Help › Forums

Playing irons on the green

rated by 0 users
Fri, Apr 23 2010 1:45 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • micklen
    221 Posts
    Thu, Apr 22 2010 2:45 PM

At Annies today I hit a bit offline with a HUGE wind leaving me on the green but 90 yards away with a bunker in between

Now IRL you are allowed to play an iron shot off the green if you are impeded and unable to putt directly.  However when I played my wedge shot, although hit well, it went nowhere.  Is this bad planning by WGT or was I just unlucky.  I think I remember something very similar happening just after I started here.  Anyone else tried to play an iron off the green and been penalized???  If so I think WGT need to look into this

Mick

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Apr 22 2010 3:00 PM

I used to give it a go long ago...no rewards drove me away from the notion. 

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Thu, Apr 22 2010 7:02 PM

Hey Mick,

Programming prohibits that one.  Also prohibits hitting driver from the fairway which I can do quite well IRL.  They let you hit driver off the turf in Bali Hai CTTH but not in stroke play so I know the capabilities are there.

You also can't mix and match irons in your bag other than wedges.  Touted as the most realistic golf game around.  Kinda makes you wonder huh?

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Apr 22 2010 7:29 PM

SweetiePie:
    I used to give it a go long ago...

I arrived here about 3 months before Jake. There  was a time when you could chip, flop pitch & punch while on the dance floor. At that same time window, you could not hit the driver off the deck at Bali Hai. Many  changes have come forward.

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2010 1:27 AM

jakestanfill7:

Hey Mick,

Programming prohibits that one.  Also prohibits hitting driver from the fairway which I can do quite well IRL.  They let you hit driver off the turf in Bali Hai CTTH but not in stroke play so I know the capabilities are there.

You also can't mix and match irons in your bag other than wedges.  Touted as the most realistic golf game around.  Kinda makes you wonder huh?

Yeah I think they really need to look in to that as if they are going to keep their true to life model you should be able to hit iron off the greens and drive off the fairway.  I think it would be a big job to change the clubs but it would be nice to be able to choose driver to 7 wood and 1i to PW and then a selection of wedges in ANY combination

Hi SP.  So if they used to allow you to play irons off the green I wonder what made them take it away.  It's not as if it's a big cheat thing I would have thought and it's perfectly allowable IRL and at Annies it is often needed.  Please have a think about that one WGT

Mick

• shawlandsbear
    26 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2010 1:37 AM

Annies !

What is this nonsense ?

• Killjoy1
    27 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2010 2:30 AM
    Chipping from Putting Greens Rule 17 The hole was located at the very back of the three-tiered green and Mickelson clearly felt that he had a greater opportunity to get the ball close with his wedge than with the putter. In playing the stroke, he extracted quite a large divot from the green, but managed to get the ball up to the top tier. There is nothing in the Rules of Golf which requires a player to use his putter when the ball lies on the green, although clearly this happens in the vast majority of cases and there is little doubt that greenkeepers around the world will hope that this practice continues. However, there are occasions in the most important of tournaments when players have a legitimate reason to risk taking a divot from the putting surface in an attempt to achieve the best result from their stroke. The greens at The Old Course are of such a nature that a player may be faced with a stroke where it is impossible to get near to the hole with a putter – the shot may simply be too long to play with a putter, but there are occasions where a bunker may interfere directly on the line. Although seven of the greens serve as greens for two holes, the entire green is considered to be the green of the hole being played, even when a player's ball comes to rest on a part of the green which is clearly supposed to be for the adjacent hole. Jack Nicklaus and Corey Pavin are just two players who have adopted to chip from the hallowed turf of Old Course greens at recent St Andrews Opens. From a Rules perspective, the important thing to remember, which was actually forgotten in both the Nicklaus and Pavin cases, is that, regardless of the club being used, the stroke is still being played from the putting green and, therefore, it is necessary to have the flagstick attended or removed. If the ball were to strike the flagstick in the hole, the penalty would be two strokes in stroke play or loss of hole in match play. Fortunately for Nicklaus and Pavin they did not strike the flagstick and, therefore, no penalty was incurred. Clearly it is not recommended practice for players to use clubs other than putters from the green due to the damage that can be caused. However, if a player strikes his ball onto a green of a hole other than that of the hole he is playing, i.e. a wrong putting green, it is prohibited to play that ball as it lies with any club. In such circumstances, the player must take relief by establishing the nearest point of relief off the green not nearer to the hole and drop within one club-length of that spot. Relief is only available when the ball is on the wrong green. A player standing on a wrong putting green to play a ball lying off the green would simply play the ball as it lies.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2010 5:05 AM

jakestanfill7:
    Also prohibits hitting driver from the fairway which I can do quite well IRL.  They let you hit driver off the turf in Bali Hai CTTH but not in stroke play so I know the capabilities are there.

Punch it-rolls forever and wind doesn't push it around. 

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2010 7:44 AM

shawlandsbear:

Annies !

What is this nonsense ?

Whoops,  Apologies,  Being a little flippant  Bad habit

About this playing off the green.  What a superb and accurate post Killjoy and a very interesting read

I have had another look at this.  I first though it hit the ball about 25% of it's normal distance.  However I now think it's nearer 33%.  That is with my 64 hitting it normally with full backspin

About right you think????

Mick

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2010 10:29 AM

micklen:
    About right you think????

I think you'd better run. I just saw the greenskeeper heading back to the green you use for practice with a shotgun!!    :-D

• PAGES
RSS