9, #10, #16. It would be quite the feat to plan and execute such a strategy: will he try it?!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Oct 28 2012 8:08 AM

cmdking:
    I won't be able to fit in a round for the Olympic leg of  a tournament I have greatly enjoyed being part of.  i wish I could but family commitments have to take priority.

Hi Colm,

We really can't have you pull out now, surely... !

I know you've had family come all the way from Ireland for this weekend, and that you were really hoping to get the round in with Hans before they arrived Thursday. I think everyone in the tourney would be very happy to see you manage to complete the tourney. I'd be happy to extend into this next week as long as you need. 

I myself could mark for you any morning Pacific Time, and I'm sure others could offer times to fit your schedule.

Just let us know what could work for you.

Thanks, Corwyn

• SPINO1
    5,394 Posts
    Mon, Oct 29 2012 3:09 PM

Corwyn:

SPINO1:

Great! Thanks for letting us know the schedule, Stu...

... and I hope you've seen the message that you're very much in the running for the Ave. Distance to the Pin award. (We can't have Hans running away with every prize, after all!)

You would need to get 22.6 ft or less (see below). Hope you'll share your strategy and give us all a detailed report if you try for it!

Corwyn:
    And, in the Ave. Distance to the Pin standings, OeJ has the clubhouse lead with an impressive 22.4 ft average. However, Hans, Colm, and Stu (Spino1) (the 3rd round leader in this category) all are well placed to challenge. Indeed, Stu, with nothing else at stake, has an interesting conundrum to consider in thinking about how to play his final round. If he can get 25.4 ft or less 22.6 ft [edit: new target to better Hans' total following his 4th round score] in the last round he could win. He could choose to play to deliberately miss greens except where he's got a good bet to get close, e.g. #7, #17, and perhaps other holes where he can choose a line to the pin where if you go long you run through, e.g. #9, #10, #16. It would be quite the feat to plan and execute such a strategy: will he try it?!

Hi Corwyn...

Unfortunately the beer got the better of me on Sunday,i promptly fell asleep at 6pm and diddn,t wake untill this morning lol.

Teewade and i played the front nine tonight but he had to leave early,he has saved all relevent cards n stats and we will resume tomorrow...hope this is ok.

stu

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Oct 29 2012 4:21 PM

SPINO1:
    Teewade and i played the front nine tonight but he had to leave early,he has saved all relevent cards n stats and we will resume tomorrow...hope this is ok.

Of course that's OK, Stu. Thanks for the update... 

... and I'm very curious to know, are you trying for the Ave Distance to the Pin prize, and if so, how are you doing so far?

RSS