Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Legend Putting

Fri, Apr 15 2011 8:42 AM (37 replies)
  • hbthree
    478 Posts
    Wed, Apr 13 2011 2:50 PM

YankeeJim:

The green speeds aren't different for each player, Harve. The speed defaults to that of the highest tiered player in the foursome and everybody plays the same speed. This is where the confusion mounts because TMs that think they're playing on their green speeds in AS matches where a Legend is playing actually aren't. They're playing on the Legend version. Everybody else is too.

FWIW I make it a routine to mention this during mixed AS matches.

I respectfully beg to differ, Jim..When one plays a ranked or scored round in a multiplayer match the greens are not the same speed for varying tiers....H

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 13 2011 2:53 PM

I smell a bet.   :-)

*edit-I'll take it easy on you because you're older than me. From the FAQs.........

If I'm playing with other players in a multi player game, what green speed will we play on?

When playing with other players, the green speed will default to the green speed for the highest-tiered player in the group. For example, if two Amateurs and one Pro player are playing in a group, the green speed will be "Fast" based on the Pro player default speed.

(I coulda taken you for some Callys!)   ;-)

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Thu, Apr 14 2011 8:15 AM

Jim...you are correct that the game defaults to the "green speed" for the higher tiered player; however,  the kicker is that when a legend plays, the greens default to "tournament" speed, but tournament speed for a TM is less fast than that for a legend.  For instance when Warren and I play (Warren is a TM as you know)...his math and mine are exactly the same save his multiplier is .75-.77 depending on the course and mine is .68-.70 depending on the course.  We have placed our balls side by side on the green and both hit dinged putts with the same power, on the same meter, with the same putter and his distance is  consistently  ~90% of mine.....

YankeeJim:

I smell a bet.   :-)

*edit-I'll take it easy on you because you're older than me. From the FAQs.........

If I'm playing with other players in a multi player game, what green speed will we play on?

When playing with other players, the green speed will default to the green speed for the highest-tiered player in the group. For example, if two Amateurs and one Pro player are playing in a group, the green speed will be "Fast" based on the Pro player default speed.

(I coulda taken you for some Callys!)   ;-)

HB3

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Apr 14 2011 8:29 AM

I'm not sure what you're illustrating there, Harve. It's common knowledge the 2 Tournament speeds are not the same but when you mix tiers you will always get the higher speed and a TM has to adjust for it.

Warren doesn't putt the same way in a game against you as he would in a game against another TM. If he is doing it that way then I'm sure you're seeing a higher incidence of lip outs and 3-4 foot slide- bys.

Compare your two methods on the faster greens at Oakmont and look for a downhill putt. If Warren putts like a TM there on Legend greens he will be in big trouble.

• Sanco
    1,345 Posts
    Thu, Apr 14 2011 5:16 PM

I concur with Jim here, and when I play with lower tiers I often try to warn them about their new green speed for the game. Also when I play with legends I need to re-adjust my speeds - always.

• nellyg
    402 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2011 5:04 AM

How do you distinguish which tourny green you are on in a CC tournament?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2011 5:08 AM

nellyg:

You can't. Silly as it sounds the only way to find out is by putting on them. :(

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, Apr 15 2011 8:42 AM

nellyg:

I wonder if you look at who created the tourney...i/e say a Legend does, if the speed is the faster of the two?

RSS