Help › Forums

Chipping

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 4 2010 11:23 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • UncleBilly
    1 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 9:37 PM

What's the point of having a chip shot if it only goes two inches? More than once I have hit a chip shot from the fringe or light rough and it goes a foot or less. I hit it just about full power and dead center on the swing meter, yet it goes no where. This is really meesing up my game as I have all but taken this shot out of my game. Can some one please help me?

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 10:09 PM

Hi Billy,

Take a look at this helpful guide on Chips & Pitches written by one of our members.  It's a great resource and many players have said it has helped them out.

Good Luck =)

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 8:15 PM

UncleBilly:
    I hit it just about full power and dead center on the swing meter, yet it goes no where.

Chip shots are my favorite shots. I get more result than putting. But I witnessed some weird results with the chip shot me too, but never when using the FULL swing. Remember that unlike the putting, 1/4 of a swing doesn't necessarily mean 1/4 of the distance! Just like in real golf.

I prefer swinging at least 80% whenever possible. I chose the club with a full swing that matches the most closely the distance I have to cover.

...and don't forget to remove the flagstick when chipping!!

Have a nice golf day! ;-)

Rob

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 8:28 PM

Practice, practice, practice. May have to occasionally play different shots. Just play around with it ;)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 5:37 AM

SystemCrash:

Does this help? I don't know if it keeps the ball out of the hole or keeps it from running past. I've seen chips drop with it in and hit it and not drop.

What is the rule about the caddy tending the pin IRL?

• SWoods
    62 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 5:55 AM

YankeeJim:

SystemCrash:

Does this help? I don't know if it keeps the ball out of the hole or keeps it from running past. I've seen chips drop with it in and hit it and not drop.

What is the rule about the caddy tending the pin IRL?

Here is my understanding which may not be 100% accurate. 

When on the green, you have to remove the pin. In real life, the caddy or your buddy can tend it for you if you are very far away from the hole and are not being able to see the hole properly. In those situations, they will pull out the pin as soon as you putt. In other words, the pin will not be in when the ball comes close to the hole. In WGT, the default is tending. There is a translucent flag when we putt. But that is never really present when the ball drops in. 

When off the green, the player has a choice to keep the pin in or take it out. In real life, most pros choose to keep it in. The advantage is that if you hit too fast and hit the pin, the ball typically stops in gimme distance. The disadvantage is that a ball hit at the correct speed has more probability of dropping in without a pin than with it. So if you are very close and think you can hole the chip or pitch, remove the pin. If you are far away and your goal is to get close, keep the pin in. Just a rule of thumb.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 6:28 AM

Thanks, SW-that is what I was looking for and am going to start pulling the pin on shots I think might drop.  :-)

• NormH3
    214 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 6:33 AM

YankeeJim:

Thanks, SW-that is what I was looking for and am going to start pulling the pin on shots I think might drop.  :-)

I have started doing this as well. I have never had one drop with the flag in. Even on slower rolls.

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 7:36 AM

NormH3:
    I have never had one drop with the flag in. Even on slower rolls.

I don't know what is in real life but in this game the flagstick seems to work against me when chipping. Me too I recall one time I made a chip shot from the fringe and the ball hardly made it to hole, but it did ...and bounced back 3 inches!

When I chip within 15 YDS, I remove it. And so far it paid off. But everyone can experience it differently.

But just like SWoods said: "If you are far away and your goal is to get close, keep the pin in."

Rob

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 8:37 AM

Take it out.  The ball reflects off it even with slower speeds.  If you have a really speedy shot maybe keep it on to stop the ball, but a shot on center will hit the back of the cup and slow it down as well.  If you are trying to hole it, have the whole hole available for it to go into, a pin is only interference.

• PAGES
RSS