Forums

Help › Forums

St. Andrews #7 - OB in the Middle of the Left Fairway

rated by 0 users
Mon, Oct 4 2010 10:27 PM (8 replies)
  • Ricksterious
    3 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 4:05 PM

I am getting a little annoyed going OB in the middle of the left fairway on the 7th at St. Andy's. I have two replays on my page if someone (programmers) wants to view and fix.

Thanks,

Ricksterious

• Deftil
    3 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 4:33 PM
    Had problems with the same fairway on this hole yesterday.
  • ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 5:06 PM

Hey Rick,  I just viewed your replay.  You are driving into the adjoining holes fairway, not the Fairway for #7.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 6:12 PM

Hi fellas,

ghettocop is correct.  That section of fairway is part of the 12th hole and that's why you're being declared OB.  We do have allowance for hitting shots over there, but the hole mini-map was drawn a bit too big on that left side.  Below is the mini-map for hole #7 and I've attempted to draw the approximate line of out of bounds in white, but please keep in mind that's probably not exact.  We will need to correct the mini-map graphic.

• Ricksterious
    3 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 7:15 PM

This helps a lot. It makes it risk/reward shot to stick it between the OB and the rough along the right side of that fairway. Even the rough there is better than the fescue before the primary landing area.

• JackTaylor
    225 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 8:02 PM

I wonder if they could fix the down the middle shot. I cant make the fairway at pro level unless wind is behind me. ty

• Deftil
    3 Posts
    Thu, Mar 25 2010 9:07 AM

Ah, well now I know.

Playing with starter clubs and balls it's virtually impossible to make it to the center fairway without the aid of a tornado so one feels like they are playing it safe by going for the left fairway.

Redoing the map will help future players that don't know about this, and help us as well so we will have a better idea of how much of that left fairway we have to work with when we go for it.

Thanks.

• balifid
    3 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 2:44 AM

JackTaylor:

I wonder if they could fix the down the middle shot. I cant make the fairway at pro level unless wind is behind me. ty

I've never made the fairway on that hole in about 10 times playing it.  Not even with a full-meter, dead-center drive from the front tees with a 20 mph wind directly behind me.  It's really annoying, and because of this I probably average 5 strokes on this hole.

On the other hand, I don't want them to modify the hole from the real-life version just because of this.

Perhaps a solution would be to extend the OB line further back on the left fairway, or even behind the fairway off-screen to the right (I actually went for that one once before I realized where the OB lines are drawn).  I realize this means WGT would have to spend time and money (!) to go out there and take a few hundred more photos, but otherwise it is a really artificial way of making the course harder for all the little guys who can't yet afford a 260 yard driver.

• Imbroglio
    26 Posts
    Mon, Oct 4 2010 10:27 PM

Or perhaps an even better solution would be to adjust the distances the clubs hit the ball to something slightly to what people actually hit these clubs!  A metal-headed driver that averages 225 off a tee?

I started playing golf (real golf) in 1978, and even with a cheap department store driver with a small WOOD head and and a steel shaft I could routinely hit the ball pretty easily 250-260 off the tee.   What would a reasonably fit young man starting out be able to hit a modern golf ball today, with metal heads the size of a cantalope on the end of a light, graphite shaft? 

The answer is....a helluva lot further than 225 yards...and that would solve your carry problem on #7 with no questions asked.

Imbroglio

RSS