Help › Forums

HITTING OUT OF DEEP ROUGH

rated by 0 users
Fri, Apr 9 2010 6:32 AM (3 replies)
  • JAMESBALDINI
    266 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 6:54 PM

HI

WHAT CLUB SHOULD I USE WHEN I AM A FEW FEET OF THE GREEN BUT IN DEEP ROUGH THE CLUB I AM USING JUST ADVANCES THE BALL A FEW FEET.THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.SOMETIMES THE BALL DOESNT MOVE AT ALL

JAMES

• jcs89
    172 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 7:36 PM

The number one recomendation is to not use the chip shot.  Pitch is ok as long as there is more green between you and the pin than there is rough.  If I am hitting from 40-50 rough near the green, i usually use a pitch shot.  Let's say you are 20 yds from the pin....you will need to add about 2 yds extra from what the shot shows.  A 30-40 lie is about dead on what the pitch distances shows, and from a perfect lie, subtract around 5 yds.  For a more detailed explanation, see the pitch and chip guide in the "game tips" section of the forum.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 9 2010 6:08 AM

jcs89:
    The number one recomendation is to not use the chip shot.

I disagree. Chip shots hit less than 50% will always do this but play them so the first bounce is on the green and you can play them like putters. Where you aren't close enough to do this go to the flop shot.

Chipping has a bad rep because players try to divide the scale up to get the lower yardage of the club. A chip for 18 yards doesn't mean a 50% swing will get you 9-it will get you a flub. You can't baby greenside rough shots-you need to take a strong swing as the rough is going to grab the club. Don't give up on the chip-you'll sink more of those than you would by pitching. Just don't try chipping from unrealistic lies, like 20 yards out in 40-50 rough.

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Fri, Apr 9 2010 6:32 AM

It's a very difficult question as there are so many ways of doing this and most of the advice you get will be perfectly correct

I myself use a 64 wedge and hit it on full as that is my way and I trust it as the 64 is very good at part shots

But practice, practice, practice and find the method that suits YOU and you are confident with

BTW as far as ANY board etiquette is concerned please don't use capitals exclusively as it is considered rude or that you are shouting

Mick

RSS