Forums

Help › Forums

Flop Shots

Tue, Aug 22 2023 5:42 AM (25 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Aug 4 2012 5:36 AM

PDDispatcher:
    'm guessing, but the lie has to be 5-15% for it to work, right?

Not really but the distance away from the wall of the bunker is key. A lot of times if you're too far away you don't get up and over.  The punch is also a good sand shot.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Sat, Aug 4 2012 6:39 AM

^ agreed

But where the heck go ya put the dot on a pinch ?\

Edit :Oh FFS, ^ do and punch

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Aug 4 2012 3:26 PM

YankeeJim:

PDDispatcher:
    'm guessing, but the lie has to be 5-15% for it to work, right?

Not really but the distance away from the wall of the bunker is key. A lot of times if you're too far away you don't get up and over.  The punch is also a good sand shot.

Agree too

It's dangerous to hit a flop out of bunkers. If you do, then I would suggest Flopping out on Beth Only. The other courses are a bit dangerous.

Set up a practice game to test this shot out.   Hit in bunker, flop out, hit back in (same hole) and flop out.   Allowed 10 shots and doesn't affect Ave.

Jim, you will have to tell us about the punch shot in the bunker :)

-Roger

• PDDispatcher
    59 Posts
    Sat, Aug 4 2012 3:36 PM

I just got kinda intrigued by the idea of a punch shot out of the bunker.  I may have to go do a bit of practing and see what works and what doesn't.  I'll take notes and tell you what happens.  Always someone around here with an interesting idea.  I like that!

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sat, Aug 4 2012 3:57 PM

PDDispatcher:

I just got kinda intrigued by the idea of a punch shot out of the bunker.  I may have to go do a bit of practing and see what works and what doesn't.  I'll take notes and tell you what happens.  Always someone around here with an interesting idea.  I like that!

I never used the punch out of bunkers until I saw BolloxinBruges do it in one of his videos, So i started trying it. For me it seems to works best for bunker shots over 30 yards. But with practice it might work well for shorter shots too. 

• PDDispatcher
    59 Posts
    Sat, Aug 4 2012 4:36 PM

Ok, just played a tournament at St Georges with severly heavy wind,   I don't have to worry about a prize but we won't go into that!  ( Damn thing made me two putt TWICE from 5 ft and those are real hard Doubles to swallow), but on #12 with 30 mph winds, I found two of those English Caverns.  Used the Punch trick once and the Flop once.  Ended up with a par.  Not the most spectular trip down the fairway, but the results turned out pretty good. 

I love it, another new trick to try when it's possible.  I appreciate all the input from everyone. And for the guys who always are asking how can I use draw or a good slice, this is a great place to try it out.  Man, I cut one in with the wind blowing at 29 mph.  7 iron from 145 and stuck it next to the pin!  I actually was aiming at the field next to the green, and boy did she ever curve !!!

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Aug 4 2012 5:39 PM

This is a flop shot I had yesterday.   10yds from pin in 40/50 rough. I hit about 17ydrs using the 20yrd(flop scale) 64 Cle Wedge and L71 Nike. Very simular at what the OP was talking about.

It didn't go in, I should have hit it about 18yrd on the scale and aimed it a little better, but you get the general idea that it can be done at short range.

I must say too, Everybody does things in a different ways, If your happy with what type of shot your playing then that's fine :)

Flop

Cheers

Roger

Edit....   I used Full Backspin.

• marks84
    184 Posts
    Sat, Aug 4 2012 7:50 PM

As others have said, there are 2 ways to hit the flop. Personally, unless I have a STRONG right to left wind, I prefer to miss left of the ding to cause the ball to fly at the hole. I love using the flop (in all honesty I probably OVERUSE it since it is my go to shot inside 35 yards, but since I also have over 175 birdies or better doing it.... ain't gonna stop). Like everything else in this game, it is a matter of what works for you.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Sun, Aug 5 2012 2:26 AM

As Roger, JIm & others have mentioned, flop is very precise shot to land close to the hole, I always try to ding after moving my aim in reverse view.....although I tend to succeed landing close to the hole it is still seldom IN the hole, because the ball lands & stops immediately (in most of my flops).

Landing very close is great to save pars or make birds on par 5 but lately I'm starting to pitch or chip ...with FULL BACK SPIN, which means, the balls do not spot completely but it roles softly forwards with more chance to get in the hole. As this level we do not need to save pars, we need those important birds.

Eric 

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Mon, Aug 6 2012 3:35 PM

Ur right Lol, i use the hit the left line method which allows a wee bit more roll on landing, more chance of holing out.

Dinging and moving aim marker looks good, and i use this when the green is uneven.

RSS