Help › Forums

Practicing specific holes

rated by 0 users
Sat, May 22 2010 1:03 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2010 3:14 AM

So far the practice options on a course are a whole 9 or 18 or a random 3. It would be nice to be able to go to one specific hole of the course to practice on.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2010 10:44 AM

zagraniczniak:

So far the practice options on a course are a whole 9 or 18 or a random 3. It would be nice to be able to go to one specific hole of the course to practice on.

No golf course I know of has a "practice hole" that duplicates any hole on their course. Practice areas are for the golfer to work on timing and stroke, not to hone their game to perfection on a specific hole on the course. 

• tomcat1962
    2 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2010 12:16 PM

AlaCowboy:

zagraniczniak:

No golf course I know of has a "practice hole" that duplicates any hole on their course. Practice areas are for the golfer to work on timing and stroke, not to hone their game to perfection on a specific hole on the course. 

Thats true it would make it almost to easy

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2010 2:26 PM

I agree with everyone but the original poster.

For example, my game, in CttH or Stroke Play, is significantly better on the first few holes of each course than the last ones. This is because I often play those much more than the others, especially on CttH. 

It's all about the time you spend, and that would be cheap. 

• TarheelsRule
    5,490 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2010 3:07 PM

If you had practice on specific holes, the scoring would really go down.  Getting to play a hole 9 times in the same amount of time you play the entire nine would help you figure out all the specifics about that hole, I can see it as a real advantage on St Andrews.  However since everyone would have the same advantage I guess it would be fair to all.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Thu, May 20 2010 1:29 AM

Well, I can sense a groundswell of support for this idea from the community.

(Cavs in fact rule, by the way.)

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Thu, May 20 2010 3:27 PM

zagraniczniak:

Well, I can sense a groundswell of support for this idea from the community.

(Cavs in fact rule, by the way.)

There is a generic driving range and maybe a practice green in the works. But to be able to practice specific holes on each course would result in extremely unrealistic scores (even more so that the top Masters now post).

Why, I would likely get my average down below ... uh ... 71.

• Neandrathal
    32 Posts
    Thu, May 20 2010 3:57 PM

A driving range would be nice,as would a practice green.An average under 80 would be nice,as well               

...N...

• bearpresser
    21 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 8:46 PM

This is a great idea!  I'm having a heck of a time getting my chipping techniques consistent.  I can spend a week in some of the sand traps in Scotland! A driving range and a practice green would be ideal additions.  Ditto on the 80 avg.    Bear

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Sat, May 22 2010 6:31 AM

This is actually an old topic LOL

WGT intentionally keeps it the way it is because "on a real golf course you do not have that option."  There is an OLD Thread someplace about this that predates the existence of Our Beloved WGTniv (though he WAS here in another "form" I think) - but I think WGTAlex or WGTAdmin had provided the response I indicated above.  (from maybe a year ago?  Guessing)

This would would be "too perfect" if you could continually practice and learn to perfectly "engineer" the 2nd shot on Bethpage # 15 - or other nasty spots we all are familiar with.

The only way to "practice" is through repeated Playing of full rounds.  In the end your overall game improves - not just one shot here and one shot there.

Regards, AtlantaCoaster

• PAGES
RSS