Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Extra meter

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 4 2009 11:44 AM (39 replies)
  • lilmike24
    185 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 3:23 AM

c'mon. anybody got anything else. the administrator said that they are deciding on what features and controls to use and that they have got a lot of ideas from this. Keep the ideas comning !

• RyanTM
    15 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 7:48 AM

At this point, i think anything that helps shape the shot is an improvement. I say come out with something, wait for the feedback, and go forward from there.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 8:31 AM

I agree with avatarlee`s idea. I`ve played several snes golf games with very similar features which worked great without too high of a learning curve. His idea actually improves upon the way to implement it. Also, if it`s too much for a beginer they simply don`t have to use it until they`re ready.      Adjusting for fade and draw by moving the feet and/or arrows seems to be simple enough to include with what we have already.   Setting the trajectory is just as important imo and, just as easy to incorporate with the existing setup. Arrows and/or click and drag.   The question of degrees of difficulty for mis-hits is dependent on whether this will eliminate the beast or not. I`d have nightmares of a penalized mis-hit coupled with the "Beast"!  Actually I hope that this is what all these great ideas and improvements will do. Kill the Beast! With the proper degrees of penalizing mis-hits there is no need for any deviations, atleast not as much. The word I`m looking for is "subtle". O.E.D.-  1-subtle-so delicate or precise that it is difficult to analize or describe.2-cleverly achieving an effect in a way that is not immediately obvious.   As it is now, hitting a bug with a sledge hammer is the norm for deviation.   Back to Lee`s idea of moving the meter bar. Spot on! Ofcoarse I say this because it would probably help me with my erratic  performance of executing a pure hit. I`m better at a changing target than a sitting duck. Seriously though, this would give some difficulty to an advanced type of shot without the sledgehammer approach!  The occasional stone or clump of grass between the club and ball is realistic,even the sudden gust of wind, not a draft of a 747 flying 100ft. over the fairway. Sorry for dragging this old subject up. My point is, these great improvements will only be so-so if subtlety isn`t applied. As I`ve read many of the best players on this site say-give us the info and options to apply, then let Us screw it up! I`m really looking foreward to these improvements. Keep up the great work WGT!!     Oh, did I mention SUBTLETY.

• BiminiBen
    53 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 8:31 AM

I like Lee's suggestion, simple yet not too easy to accomplish the perfect shot.  Another suggestion that I would like to see is a gimme button in multiplayer.  I realize that most puts under 2' are pretty much gimmies anyway but having a button would save time and resources.  I haven't thought too much about how it could work but lets say you are in a 2-player match, your opponent could have the option of granting you a "gimmie" if he wanted to concede a putt to you.  If in more than a 2-player match, it would take the consent of all the opposing players, ie they all must concede the putt in order for it to be a gimmie.  Just a thought, it's worth what you paid for it!

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 9:32 AM

you can't concede putts in strokeplay comps all putts must be holed out. its the course your playing not your playing partners. in matchplay a putt or the hole can be conceded at anytime. i expect matchplay settings to be in a future upgrade release.

• BiminiBen
    53 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 11:48 AM

I realize those are the rules but over on this side of the pond, in friendly rounds, it happens all the time.  It just speeds up play and I suspect it would be the same on here.  Most MP rounds are not played in competition so no harm, no foul.

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 1:36 PM

i agree totally friendly games it would speed things up. so would halveing shot time to 45 seconds in multiplay at present you can have 3mins with warning to play your shot 2x90 secs. that could even be lowered to 30 secs for putts under 5ft. even with a warning you have 1 minute to play your shot.

i'm sure this is all been covered in the forums a hundred times. just put that incase the forum police are watching lol.

• WGTadmin2
    1,152 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 4:55 PM

Great feedback, please keep it focused on shot shaping. There is more than enough to figure out with that one feature.

thanks

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 7:17 AM

i knew the forum police were watching

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 11:44 AM

shot shaping is bad enough in real life. alingment,stance, swing path, ball position, wind direction and speed then commit to the shot.

the ball goes further with a draw than with a fade so WGT you need to take that into account.

at the moment i miss the centre line left or right to hold the ball in to the wind or bring it back on it. i very rarely hit the centre line or move the marker away from the pin to set the line. the same with the putting. shot shapeing  i would see as a aid to get out of trouble or miss trees etc rather than a must have part of the game.

good luck in whatever you come up with WGT people will adapt to whatever the final system is.

RSS