Help › Forums

Re: Turned Pro too soon?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Feb 17 2010 10:25 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2010 4:50 PM

Hey Bob.  The stuff you bought isnt too bad, your scores though, like Joey mentions you are definitely missing some key basic things. 

http://wgt.com/forums/t/559.aspx   good putting guide

http://wgt.com/forums/p/7840/49253.aspx   pitching and chipping

And of course, practice and more practice. 

This isnt a game anyone walks into and masters it in a week, thank god.  That would bore the sh*t out of almost all of us here, just like if real golf was too easy who would bother? 

There are lots of little tricks to learn here and the more you learn, the more you realize how realistic the game is, and no others compare in that regard.   As a golfer, I wouldnt dream of going anywhere else to play and yes I tried plenty others past and present. 

Happy hitting. 

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2010 5:29 PM
    I turned pro in 1 day, and my scores still got better. If you know the fundamentals of golf this game can be easy to play and get better at. You should be noticing or at least paying attention to green speeds, it tells you if a hole is above or below your feet, and things like backspin can affect trajectory of shots. Keep at it, golf takes time, so does this game. You dont have to buy better equipment if you dont want to but it certainly helps when you are playing from a longer set of tees. You should have 150 credits for making pro, keep practising and choose a good match up for you in match play challenges or a nice ready go and you can double that. Put $5 bucks in and you got a driver, which many will say is really all you need to just play it similar to when you were an amateur.
  • ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2010 8:35 PM

Thanks for all of the replies fella's.  I am slowly getting it.  I'm right around 1 or 2 over now and shot even once or twice.  I think I was just SHOCKED when I went from amateur to pro and everything was drastically different.  I did pony up 25 bucks to get equipment and even a new pair of pants!  There was yet another learning curve with the new equipment as well, but it has improved things greatly.  Now if I can just train my inconsistent mouse finger.  Thanks again for the help.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Feb 16 2010 10:35 PM

There are different driving targets, different approach yardage values, different wind directions and wind speeds, different rough difficulty, different green speed and break, and different choices, ie full, punch, pitch, flop, chip or putt. If one doesn't know these basic shot choices and when to use them with proper power, there is not a single club in the Pro Shop that can help.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Feb 17 2010 10:09 AM

ghettocop1:
    I did pony up 25 bucks to get equipment and even a new pair of pants!  /.../  Now if I can just train my inconsistent mouse finger.
    Glad to hear you're making progress.. although I don't know if the pants are gonna help your game any.. (unless your JDaly and your LoudMouth gear distracts/blinds/flabbergasts your opponents!!)

As for the inconsistant mouse finger...  I recommend a training regimen of a well-balanced diet, plenty of rest and 4-5 hours a day at Mouserobics (when not golfing, of course!)

Peace.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, Feb 17 2010 10:25 AM

ghettocop1:
    After only ten or eleven rounds of shooting amateur, I suddenly jumped to Pro.  Now I am lost, and have lost my ability it seems.  I am having trouble adjusting to the green speeds, longer tees, and wind.  I now can't seem to do much better than 4-6 over.  Is this normal? 

Hi ghetto,

Welcome to the wonderful world of VEM. It only gets tougher from here.

Play well.

• PAGES
RSS