Forums

Help › Forums

Chat with MisterWGT - 9/28 - 2pm PST

Tue, Oct 2 2012 7:13 AM (179 replies)
  • jaderoks
    571 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2012 11:53 AM

YankeeJim:
    It might be a good idea to make his very obvious to the new player, possibly when they sign up.. You don't know how many might not be sticking around to figure it out.

So true. If I didn't know anything about the maintenance needed to play this game,I would have gave up on it a long time ago. I do know enough to get this game working. My point was that the meter has never been "Smooth as butter"

No matter what I do, it will never be that smooth. Unless I played with the MAX balls...Then all of a sudden the meter is very smooth....Hmmmm

• PUHOLINO
    1,189 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2012 12:10 PM

WGTpizza:
    I can't stress enough how important proper maintenance is for playing on this platform without technical difficulties, so forgive me if I sound like a broken record. This maintenance is the caveat for offering the freedom and flexibility of a flash-based browser game

Could be, although my experiences are a bit different. I've played the game on a number of different machines (always with IE) and the only 2 with perfect smoothness (not a single meter jump in 6 months) were 2 cluttered old PC's, infested with who knows what and no maintenance done since they were bought 6 or 7 years ago. But they were the only 2 running on windows XP. The OS seems to make a world of difference. Tried Vista, it sucked, tried W7, better, but nowhere near those 2 run down filthy PC's. From what I heard it's a fact that flash has a delay with Vista and W7, might have something to do with all that. Maybe that's why people who use them must try different browsers, clear caches, flash versions, etc, while all you need to do with an old XP operated PC is to turn it on. If you don't believe this, just try and find 1 and play the game. Just be careful, if (like me) you don't use the full screen option. the gameclient window opens in a different size on different OS's, Vista has the largest, W7 the smallest and XP is in between. This means the break severity on greens is shown in different speeds (different size game). I play most my rounds on an PC with XP, but when I play from my home laptop (W7) I need to putt from memory, cause the break looks faster than it is, lol.

PU

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2012 2:05 PM

jaderoks:

TBE, I have read some complaints from you about the meter as well. Like I said, I'm not complaining. It's usually pretty good.

Trying to stay Classy

yupps I can confirm I've had hell meters in the past mate and moaned heavily :)

luckily it seems to be good for now.

tbe

• ycfc1992
    1,143 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2012 2:20 PM

MISTER WGT GREAT GAME ENGLAND TROUSERS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• jaderoks
    571 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2012 2:24 PM

thebigeasy707:

yupps I can confirm I've had hell meters in the past mate and moaned heavily :)

luckily it seems to be good for now.

LOL, Yes, mine seems to be ok as well. I have to agree with PUHOLINO though. I play this game on 2 different PC's at home. The one with XP plays smoother than the one with WIN7. The PC with XP is an older work horse to boot. I just use the other PC sometimes because I'm using Skype on it.

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2012 2:31 PM

WGTpizza:

alosso:
    "What can Nation members expect from WGT in the next future, say, in 2012?"

Well, I'm not sure how to answer this, seeing as 2012 is 3 months from ending  =P

<snip>

You find me flabbergasted!

So, after a putting challenge in July and a "spend 25 $, get Max balls" deal in August, Nation's value box seems to be empty for this year.

Ok, my expectations may have been exaggerated after three tournaments, one being multi-round, in May and June. A tourney following every now and then, perhaps a "Nation Monthly", would have been gr8ly appreciated.

Well, time passes too quickly, this year, the "Nation" year, was over in August, a bit - ehm - surprisingly for me. And I can't even question you seriousness because you are, certainly.

Looking forward to WGT's "long term plans"! Alas, please tell your management that I won't hold my breath.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2012 2:44 PM

jaderoks:
     I play this game on 2 different PC's at home. The one with XP plays smoother than the one with WIN7. The PC with XP is an older work horse to boot. I just use the other PC sometimes because I'm using Skype on it.

my old laptop with xp running plays smoother too...so there's something with XP that runs the game smoother.

tbe

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2012 3:09 PM

Quote from Pizza:

That being said, many players are able to play WGT Golf with little or no technical difficulties. This tells us that it is possible for everyone to experience the same.

This to me sounds like you are not bothered then to find a fix. I do all the maintenance i can to run this game as good as i can, but i still pull my hair out with that %^&$%$%&**$# meter at the best of times. Why not develop a system that all players could come on, and just play without the hassle of sitting over a PC for ages running and cleaning program's etc? Please tell me you are doing this.

• WGTpizza
    1,656 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2012 3:37 PM

TWOMINUSONE:
    This to me sounds like you are not bothered then to find a fix

Yes, I suppose if you look at that sentence alone, one could come to that opinion. Let's take another look at what I actually typed on page 16 of this thread:

WGTpizza:
    We are constantly looking for new ways to improve performance of WGT Golf from our end. That being said, many players are able to play WGT Golf with little or no technical difficulties. This tells us that it is possible for everyone to experience the same.

So if that full-context post makes you think that we are not looking for a fix, so be it. However, I would be remiss if I didn't inform you that it couldn't be farther from the truth.

TWOMINUSONE:
    Why not develop a system that all players could come on, and just play without the hassle of sitting over a PC for ages running and cleaning program's etc?

You mean a different platform entirely? Good news, TWOMINUSONE, we launched WGT Mobile recently! You can now play WGT without sitting at a PC.

What we did by originally creating WGT as a browser and flash based game, was give everyone the freedom to log on to their game from any PC within seconds. Wherever you go, if you have an internet connection and a PC (and of course minimum system requirements), you are ready to play WGT. However, this freedom comes with a caveat, which I have previously explained.

We can not control the machine you play WGT on. Your machine's health is not a part of WGT - we only produce a game that is available through the wonders of the internet. The way that your machine interprets the game is not within our control.

However, there are certain maintenance techniques that you can perform to ensure that your machine continues to run our game in a difficulty-free manner. Failure to perform proper maintenance may result in technical difficulties. This is not a blanket statement in order to free WGT of any liability. In fact, WGT has been (and probably will be in the future)responsible for service interruptions. These interruptions are scarce, and unavoidable. This is why we are focusing on what the player can do to improve how the game runs for them.

The eternal battle between Technical Difficulties and Player Maintenance continues! Let me know if you have any further questions :)

Stay classy,

-WGTpizza

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2012 3:47 PM

To be honest with you pizza, i would rather walk blind folded through a minefield than play WGT on a mobile. As stated myself, i do all the maintenance i can to try and improve my game on my end. Lets hope that you guys get there in the end, and come up with something that will enable all of us to enjoy a game that doesnt drive us mad, lol. New and old alike. Cheers.

RSS