Forums

Help › Forums

Re: PCEA Community Update August 2020

Sun, Nov 22 2020 8:49 AM (46 replies)
  • ScottHope
    10,129 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 6:34 AM

Kenher01:
    Just curious as to how vertically challenged the Flash Avatar is!?

Scott's To Do List

Measure Flash Avatar

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 7:46 AM

dedBuNNy:
    The short comings in the NV aren't due to inept coders and artists, it's just about money. 

Thanks, DB, that's what I was looking for. Great explanation.

dedBuNNy:
    In the Flash version the avatars are pre-rendered graphic assets

dedBuNNy:
    Creating the avatars would require people who know how to use 3D software

If they had that talent would it just be a matter of creating the avatar and then packaging it with the files that are uploaded when you open the game? Or is that an oversimplification?

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 7:55 AM

ScottHope:

Kenher01:
    Just curious as to how vertically challenged the Flash Avatar is!?

Scott's To Do List

Measure Flash Avatar

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 9:07 AM

YankeeJim:

If they had that talent would it just be a matter of creating the avatar and then packaging it with the files that are uploaded when you open the game? Or is that an oversimplification?

That's a bit more complicated. Couple of ways that can be done, with games that are 'installed' most of the game files reside on your computer, in fact pretty well all games are like that. Even in games that are MP, your player files are on your computer. You'd mostly be getting game play data from their servers, things that you interact with in the game which would need to be streamed to each player in the game, weather, wind, other player interactions. Could be a pretty long list.

The best way would be to have the avatar and player config files on your computer, but this would be hard in the current game.

WGT's problem is that the game still is using a lot of the original game platform. It's still using browser protocols and formatting, as well all the game assets are simply data streamed to you.This is still very much the old game, more than some people think, visually it's different in some areas obviously.

I'm actually surprised at this, I really thought with the new game and using Unity, they were creating a standalone game, perhaps even with some offline capability as well. Having the courses and game files on their servers is no biggie, they'd need to given that they using the same courses etc.  But the rest of it, avatars/characters for example, that's ridiculous and quite frankly just lazy. I don't know what they're reasoning is for it all, money[?], can't all be just money, because even though they've made this new version, it's quite handcuffed as far as where they can go with it, in it's present state.

In a perfect world they should have made two versions.... A TopGolf version, coin games, apparel etc for kids and people who want the real arcade games, and a WGT version, with none of that and a much more enhanced and simulation approach to it, some physics engines, decent 3D assets, better swing and shot options... The game would be a bigger install and there would be some sort of cut-off point as far as your computer goes, but not insane. I could see even charging money for the game, if it was worth it, maybe like even just $19.99 on Steam or something.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 4:24 PM

dedBuNNy:
    The game would be a bigger install and there would be some sort of cut-off point as far as your computer goes, but not insane

Installing anything defeats the premise of browser golf-pick up any connected device and play. Downloads preclude that but the idea of a stand alone version for purchase is a sweet vision.

The question is, as you aptly point out, money. How much to spend vs what you'd get in return. With the existing community as a base the right direction could expand that into something worthwhile. 

High thinking.  ;-)

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Tue, Nov 3 2020 10:12 AM

YankeeJim:

The question is, as you aptly point out, money. How much to spend vs what you'd get in return. With the existing community as a base the right direction could expand that into something worthwhile. 

High thinking.  ;-)

It would be interesting to know the specifics of the merger with regards to WGT and TG as far as copyrights, patents, IP considerations etc. I mean depending on the type of merger it's going to be, Cally may now control WGT completely as an asset, to do with as they see fit.

Guess people will know soon enough. ;)

• Coachcasa
    801 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2020 8:49 AM

After reading this thread, I'm hopeful that improved gameplay and experience updates will be coming.  Here's my list of the most annoying things with the PCEA app versus playing the Flash based game:

I've gotten used to the app on my computer, but I still find judging putts and wedges a bit harder.  I haven't tried playing any multi-player rounds yet, but I hear a lot of complaints. I hate the "billboard" on top of your location indicator on putting-it's very hard to see the dots with that in the way.  I can't stand that I can't see how the ball rolls when I'm pitching and chipping and hitting from the sand from just off of the green. it's hard to learn from it if you don't see how the ball rolls.  Plus it's just annoying to not see where my ball is going until after the shot.

There are a lot of extra clicks in the PCEA game compared to the Flash game.  It's just annoying.  When you switch your club you have to pick the club and then click off of the club selector instead of just one click. It slows things down and little things like that are annoying to your game play experience.  

I'm also VERY annoyed by the whole out of game experience in the app.  There are plenty of things I do on the website that I can't do on the app.  Is there a way to send messages?  Also, you can't see or save replays.  Bye bye to my hole in ones I've saved.  I should have recorded them!  When you go into the store it's cumbersome to try and compare items to the ones you own.  I know you can click on each item and click the button to see how it compares.  Also when you finish a round in a tournament, it takes you back out to your main screen.  I like how in the Flash game it puts you in the lobby of the tournament so you can see where you are on the leaderboard.  In the app, you have to click on Country Club-Torunaments-the tourney you are playing-Leaderboard to see where you stand.  I also don't like how they list the tournaments.  I find it easier to see the info on the flash version. 

I also hate the whole arcade/casual style game feel.  It looks and feels a lot less realistic than the Flash game and one of the reason I play this is for the realistic simulation play.  I hate the casual game stuff with coins and apparel and rewards of the app.  Not that the apparel is the most important part, but I looked my look in the Flash game and they don't give you many options to change this in the app.

I also find the app a bit buggy on my MacBook Pro.  I have plenty of power on my computer, but I find the meter stutters occasionally and sometimes it won't load a tournament.  Also it takes a long time to load versus other large programs n my computer and is very finicky about my internet even though I have a pretty fast connection.  

I find myself going between the app and the website all of the time and it's annoying.  I hope someone is reading this stuff and planning to make improvements. 

RSS