Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Another way to Putt

Sun, Dec 10 2023 2:44 AM (100 replies)
  • PinseekerPDX
    11 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2020 7:35 AM

You might find this spread sheet helpful for putting.  It's for both speed & break. Just enter the numbers in the colored cells EXCEPT the YELLOW.  As for the putter Percentages. If yours are different, change the speed from 20, 40, 60, 80 ,100, 300 to what your putter is & to get the percent to match click on the percent cell. You'll see the formula just below the tool bar. Change only the speed for your putter not the C5.  After entering the data to get your speed, all you need to get the break is the dot speed.  No need to enter the Green speed, distance & elevation twice. Hope this works for you.

Here's the link for the calculator below. Use Google sheets

Cheers, PinseekerPDX@gmail.com

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ahow_YjDiTPZXYTzKl65vFSfBRdSjxCeEEe1mVaNvF4/edit#gid=0

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2020 7:17 AM

PinseekerPDX:

You might find this spread sheet helpful for putting.  It's for both speed & break. Just enter the numbers in the colored cells EXCEPT the YELLOW.  As for the putter Percentages. If yours are different, change the speed from 20, 40, 60, 80 ,100, 300 to what your putter is & to get the percent to match click on the percent cell. You'll see the formula just below the tool bar. Change only the speed for your putter not the C5.  After entering the data to get your speed, all you need to get the break is the dot speed.  No need to enter the Green speed, distance & elevation twice. Hope this works for you.

Here's the link for the calculator below. Use Google sheets

Cheers, PinseekerPDX@gmail.com

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ahow_YjDiTPZXYTzKl65vFSfBRdSjxCeEEe1mVaNvF4/edit#gid=0

i find this interesting except it's extremely difficult to utilize in mobile because you could literally be there counting the dots for 20 seconds.

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2020 4:15 AM

Papabukk:

Any way you might simplify that formula for us math challenged folk?

is tat green speed divided by dots times distance minus elevation? Sorry I’m not understanding. 

Thanks in advance. 

I've simplified it to this.....

First calculate (green speed divided by dot speed) - save that number

Then calculate (distance minus elevation) - save that number

Then multiply the 2 numbers you get in step 1 and 2

Then divide that number you get in 3 by 1.25

• Yiannis1970
    3,261 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2020 11:27 AM
    The hole is wide not 4 inches but 4 1/4 inches which makes 10.8 centimeters. Therefore the whole grid is not 24 inches in any case. It's 30 (29,75 to be exact) cause there's room for 7 cups on a grid. I can upload a pic if someone's in doubt.
  • Yiannis1970
    3,261 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2020 11:41 AM

And another thing that i forgot...JC's method is a work of a genius!!

As for the previous post, there's the pic...

Tmn1Vyj

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,465 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2020 1:17 PM

Yiannis1970:

And another thing that i forgot...JC's method is a work of a genius!!

As for the previous post, there's the pic...

Tmn1Vyj

Good post with a nice illustration, Yannis.

I never used JC's method (it was always strongly recommended by Sean (11BC2) though) because it wasn't precise enough for the new version. Instead, I was able to draw some satisfactory results with G0LD's putting formula. And it works with the new (PCEA, mobile) version, too.

• Yiannis1970
    3,261 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 12:03 AM
    Cheers Simon. The only thing you had to do for the new version (in standard mode putt) was at the end of the calculation to multiply with 1.7.
  • SimonTheBeetle
    3,465 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 1:06 AM

Thanks, Yannis. I'll give it a try.

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 3:25 PM

Yiannis1970:
    there's room for 7 cups on a grid.

saw an update to this thread so dropped in...

??? I am not sure how you squeezed 7 cups into one grid.  from the image provided the left grid line cuts through the first hole about 1/3 to 1/4 of the way into the hole then the 7th cup only makes it about 1/4 of the way.

at best I think you could argue 6 cups fit within a grid but not sure how to interpret 7 fitting inside unless that was a typo.  

either way, I believe Danny's / Naturali's explanation was always based on 24 inch grid and on the premise that all grids are equal versus changing grid sizes. 

update - went back to EA and found a screen ruler that could measure pixels and checked 3 different game window sizes then estimated how many would fit within 1 grid on each --  small window (5 cups)  med (5.5 cups) and nearly full screen (5.6 cups). 

on the premise a cup is 4.25 inches using the largest display setting result of 5.6 cups = 23.82 inches, which sounds pretty close to 24 or close enough.  Maybe the smaller formats get squished a bit.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 3:39 PM

Tim14121989:

Tried some of these calculations myself.

Down hill putts will calculate (way!) too much break in this formula. 

Down hill putts are an issue, there needs to be something extra to that, or a different quotation...

How hard are you hitting it?  Danny's formula is based on "drop dead" weight.  If you hit it harder, that might explain your issue.

RSS