Help › Forums

Re: Quartering Winds

rated by 0 users
Sat, Oct 7 2017 1:30 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • RickRR
    119 Posts
    Fri, Oct 6 2017 5:02 AM
    Thank you, and I agree fun course when it is going well. May go chart my clubs for 1/2 BS shots. These irons are new to me also, had them about 2 weeks. I had the Nike Vapors but had the same results with those. Must be OHS (operator head space).
  • RickRR
    119 Posts
    Fri, Oct 6 2017 5:05 AM
    Thank you, never thought of using top spin on long irons, but I have been using it more and more on my wedges with good results. Another to chart. Thanks again
  • cougarclaw
    138 Posts
    Fri, Oct 6 2017 8:35 AM
    Hitting a ball into the wind automatically creates extra backspin in my experience .
  • Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Fri, Oct 6 2017 8:54 AM
    YankeeJim:
    A 4i goes a hell of a lot farther than 200-195.
    I hope your not playing that flat.... I am playing FBS
  • RickRR
    119 Posts
    Fri, Oct 6 2017 9:01 AM
    Woodoworkery:
    YankeeJim:
    A 4i goes a hell of a lot farther than 200-195.
    I hope your not playing that flat.... I am playing FBS
    My 4 iron (APEX iron set) is rated at 210, but with full backspin I have charted 196 - 200 and with no backspin off the fairway I have charted as much as 216.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Oct 6 2017 9:19 AM
    RickRR:
    Thank you, never thought of using top spin on long irons,
    A lot of players don't either, it's all about the exact number. Full back spin or nothing. However, a real golfer understands what happens when you hit under head winds and get the ball rolling. Punches are quite effective for this, especially on the links courses. Don't bother trying to chart something like that, it takes true golf sense to be effective with it because the ground is involved, particularly strategic slopes.

IMO, the best thing you can do is learn the carry of your clubs, not how far they go. Then you can get a true sense of what different spin does. GL.

• RickRR
    119 Posts
    Fri, Oct 6 2017 9:56 AM
    Thanks again, what I did when I got these new clubs a couple of weeks ago was this: 1. Thank WGT for making the clubs. 2. Went to Bethpage Black B9 on the T Box and fairway, 3 Kept restarting until I go the wind at a 3 or 9 o'clock direction and wind speed relatively low. 4. Hit each club with No spin and with full backspin and using the little box in right hand corner only wrote down the carry. Didn't care how far it went. this 5. Did this for 100% down to 85%, I figured anything less would be found on a different club. If my calculations are correct, I think now I have to go and see what kind of roll out I get with Top spin so I can maybe hit shorter and roll.
  • Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Oct 7 2017 8:29 AM
    I would not get too wrapped in TSpin personally. In this game which is just a computer sim we can get close without back in stance punching for most irons. Call that gaming if you like, but I believe it's usually the best way to compete against those great scores. Punching is an extremely useful wedge shot (PW too) , and the odd plain topspin shot off a tee to get off a hill / go under a tree, but that's real specific hole knowledge as is which play long etc......... Here is a mapping vid (courtesy Young46).....https://youtu.be/lkqEvo6NZ_0 Wind calc - courtesy WalkOLife - https://youtu.be/IUkPMQYGJ2A Variances in result will exist and that is just the game........... Now if you watch those vids you will see how much work goes in.............One day I will get too grips with a bit more of that stuff. Laziness stops me, but my rough and ready stuff that is ultra quick to get to grips with gets me close in the stuff I play enough..............How far you go into it will no doubt reap rewards though...............................................Loads more than those two links, and worth having a good look around those channels. Also note I am not saying do not use topspin, but IMO seldom / sparingly at most, save marrying up yardages with wedges.
  • RickRR
    119 Posts
    Sat, Oct 7 2017 1:30 PM
    Thank you good stuff on the videos. I pretty much did the same thing when I charted my clubs.
  • PAGES
RSS