Re: Tier saturation

Mon, Mar 4 2024 9:48 AM (28 replies)
  • dad19733
    164 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2024 6:15 PM

Oh yeah, at the end of the day, it's a game, supposed to be fun

HamdenPro:

dad19733:
    If it was so bad, wgt wouldn't allow it?

It is not "so bad" or even near the worst thing ever, and certainly not against any wgt rules.

My comments were not directed to you, or anyone specific. I was commenting about the youtube video that was linked.

As far as "red tee" champs, to each their own. It is no different that a low handicapper playing from the shortest tees at your local course.

EDIT: After much thought, I am of the opinion that it really does not matter. People should, and do, whatever they want if it makes the game more enjoyable for them.

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2024 6:19 PM

Robert1893:
    While there's nothing inherently wrong with taking that approach, achieving higher tiers while playing from the short tees hardly seems an accomplishment. It's somewhat akin to claiming one can dunk a basketball but the rim is only 6 feet high.

That's a good way to put it.

The analogy I use is this:  There are two ways to reach the summit of Pikes Peak.  You can hike up, or you can drive up.  I have a lot more respect for those who hike 🚶‍♂️

• dad19733
    164 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2024 2:26 AM

Theres another saying, work smart, not hard

I

SamSpayed:

Robert1893:
    While there's nothing inherently wrong with taking that approach, achieving higher tiers while playing from the short tees hardly seems an accomplishment. It's somewhat akin to claiming one can dunk a basketball but the rim is only 6 feet high.

That's a good way to put it.

The analogy I use is this:  There are two ways to reach the summit of Pikes Peak.  You can hike up, or you can drive up.  I have a lot more respect for those who hike 🚶‍♂️

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2024 7:47 AM

dad19733:

That really doesn't apply to what Sam and I are writing,

To reiterate, I didn't indicate there was anything wrong with taking that approach to tier up. Just indicating that approach to tiering up isn't much of an accomplishment to brag about.

I mean, just the other day, I was next to a 2024 Corvette at a stop light. When the light turned green, I smoked him off the line with my 2014 Chevy Cruze! By next light, he was in my rear-view mirror.

Too bad he didn't know we were racing. 

With equipment and balls now available (not to mention apparel), for some courses, almost every hole has a wedge shot for the approach. For practical purposes, they're pitch-and-putts.

As just one example. from the red tees on St. Andrews, I've shot 18-hole rounds of 55 using the starter ball. Simply put: that score doesn't indicate that I've mastered the course. 

• dad19733
    164 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2024 8:06 AM

I didn't know I was bragging? Pretty sure I came looking for help, I can see why so many leave to go to discord. Whether or not you said I'm bragging, bringing the word up implies something. I asked for help, and got judged. 

Robert1893:

dad19733:

That really doesn't apply to what Sam and I are writing,

To reiterate, I didn't indicate there was anything wrong with taking that approach to tier up. Just indicating that approach to tiering up isn't much of an accomplishment to brag about.

I mean, just the other day, I was next to a 2024 Corvette at a stop light. When the light turned green, I smoked him off the line with my 2014 Chevy Cruze! By next light, he was in my rear-view mirror.

Too bad he didn't know we were racing. 

With equipment and balls now available (not to mention apparel), for some courses, almost every hole has a wedge shot for the approach. For practical purposes, they're pitch-and-putts.

As just one example. from the red tees on St. Andrews, I've shot 18-hole rounds of 55 using the starter ball. Simply put: that score doesn't indicate that I've mastered the course. 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2024 9:02 AM

dad19733:
    I didn't know I was bragging? Pretty sure I came looking for help, I can see why so many leave to go to discord. Whether or not you said I'm bragging, bringing the word up implies something. I asked for help, and got judged. 

Dude, none of what I wrote was directed at you. In this thread, it was a separate conversation. But since you quoted me in a reply, that's why I then responded to you in the most recent post. 

If you got judged, it wasn't by me. Didn't say you were bragging and (actually) never thought you were.

• dad19733
    164 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2024 9:26 AM

I'm sorry, thought it was directed at me, misunderstood, again, sorry

Robert1893:

dad19733:

Dude, none of what I wrote was directed at you. In this thread, it was a separate conversation. But since you quoted me in a reply, that's why I then responded to you in the most recent post. 

If you got judged, it wasn't by me. Didn't say you were bragging and (actually) never thought you were.

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2024 9:45 AM

dad19733:

🚗

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2024 9:48 AM

dad19733:
    I'm sorry, thought it was directed at me, misunderstood, again, sorry

No worries.