Help › Forums

Mentorship

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 22 2010 8:52 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • cf51802
    2 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 5:26 AM

How about master players mentoring new players so as to make the WGT experience that much better :)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 9:51 AM

It happens all the time, cf. I would be happy to help but there's a couple of things you need to do first, if you haven't already. Read the Putting Tips and the Pitch and Chip Tips over there-----------> under the FAQs. Both primers were written by very good players here and they will get you headed in the right direction. Then, when you hook up with a master, or a pro for that matter, you will know what you need to ask.

The key is asking. I like to help but only if asked first. GL

• SWoods
    62 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 10:10 AM

Good idea. 

As mentioned, read the tips and then whenever you play with a master of pro, ask them if they are willing to share their tips. I think each one of us has developed our unique calculations for the short game. You may want to try them advise you on shots where you do not know very well what needs to be done. 

• aceydeucey
    504 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 11:09 AM
    Hey YankeeJim, I wonder if you can help here? Putting: what is the distance of the grid lines? I am only guessing at the amount of break to allow on my putts. It would help to know the distance between the grid lines. Can you help?
  • lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 11:17 AM

Hy Ace ... I haven't seen it in any of the WGT documents but over the past year several of the better players on the site have told me each box = 4 ft and been working fine for me

If anyone has any better info .. I'd love to know it also.

• aceydeucey
    504 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 11:25 AM

Thanks for replying..

4 feet, uh?  I will try that next time.  It'll come in handy at St. Andrews...lol!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 12:01 PM

Ace-I don't know that answer, if there is one. I use the avatar move to get the distance exact but as for the break it's definitely a feel thing. I know of no exact method of computing that break but what I can help you with is guesstimating where to start. 

You need to recognize there are different speeds for those dots. The faster they go the sharper the break. I break it down to three speeds-fast, no so fast and slow. For fast moving dots, in reverse view, I will aim 1 whole grid line away, on the side of the break at the cup and see what happens. Using that 1st grid line will give you a reference point to work from. On not so fast moving dots maybe you start with an aim only 1/2 of a grid square and on slow maybe 1/4. That's where you develop the "feel" thing. You see enough putts and after a while you just know when it doesn't look right. If you consistently find yourself breaking early and missing low either speed up the putt (speed overcomes break) or increase your aim.

Some players like to leave the aim alone and miss on purpose to steer the putt. This works pretty good-I use it sometimes-but I caution you, developing a habit like that now is hard to break later when you really need to be accurate, like at the master level.

Lastly, when you are looking at a break remember that if you miss on the high side or ding it you have a chance for the putt to go in. If you miss on the lower side forget it-it will never go in. 

Set up a practice round at BPB with the different speeds. The first three holes there will get you about 20+ putts on varying lies and then you can start over. The key is doing it a lot. GL

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 1:14 PM

Another option for you besides having a mentor, which I think most the masters on here are very helpful, join the leagues, and the tours.  You will often play up, maybe not compete well, but at least get more exposure to the better players.

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 1:15 PM

aceydeucey:
    4 feet, uh?  I will try that next time.  It'll come in handy at St. Andrews...lol!

In fact I think it's 4 square feet (2x2ft). If you divide the distance from the hole by the number of lines that cross, it gives you 2.

Rob

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 4:50 PM

aceydeucey:
    Hey YankeeJim, I wonder if you can help here? Putting: what is the distance of the grid lines? I am only guessing at the amount of break to allow on my putts. It would help to know the distance between the grid lines. Can you help?

Important to remember also that uphill putts will break more than downhill putts, and ball speed matters also. break earl in the putt will be negated some due to ball speed, while breaks near the end of the putt will break more, as the ball slows.

• PAGES
RSS