Help › Forums

Re: Bug List Database

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 28 2009 6:33 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2009 6:44 PM

First of all the bug tracker as you would call it, would be integrated in the software that directly accesses the database. And yes this is trivial through ADO connectivity.  In other words it is easy to set the options in the software.  MsAccess has alot of built in features that allow for filtering, queries etc.  You can address the number of times the problem has arisen to determine where the problem areas are.  This can tell you which areas to address first.  Eliminate issues and determine cause affects.

Apologize for being blunt, but being an Engineer has given me insight into areas that most people don't see.  Also, by the way, I'm not a programmer by trade, but written allot of custom software for my own uses that is used in writing my descertation (PHd).

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2009 7:00 PM

Wow... and here i am just a guy who likes to play golf.  Didn't know we had to be grad students to play!!  (kidding of course..)  =)

btw, if you're going to write your dissertation, I really think you need to get 'dissertation' right, don't you?

Go get 'em!! 

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2009 7:03 PM

All I'm saying is I've seen many bug-tracker systems that did not work properly, and were misleading and bug-ridden themselves. From which I concluded they are probably not easy to set up and maintain. You say that is not so, and I concede to the Engineer's words, fearing one of Sabbath27's acrid cartoons.  

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2009 7:58 PM

I apologize for being blunt.  But the advances in programming languages in recent years has made it easier for the developer in some cases.  Databases for one is now a breeze.  Integration between software platforms has become easier.  Now, I may only program in Delphi (pascal syntax type language), learned in university days.   However, setting up the database separately and then integrating it to the software is the way to proceed.  As for the database itself, I use Microsoft Access.  I find it easy to use, SQL is a snap with its built in parser and builder.  You can assign names to each and access them through ADO.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2009 8:08 PM

Touche, on dissertation.  Taking a breather, brain fried, and this is a great diversion.

But really, I get annoyed at times as I see the great potential this site has.  It is one of a kind in my opinion.  The amount of work that goes into developing software at this scale is enormous.  So in my opinion they must have something already setup to keep them on track.  Why not share an abridge version of it with the members here at WGT.  Doesn't need to show all the details that they are addressing, but the problem areas, and maybe some of the sub problem areas. It would definitely provide the appropriate feedback.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2009 5:49 AM

Infinito3010:
    The amount of work that goes into developing software at this scale is enormous.

Then again, I heard Nivlac say something like, "I do realize how small the WGT team really is." My impression is the same as Infinito3010's: this site looks like a gigantic project, I'm a lot more impressed by it than by TWO, & I can't see how this game can be successfully developed & maintained by "a really small team".   Does anyone have a rough idea of the number of people on WGT's staff? Is the number at least comparable with the size of the staff responsible for TWO on the part of EA Sports?

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2009 6:33 AM

The EA team has been around for awhile.  Thus, also having Tiger Woods being endorsed in their game probably makes it more economically feasible. 

If the WGT Team as you say is small, then they do have their work cut out for them.  However, they must be doing tremendous amount of work.  Especially the last major update where they essentially resolved most of the multi-player issues the members were experiencing.   Also, we are not aware of the other development work in progress.  That is why I say, a short note to the group once every couple of weeks would go along way in alleviating the issues that are continually being hashed in this forum.

• PAGES
RSS