Help › Forums

Mentorship

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 22 2010 8:52 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 5:13 PM

Uh VanHalen, I think you have your uphills and downhills backwards.  That'll end your "Mentor" career.  :)

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 5:21 PM

It is somewhat difficult for a master to coach a newbie with starter clubs as the shots react much differently with that equipment.  I do routinely help new masters anyway I can by recommending equipment, advice on short game, taking advantage of punch wedges, and how to make spin work for you.

• SWoods
    62 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 6:28 PM

Hi Jake, 

I am not exactly a newbie but would appreciate your tips on punch wedges and spin. If there are tips that you can easily share, please do. 

Thanks!

-S

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 7:44 PM

SWoods, not to speak for Jake, but punch wedges are my best friend.  Do you have a 10yd plus gap in your full shot wedges?  If so, punches can really help.  Not sure about you but before punch shot know how, I struggled on any shot that was not a 100% full swing (or 97% and above).  I always got the yardages wrong.  Enter the punch shot.  My 64 deg wedge goes 60yds with full swing, but what do you do when you have 47yd shot?  Guesstimate where to hit on meter?  Switch to punch shot, it goes 49yds, has great spin and nice trajectory.  Try it in practice.  Instead of hitting 75% clubs, try hitting punch shots closer to full swing, your distances will be more accurate.

My 60deg goes 85 yds, thats a 25yd gap between 64deg and 60 deg.  Well punch 60deg goes 71 yds.  So now I can hit full shots from 49 yds to 60 yards to 71yds.  My 54deg wedge does a 80yd punch shot, so add that.  49yds, 60yds, 71yds, 80yds, 85yds.  5 shots distances under 90yds that I can hit closer to full swings at.  Makes my life easier.

• SWoods
    62 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 7:54 PM

That's great to know. I will def try them out.

The way I adjust which is ofcourse much more cumbersome but can also work is by keeping notes. Whenever I play the game, I keep the exact same other windows open on the left side of my playing window. Outlook and another chrome with WGT as the active page. I have played enough now to know several distances -- Like when using my 100 wedge, when I take my swing back to "i" of the "Microsoft" on the outlook window, it always goes 93 +/- 1 with full bs. And I keep adding to the notes. Has been quite helpful. 

The punch wedges also seems like a great option. Thank you very much for sharing.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 8:52 PM

lol DMM,

I was talking, of course, about WGT putting, NOT real golf....

Of course, I haven't given either THIS amount of scrutiny, but I definitely see more break on uphill putts here on WGT than I do on downhill ones - fwiw

• PAGES
RSS